Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling Question

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 11:22:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon
that
will think it's a pretty shade?

Why not? If you like black wall, go ahead. Sure it would make it harder to
sell as is, but for $20 and a couple of hours work, it will have a fresh
paint job come sales time. Meantime, you got years of joy from the funereal
setting in your own home.

House shopping, I've learned to look past the "obvious".

Motorcycle oil stains in the carpeted living room, motor oil rings
around the bath tub. Walls painted like a disco and such.

If the house in a good location has good bones, something's can be
looked past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

Might want to tone it down a bit.

If you're still reading the thread, my apologies, Kate. I took out my
frustration on you and you didn't deserve it. I'm annoyed with this
resale value god that comes up on a.h.r. so frequently and that so many
people worship so fervently. You may have gathered that in my book, it's
absolute nonsense. If you plan to sell soon, that's one thing. If you
don't, then I'd make exactly *zero* choices about *anything* based on
what you or anyone else thinks some random fictitious person might like
at some indeterminate future time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a
house was measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the
house" yardstick.

So you're flippers. Kate isn't. She plans to stay indefinitely. And
she doesn't want the second sink. She wants more counter space. So
your advice to her is to live with a useless sink and too little
counter space for the next 20 years, just because your wife would
walk away from the house? Seriously, that is insane advice, and I
hope Kate doesn't take it.

How about a compromise? Couldn't the extra sink be covered with a scrap
piece of plywood?

Or just fill it up with Jell-O. In a neutral color, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 09:44:46 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a house was
measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

So you're flippers.

You're an idiot, but there is nothing new here.

Kate isn't.

No, she seems quite sane.

She plans to stay indefinitely.

Plans always change, particularly in this economic climate and it's not going
to get better soon.

And she
doesn't want the second sink. She wants more counter space.

She was asking if it was smart to take it out. Asked and answered.

So your
advice to her is to live with a useless sink and too little counter
space for the next 20 years, just because your wife would walk away from
the house? Seriously, that is insane advice, and I hope Kate doesn't
take it.

I answered her question. You're the idiot who thinks he knows all.

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon that
will think it's a pretty shade?

g.f. loves dark, bold colors, and every room is painted such in her/our
place. I don't give a rat's ass whether anyone else likes it or not.

When you're ready to sell, you'll care. You'll be painting everything back
beige.

When we bought the place, every wall in every room was painted the same
particularly gruesome shade of yellow. We bought it and painted. Isn't
that what people do? Change things to their own liking? If we ever sell
it, and someone walks away because they can't live in a house without
off-white everywhere and are afraid to paint, well, so what?

You're an idiot. So what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:07:46 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote
aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.
Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and
was wondering what to do.

What, are you retarded? Of all the lame ass **** that comes up on here,

No need to get abusive, Smitty. Kate has been coming here hat in hand,
never pretending to be anything but a newbie, and most of us have been
practicing our 'plays nice with others' skills with her. The learning
curve has to start somewhere, etc.

Not meaning to abuse Kate, just feel pretty strongly about my position,
and when I feel strongly I speak strongly. Nobody *ever* talked about

Might want to tone it down a bit. She isnt retarded for asking an opinion.
She's getting information from many of us on what we think, and adding it up
to make a decision. Other times, you get the 'never used this product, have
any done so and if so what did you find' (I posted one of those just today
on an exterior wood preservative brand).

What I think would help, is if we had a pic of the bathroom in question with
some dimensions. All we know now is she wants to preserve resale value as a
contingincy she may need and is in an area where the double sink seems
common.

That she doesnt 'plan to move' doesnt mean she may never need to do so and
she is wisely asking for input (but will decide herself).

Exactly. She asked and my advice is leave the second sink, if at all
possible. Never limit yourself unnecessarily.

I didn't bother to ask any here on resale value as I look over a bathroom
re-do. I need to make it wheelchair accessable. That means the tub has to
move to along the exterior wall and have a special lip and closing doors so
I can have both. Tiolet and sink have to move to where the tub/shower is
now. The fact is done right, it will have a better resale value but I'm
looking at it as what I need to do so I don't have to move to a resthome
because i can't get in my own bathroom in a few years.

I'd be more worried about her postage stamp kitchen on resale than a second
sink.

That's a different discussion. There may be no way to solve this problem but
there also is no reason to make things unnecessarily worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

She was asking if it was smart to take it out. Asked and answered.

Albeit incorrectly by you, and correctly by me.

When you're ready to sell, you'll care. You'll be painting everything back
beige.

No, I won't. I'll sell the house to someone who isn't a pussy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

If you leave the plumbing, it wouldn't be all that expensive to
put back the second sink when you decided to sell.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 11:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Might want to tone it down a bit.

If you're still reading the thread, my apologies, Kate. I took out my
frustration on you and you didn't deserve it. I'm annoyed with this
resale value god that comes up on a.h.r. so frequently and that so many
people worship so fervently. You may have gathered that in my book, it's
absolute nonsense. If you plan to sell soon, that's one thing. If you
don't, then I'd make exactly *zero* choices about *anything* based on
what you or anyone else thinks some random fictitious person might like
at some indeterminate future time.

