Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Color Baseboards Should I Have?

I am in the process of installing new cabinets in my bathrooms.
At first, I was going to put in opal oak (also called bleached oak)
as that is what I have now.

I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal oak
is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would be the
same. He also said he is installing different woods in different rooms
of high end homes. I have always thought it looked best to have the same
wood cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Thanks for all feedback.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of installing new cabinets in my bathrooms.
At first, I was going to put in opal oak (also called bleached oak)
as that is what I have now.

I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal oak
is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would be the
same. He also said he is installing different woods in different rooms
of high end homes. I have always thought it looked best to have the same
wood cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Thanks for all feedback.

Kate

In a bathroom, I'd be inclined to use faux wood baseboards. The stuff
made from sawdust and old pop bottles, painted same color as the walls.
The real stuff soaks up the floor-level moisture, and seems to be the
first place the finish fails. If your existing white baseboards are in
good shape, I'd leave them be. Putting base and shoe behind the toilet
is a PITA, unless it is out anyway.

Unless there is a major color battle going on, nobody but you will even
notice them. Baseboards are a non-reportable event. Quiz your friends
after they come out of there- odds are they won't even be able to tell
you the color, or painted vs. woodgrain.

But I'm a guy, and therefore have no interior decorating style or skills.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 5:45 PM, aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Hey guy,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, my existing baseboards are white, and in
excellent shape. I will more than likely keep them.

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote
I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal oak
is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would be the
same. He also said he is installing different woods in different rooms of
high end homes. I have always thought it looked best to have the same wood
cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Nothing wrong with keeping the white if you like it. As for different
woods in different rooms, I have different woods in the same room. IMO,
there is nothing sacred about mixing and matching of nice woods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing wrong with keeping the white if you like it. As for different
woods in different rooms, I have different woods in the same room. IMO,
there is nothing sacred about mixing and matching of nice woods.

I'm a huge fan of mixing very light and very dark woods in the same room for
contrast. I prefer natural oak and dark mahogany, but that's just because my
house is very old and that's what was there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of installing new cabinets in my bathrooms.
At first, I was going to put in opal oak (also called bleached oak)
as that is what I have now.

I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal
oak is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would
be the same. He also said he is installing different woods in
different rooms of high end homes. I have always thought it looked
best to have the same wood cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Thanks for all feedback.

You can't go wrong with white.

I just ceramic-tiled a bath and had a mess of tiles left over.

What the hell.

I used an angle grinder and masonary wheel to cut the left-over tiles into
six-inch strips, glued them to the wall, and grouted the gaps. Looks
absolutely marvelous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am in the process of installing new cabinets in my bathrooms.
At first, I was going to put in opal oak (also called bleached oak)
as that is what I have now.

I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal oak
is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would be the
same. He also said he is installing different woods in different rooms of
high end homes. I have always thought it looked best to have the same wood
cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

I like the way the linoleum floors in hospitals and doctors offices curve up
at the walls and go up about 4 inches. Then have a metal edge on them.

Seems to me that would be easier to clean. Plus I would bet that would
irritate your home decorator to no end if you suggested it! (If you just
want to have a bit of fun...) Like this...
http://www.clearsphere.ie/clearspher...flooring-L.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 10:36 PM, Bill wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Back in the 80's I worked out in the Central Pacific for a contractor
that bought potable housing units that were manufactured in Australia.
The seamless vinyl floors had a distinct curve up the walls in a tub
like manner. I assumed that the designers knew that construction workers
drank a lot and tracked mud into their housing. The living
quarters were built that way so they could be hosed out whenever a
drunk slob barfed all over the place. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 6:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Kate" wrote
I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal
oak is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would
be the same. He also said he is installing different woods in
different rooms of high end homes. I have always thought it looked
best to have the same wood cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Nothing wrong with keeping the white if you like it. As for different
woods in different rooms, I have different woods in the same room. IMO,
there is nothing sacred about mixing and matching of nice woods.

I believe more and more folks are mixing woods. I like most all of them.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 6:48 PM, h wrote:
Nothing wrong with keeping the white if you like it. As for different
woods in different rooms, I have different woods in the same room. IMO,
there is nothing sacred about mixing and matching of nice woods.

I'm a huge fan of mixing very light and very dark woods in the same room for
contrast. I prefer natural oak and dark mahogany, but that's just because my
house is very old and that's what was there.

It sounds nice, and keeps everything interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 6:50 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I would love to see a picture. It sounds nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2010 8:36 PM, Bill wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I never thought of this. It definitely would be easier to clean.
I just had one bathroom tiled, so this would not work for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
-snip-

BTW, opal oak (whatever that may be) is only out of style if you think it
is.

Worth saying again-- it's your house, Kate.

Reminds me of the time 40 years ago when the mason showed up to build
us a brick hearth. 'How do you want the joints raked' he asks my
wife and shows her several choices. She asks how it would have been
done in colonial times, as that was her 'deco' goal.

His answer-
"Well, ma'am, the mason would come out, show the lady of the house the
choices and she'd pick the one that pleased her."

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2010 6:09 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of installing new cabinets in my bathrooms.
At first, I was going to put in opal oak (also called bleached oak)
as that is what I have now.

I had a cabinet maker here today, and he said I should upgrade (opal
oak is out of style now)by installing oak cabinets, as the cost would
be the same. He also said he is installing different woods in
different rooms of high end homes. I have always thought it looked
best to have the same wood cabinets throughout the home.

