Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oiling a fan

I have an old window fan, maybe 50 yrs old that works great but it
hasnt been oiled or used in maybe 20 years. Today I put it to use in a
window. Its a quality unit US made of course with a large motor with 2
oil ports, I put about 10 drops of oil in each port but I wonder if
this is enough oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/30/2010 2:24 PM, ransley wrote:
I have an old window fan, maybe 50 yrs old that works great but it
hasnt been oiled or used in maybe 20 years. Today I put it to use in a
window. Its a quality unit US made of course with a large motor with 2
oil ports, I put about 10 drops of oil in each port but I wonder if
this is enough oil.

does it run?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 4:10*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/30/2010 2:24 PM, ransley wrote:

I have an old window fan, maybe 50 yrs old that works great but it
hasnt been oiled or used in maybe 20 years. Today I put it to use in a
window. Its a quality unit US made of course with a large motor with 2
oil ports, I put about 10 drops of oil in each port but I wonder if
this is enough oil.

does it run?

--
Steve Barker

It runs great, smooth, nothing like the window fans you get today, its
quiet and weights maybe 20lbs. I just used some oil for electric
motors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen various reccomendations. Any thing from two drops to 1/8
ounce, depending on what kind of motor. Sounds about right, to me. I
like to put a drop or two where the center shaft meets the bronze
berring. In addition to the oil holes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sanding and oiling doors GMM UK diy 6 April 23rd 10 07:56 AM
Oiling air tools Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Metalworking 6 July 15th 09 01:58 PM
Oiling a Floor? Rob Home Repair 6 January 4th 06 09:45 PM
Oiling floorboards Kalico UK diy 3 December 3rd 04 11:02 PM
Oiling squeaky door hinge Eric G Home Repair 16 July 3rd 03 10:48 PM