AMEN! I agree. it took me a bunch of years to talk my dad OUT of
putting those scorching hot fingerhut seat covers on the car seats the
day he would purchase a car. I always said "who are you preserving
those seats FOR?". I say use the seat your self and enjoy it. Screw a
bunch of resale value.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 11:56 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In articlezLKdnVwaXPL8aR7RnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@earthlink .com,
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
z wrote:

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a
house was measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the
house" yardstick.

So you're flippers. Kate isn't. She plans to stay indefinitely. And
she doesn't want the second sink. She wants more counter space. So
your advice to her is to live with a useless sink and too little
counter space for the next 20 years, just because your wife would
walk away from the house? Seriously, that is insane advice, and I
hope Kate doesn't take it.

How about a compromise? Couldn't the extra sink be covered with a scrap
piece of plywood?

Or just fill it up with Jell-O. In a neutral color, of course.

yes, some Overland Park beige jello. LMMFAO!!!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

AMEN! I agree. it took me a bunch of years to talk my dad OUT of putting
those scorching hot fingerhut seat covers on the car seats the day he
would purchase a car. I always said "who are you preserving those seats
FOR?". I say use the seat your self and enjoy it. Screw a bunch of
resale value.

--
Steve Barker

It was the same with my FIL. I guess it may be part carryover from the days
of mohair seat covers when a cover of any sort was welcomed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 11:49*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"cshenk" wrote:
Might want to tone it down a bit.

If you're still reading the thread, my apologies, Kate. I took out my
frustration on you and you didn't deserve it. I'm annoyed with this
resale value god that comes up on a.h.r. so frequently and that so many
people worship so fervently. You may have gathered that in my book, it's
absolute nonsense. If you plan to sell soon, that's one thing. If you
don't, then I'd make exactly *zero* choices about *anything* based on
what you or anyone else thinks some random fictitious person might like
at some indeterminate future time.

Its a shame you didn't say it that way the first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:23:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

She was asking if it was smart to take it out. Asked and answered.

Albeit incorrectly by you, and correctly by me.

You're an illiterate, too.

When you're ready to sell, you'll care. You'll be painting everything back
beige.

No, I won't. I'll sell the house to someone who isn't a pussy.

No, you won't sell it because that "pussy" may have been the only one who
otherwise wanted your house. IOW, you're an idiot, but that's been said
before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:33:43 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

Who knows but what some future buyer (if
there ever is one) wouldn't walk in and say the same thing Kate did:
"sheesh, this bathroom is way too small for two sinks."

Smitty, you're psychic.

Or is that psychotic?

Steve

In my former job, we just sent them to the "hat doctor". Both kinds.

Almost always they would ask me what was wrong with him, when I called
in an appointment? Phuck! I don't know, I'm not a doctor!! He likes
corn flakes thumped under the cell door. Does that count?

_Hat Doctor_ was a code name, invented by the captive audience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 10:50*am, "
wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 23:38:45 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

On 9/2/2010 1:43 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
* *wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. *It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

What, are you retarded? Of all the lame ass **** that comes up on here,
the one that fries me the most is this insane worship of the God of
Resale Value. If you're staying there, **** the resale value. Put in
lime green shag carpet. Use T1-11 for flooring like my friend's old boss
did. Paint the shingles pink.

Tear out the worthless-to-you second sink and give yourself the
countertop room you want. Sheesh. I bet you bought a new car with
leather seats and then instead of enjoying them, you covered them with
plastic to protect the Almighty Resale Value, didn't you?

No need to get abusive, Smitty. Kate has been coming here hat in hand,
never pretending to be anything but a newbie, and most of us have been
practicing our 'plays nice with others' skills with her. The learning
curve has to start somewhere, etc.

Not meaning to abuse Kate, just feel pretty strongly about my position,
and when I feel strongly I speak strongly. Nobody *ever* talked about
"resale value" until the real estate speculation game started. You
bought a house, you lived in it til you died, one of your kids moved in
and raised his family there. You did whatever the hell you wanted to do
to make it comfortable for *you and your family, period.*

You obviously don't get out much. *Everything we've ever done on a house was
measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

OTOH, If Kate's too timid to make her own house comfortable for herself
without worrying about some fictitious future owner's issues, maybe she
*should* be jostled a little. Who knows but what some future buyer (if
there ever is one) wouldn't walk in and say the same thing Kate did:
"sheesh, this bathroom is way too small for two sinks."

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon that
will think it's a pretty shade?

We paint the walls whatever color we like, because we're the ones who
live there. If the unthinkable happened and we had to relocate to
find
a job, we'd re-paint some of them a neutral color. It doesn't take
long
to do (buy) that sort of paint job.

When my estate sells the house, I don't care how much they get for it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 4:22 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

If you leave the plumbing, it wouldn't be all that expensive to put back
the second sink when you decided to sell.

nancy

I decided to stay with two sinks. I did not know that I could not
change the sink arrangement after I ordered the sinks. It worked out
anyway, as I decided to keep both sinks.

If I kept only one sink, I would have centered it on the new counter
top. That would have made it awkward to add a second sink later to make
it look uniform. To top it off, I am having quartz (Silestone) counter
tops installed and a new owner may not want to spend the extra money to
hire a certified Silestone installer to come back and cut another sink hole.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Kate