Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whazzit, how much?

I scored five propane tanks today for $20. Mfr date '06 stamped on collar.
I thought they were forklift tanks, as I had used a ton of those in the
past, but these do not have the empty/full gauge in the center. There is a
double universal hook up, and under the yellow seal, an industrial fill
connector. Any idea what they were used for and what they are worth?

Second item, metal halide lights. My friend just got me these four
additional ones. The one I put up on my shop is a jewel, and now I have
four more to place and light up the night so I can work out there when it's
cool. Aluminum housing, metal housing, reflector inside glass panel, and
transformer to bring from 110 to 220. Any idea what they're worth, or what
they cost new?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2010 9:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

The tanks could be for an industrial steam cleaner. The lights could be
for a foreign or industrial market. The value of your score depends on
what anyone is willing to pay for it. I see tens of thousands of dollars
worth of perfectly useful functioning equipment hit the scrap
yard only to meet the shredder. It's heart breaking, much like seeing
a cute puppy being euthanized at an animal shelter. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
(snip)
The tanks could be for an industrial steam cleaner. The lights could be
for a foreign or industrial market. The value of your score depends on
what anyone is willing to pay for it. I see tens of thousands of dollars
worth of perfectly useful functioning equipment hit the scrap
yard only to meet the shredder. It's heart breaking, much like seeing
a cute puppy being euthanized at an animal shelter. 8-)

I dunno about it rising to PUPPY level, especially with all the animal
lovers on here. But yeah, it is sad. And certainly not very 'green'. For
the sake of my blood pressure, I have to work real hard to not let it
get to me.

At the place where I work, funded by your tax dollars, the computer
support techs and the inventory support techs don't do a real good job
of keeping stuff in sets. As any of you who have been anywhere near the
secondary market know, stuff is worth a LOT more when it has all the
widgets and cords (much less the driver disks and owners manuals) with
it. I have protested to upper management multiple times about it, only
to be told 'it costs too much to do that' and 'sit down and shut up'. An
example that will mean something to RACS- we just sent out several
skid-sized cubes marked as scrap metal, consisting of server rack rails.
RACS people would call them drawer glides from hell. They are
server-brand specific, and retail for 100-150 bucks a pair. Full
extension, 24+ inches, often ball-bearing, rated for 100 lbs +, etc.
Each pair has been extended maybe 20 times in its service life, so
essentially brand new. I kept telling the techs- keep the rails with
the server when you de-install it. 'No, that would take too much time'.
So now, the other agency or school or auction customer who ends up with
the server has to go out and buy another set of rails. I estimate each
of the skid-sized cubes has at least 100 pairs of these rails in them. I
marked the boxes as well as I could, in the hope that the place that
passes out or sells this stuff will store it INSIDE, and that the
customers walking through screening for free stuff, or for stuff to bid
on, will recognize it for what it is, and it will stay out of the
shredder. All you can do is all you can do.

(Stuff like this is why I don't say exactly who I work for. There
probably aren't six people in my agency who use Usenet any more, but if
Google ever gets their search thingie fixed, and one of my managers
searches on the agency name or my name, they would likely get ****ed.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

So what if they get ****ed? You're a civil servant and it would be difficult
to fire you. If they tried to transfer you to Greenland or somesuch, they
know you could invoke the "whistle-blower" meme.

Look what happened to Shirley Sherrod.

Of course she's still fired, but it's the principle of the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's possible that those are fork lift tanks. But, that the gages
broke. someone decided to "change when it stops working" instead of
having a gage.

Value. About 1/4 to 1/5 of the price of new tanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Sherrod is the exception to the rule. The idiot way she was fired, by
an Administration peeing in its pants at the HINT of "racism" (she was
called in her car and ordered to pull over to the side of the road
and submit her resignation!!!! ) was what got this case all its
publicity. Plus, of course the skinny on the arch-villain Andrew
Breitbart -- still Untouchable, feh, feh!

The "rule" is that govt. whistleblowers, or even employees who naively
bring bad conditions to their bosses, get **** big-time. They DO get
relegated to a do-nothing desk, where their pride in their work is
**** on.

Look at James Hansen, who for the last 30 years -- yes, that's THIRTY
-- has been explaining to Congress what will happen if action is now
taken on global warming. Nobody listened in that whorehouse called
Congress or, of course, the corporate White House, until the change of
Administration, and now it's probably past the tipping point.

Sherrod had the cojones to refuse their cringe-offer to come back.
She says she will "consult" with her old agency. And sue the f****ing
pants off Breitbart.

But the fate of whistleblowers in private industry is a horrible one.
Just for the heck of it, go to your favorite search engine and input
keywords like "fate of whistleblowers". I found a whole bunch of
sites with the sad stories of people who tried to Do The Right Thing.

This involves the food, clothing, medicines, cosmetics, household
items like paint, carpet, etc. that YOU and your family use! The FDA
(Fraud Disguising Agency) has always been an arm of ruthless corporate
criminality. I wish Obama would grow a pair, staff the FDA with real
watchdogs, and DO something about the poisons our families are
subjected to.

HB