If I go with oak cabinets, will my white baseboards look fine, or do I
need to change those to oak as well?

Think of the cabinets as furniture. If you put an oak table in your dining
room, would you change the baseboards to oak?

BTW, opal oak (whatever that may be) is only out of style if you think it
is.

I was glad to see this reply. I like light and airy homes. My home has
many windows in it. This allows me to have dark oak furniture in my
living room, and a lighter oak in my family room. My bedroom furniture
is cherry wood. I love nice woods. My kitchen and bathrooms all have
opal oak cabinets, and I actually love the look. I had it many years
ago, and it then faded out of style, so to speak. Twelve years ago,
when my home was built, it came back. Now, you don't
see it as much.

This gives me something more to think about. Maybe I should not worry
about updating my home, but live in it according to what I like.

Thank you for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 1:04*pm, Kate wrote:
On 8/25/2010 6:09 AM, dadiOH wrote:

This gives me something more to think about. *Maybe I should not worry
about updating my home, but live in it according to what I like.

That's it! I find it very funny when people decorate their home for
"resale value" even when they are not planning to sell any time soon.
I've been in my home for 25 years and plan to be carried out of it
feet first. I make all my decorating and remodeling decisions based on
how I want to live in the house. And, since I have a nearly 200 year
old house, I couldn't care less about being "in style". I've worked
very hard to maintain and restore the house to its original greek
revival style, but with a modern kitchen and bathrooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:37:34 -0700, Kate wrote:

I used an angle grinder and masonary wheel to cut the left-over tiles into
six-inch strips, glued them to the wall, and grouted the gaps. Looks
absolutely marvelous.

I would love to see a picture. It sounds nice.

Tile looks nice as a baseboard.

All this time I thought I was the only person with tile, instead of
wood or MDF.

My entire home _is_ tile as a baseboard. Various colors, sizes, etc.
The bride calls it the Tuscan look.

Best part is I did not have to install baseboard. The tile guy was
here already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 12:19*pm, tmclone wrote:
On Aug 25, 1:04*pm, Kate wrote:

On 8/25/2010 6:09 AM, dadiOH wrote:

This gives me something more to think about. *Maybe I should not worry
about updating my home, but live in it according to what I like.

That's it! I find it very funny when people decorate their home for
"resale value" even when they are not planning to sell any time soon.
I've been in my home for 25 years and plan to be carried out of it
feet first. I make all my decorating and remodeling decisions based on
how I want to live in the house. And, since I have a nearly 200 year
old house, I couldn't care less about being "in style". I've worked
very hard to maintain and restore the house to its original greek
revival style, but with a modern kitchen and bathrooms.

OTOH, in these times one never knows when one will be forced to move.
Something out of the ordinary scores many more points against you than
in times like these than it does when it's a seller's market. While I
wouldn't put in anything I didn't like, there are things that I like
that I wouldn't spend a lot of money on, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Tile looks nice as a baseboard.

All this time I thought I was the only person with tile, instead of
wood or MDF.

My entire home _is_ tile as a baseboard. Various colors, sizes, etc.
The bride calls it the Tuscan look.

Best part is I did not have to install baseboard. The tile guy was
here already.

Yeah, but I bet it's a bitch if you decide to replace the carpet with
laminate or hardwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 5:45*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

NON SEQUITUR! Check out the "guys" who are making big bux in that
field.
--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 11:54*am, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:37:34 -0700, Kate wrote:
I used an angle grinder and masonary wheel to cut the left-over tiles into
six-inch strips, glued them to the wall, and grouted the gaps. Looks
absolutely marvelous.

I would love to see a picture. *It sounds nice.

Tile looks nice as a baseboard.

All this time I thought I was the only person with tile, instead of
wood or MDF.

My entire home _is_ tile as a baseboard. Various colors, sizes, etc.
The bride calls it the Tuscan look.

Best part is I did not have to install baseboard. The tile guy was
here already.

You tile baseboard people, PLEASE post pictures! Would love to see.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

The quotes around the term are deserved. Most 'pro' interiors I see
pictures of in magazines and sunday supplements look very annoying to
me. I think interior decorating is much like fashion design- the 'name'
people mostly make it because people/sheeple (mostly female) are
conditioned to think that is stuff in magazines is what to strive for,
and if their is something they wouldn't do, well, the artiste must be
smarter than us.

I'm more of a form follows function kind of guy. Anything that does the
job, without extra frippery that drives up costs for no added
functionality, is what scores best with me.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 25, 11:54 am, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:37:34 -0700, Kate wrote:
I used an angle grinder and masonary wheel to cut the left-over
tiles into six-inch strips, glued them to the wall, and grouted
the gaps. Looks absolutely marvelous.

I would love to see a picture. It sounds nice.

Tile looks nice as a baseboard.

All this time I thought I was the only person with tile, instead of
wood or MDF.

My entire home _is_ tile as a baseboard. Various colors, sizes, etc.
The bride calls it the Tuscan look.

Best part is I did not have to install baseboard. The tile guy was
here already.

You tile baseboard people, PLEASE post pictures! Would love to see.

Is this what you wanted:

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...BathTiles1.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/a...BathTiles2.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get a more panoramic view but there's a space constraint in
the loo.