Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV turns off plugged into surge protector

I have a very inexpensive surge protector with my digital cable box
and 19" CRT tv plugged into it. Last night, about 1 min after I turned
the tv on, it turned off and would not turn back on. I unplugged it
and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again. So I got out
a power strip and plugged it into the same wall outlet. I plugged the
tv into the power strip and the tv worked normally. What does this
mean? Is something wrong with the surge protector or the tv? The cable
box works fine plugged into the surge protector.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 24, 2:09*pm, Jo wrote:
I have a very inexpensive surge protector with my digital cable box
and 19" CRT tv plugged into it. Last night, about 1 min after I turned
the tv on, it turned off and would not turn back on. I unplugged it
and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again. So I got out
a power strip and plugged it into the same wall outlet. I plugged the
tv into the power strip and the tv worked normally. What does this
mean?

Is something wrong with the surge protector or the tv?

Just the surge protector is the problem. It may have a bad plug or
connection to the plug.

The cable
box works fine plugged into the surge protector.

Likely that plug is functional, the other for the TV is not. Try a new
surge protector. Better yet, have a surge protector installed in your
electric service panel and end the problem permanently.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 3:51*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 24, 2:09*pm, Jo wrote:

[...]

I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you
will be without electricity until fixed.
It happened to a neighbor.
I had a lot of individual units fried in a voltage surge but equipment
was protected.
If the light in the surge protector no longer works, it should be
replaced.
One of those "el cheapo's" cost me a microwave oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you
will be without electricity until fixed.
It happened to a neighbor.

Nonsense. They don't cut off the power to the house, unless the main breaker
actually trips, which is trivial to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2010 5:46 PM, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you
will be without electricity until fixed.
It happened to a neighbor.

Nonsense. They don't cut off the power to the house, unless the main breaker
actually trips, which is trivial to fix.

As I understand, the whole surge protector blew and had to be replaced.
She's not an immediate neighbor and I have no details but she had to
bring in an electrician to replace/repair it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 9/24/2010 5:46 PM, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you
will be without electricity until fixed.
It happened to a neighbor.

Nonsense. They don't cut off the power to the house, unless the main
breaker actually trips, which is trivial to fix.

As I understand, the whole surge protector blew and had to be
replaced. She's not an immediate neighbor and I have no details but
she had to bring in an electrician to replace/repair it.

Yes, replacing it might be necessary. But it shouldn't compromise power to the
house. The ones I've seen are usually connected through a breaker, so
disconnecting it until you can replace it shouldn't be a problem either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2010 8:08 PM, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 9/24/2010 5:46 PM, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you
will be without electricity until fixed.
It happened to a neighbor.

Nonsense. They don't cut off the power to the house, unless the main
breaker actually trips, which is trivial to fix.

As I understand, the whole surge protector blew and had to be
replaced. She's not an immediate neighbor and I have no details but
she had to bring in an electrician to replace/repair it.

Yes, replacing it might be necessary. But it shouldn't compromise power to the
house. The ones I've seen are usually connected through a breaker, so
disconnecting it until you can replace it shouldn't be a problem either.

The one that came with this house sits between meter and meter base. No
idea if it still protects anything, since there is a red light on the
side of it that has been lit since I bought the place.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote:
I have a very inexpensive surge protector with my digital cable box
and 19" CRT tv plugged into it. Last night, about 1 min after I turned
the tv on, it turned off and would not turn back on. I unplugged it
and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again. So I got out
a power strip and plugged it into the same wall outlet. I plugged the
tv into the power strip and the tv worked normally. What does this
mean? Is something wrong with the surge protector or the tv? The cable
box works fine plugged into the surge protector.

---
"Doc, it hurts when I do this (raises arm above head)."

"Then don't do that."
---
Pitch the alleged surge protector. Most cheap surge protectors are like
fuses, they only work once. But, unlike fuses, surge protectors don't tell
you when they quit protecting against surges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 2:51*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 24, 2:09*pm, Jo wrote:

[...]

As it turns out, it's the tv that's the problem. It's turning off when
plugged into the power strip. It doesn't turn off all the time though.
Last night it turned off twice and then it was ok. But, I can't turn
it on again until I unlug it from the power strip for several seconds
or I turn the power strip off for several seconds. Does anyone have
any ideas as to what the problem could be?