Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In-line water filter

On Sep 13, 4:52*pm, willshak wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

On Sep 13, 1:25 pm, keith wrote:

On Sep 13, 9:45 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 13, 10:52 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"harry" wrote

* Non filtered water in my town ruins a good cup of tea,
coffee, or bourbon.

Still applies. *Where do you suppose your water comes from? * Streams
and ponds/lakes. *Or worse, from wells.

Does not apply. My water comes from the town water treatment plant where is
is purified. *Then it travels through some very old pipes where it picks up
some rust and associated taste that my filter eliminates. * The really nasty
stuf the article refers to has long been gone.

Your water comes from streams and lakes. *It doesn't appear by magic
at the treatment plant.

Many cities get their water from wells.

The water company makes it safe (ish) to drink and adds chlorine.They
couldn't possibly afford to do much else. *If you take the chlorine
out and keep the water for a period bugs build up. they may or may not
be harmful.

There are standards for pH and hardness. *Cities do soften water and
adjust pH. *There is a lot they can do to water.

Any tastes in the water are largely subjective.. *All water has many
things dissolved in it. *After a while one gets used to the taste of
the local water and don't notice the it.

One may "get used" to the local water, in as much as one can tolerate
it. *Lousy tasting water will always taste bad, though. *Good water,
likewise.- Hide quoted text -

"Lousy tasting water will always taste bad"

My favorite is the water that has been sitting in a hose for a week or
2 during the dog days of summer.

mmm...mmm...good!

You drink the water from a garden hose in the Summer without draining
the hot water from it?
It's hot enough to scald my hand. I would never consider putting it in
my mouth.
I even drain the water from it before watering the plants.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"You drink the water from a garden hose in the Summer without
draining the hot water from it?"

Only when the toilet's empty.

"It's hot enough to scald my hand."

The water in your hose gets above 120 degrees? In Hamptonburgh, NY?
Wow!

"I even drain the water from it before watering the plants."

Very wasteful. Do you really think that the small amount of warm water
from a hose is going to hurt your plants, especially if applied
through a spray nozzle? The heat will be dissipated so quickly it
couldn't possibly harm a plant.

In fact, some studies have shown that warmer water is better than cold
water for most plants. *Hot* water is sometimes used to kill fungus
gnats, although one certainly has to be careful when applying it near
the roots.

My wife has some beautiful gardens around our house and the only place
she drains the hoses is into the gardens themselves.

She also tends the gardens at the adult day-care farm where she works.
Trust me, she's not draining the long hoses that lay around in the sun
all day before she waters the plants/vegetables.