Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering directly to button battery

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and
solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Why can't you just replace the 2032?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and
solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Why can't you just replace the 2032?

Or simulate one with 2 bits of tin-can and solder to those.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message

"brass monkey" wrote in message

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place
and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Why can't you just replace the 2032?

Or simulate one with 2 bits of tin-can and solder to those.

And what if the old battery has low internal resistance, and shorts out your
AAAs? It probably won't be easy to solder to anyway, aren't they nickel
plated?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 4:53*am, "john hamilton" wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? * Thanks for advice.

Put the battery in the freezer, and solder quickly. heat does shorten
their life.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"john hamilton" wrote in
:

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place
and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

I think you'll find that the discharged button cell will suck the new AAA's
dry.

Also, the CR2032 is 3.6V. Three AAA's are 4.8V. I wonder what the voltage
jump would do to your equipment.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Properly applied, the heat should do no damage. Some motherboard batteries
used to be directly soldered-in.

A better approach, if you want a hard-wired battery receptacle, would be to
unsolder the CR2032's battery-holder from the PCB, then solder the leads of
your newly-purchased AAA battery-holder to the CR's holes PCB.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:38:42 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

I think you'll find that the discharged button cell will suck the new AAA's
dry.

Also, the CR2032 is 3.6V. Three AAA's are 4.8V. I wonder what the voltage
jump would do to your equipment.

Properly applied, the heat should do no damage. Some motherboard batteries
used to be directly soldered-in.

A better approach, if you want a hard-wired battery receptacle, would be to
unsolder the CR2032's battery-holder from the PCB, then solder the leads of
your newly-purchased AAA battery-holder to the CR's holes PCB.

Best approach is to replace the button cell. It'll most likely
have the same or longer life anyway as it is pretty much just the
shelf life that matters.

Those batteries typically last 5 years. 5 years from now the
motherboard is going to be so obsolete, that once more replacement is all
it might ever possibly need.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 9:55*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I missed that it was on a motherboard? I figured it was something
else that was using it up at a faster rate.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:12:30 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:
Those batteries typically last 5 years. Â*5 years from now the
motherboard is going to be so obsolete, that once more replacement is
all it might ever possibly need.

I missed that it was on a motherboard? I figured it was something else
that was using it up at a faster rate.

And obsolescence is one of those very vague things; we have no way of
knowing if the thing will be of no use to the OP in five years, and if it
is then maybe it does make sense to fit a battery holder.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

I missed that it was on a motherboard?

OP didn't mention that. I did. And only in relation to
permanently-affixed CMOS batteries, which were only brought up as an
example. I had mistakenly believed that the leads on such batteries were
soldered to the battery, but have since been corrected.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

Best approach is to replace the button cell.

I agree. They're less than five bucks each, full-retail. And their voltage
is correct for the equipment in question.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
john hamilton wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place
and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Not a good idea to leave any flat battery in place. Just about any type
can leak. Also, it may try and re-charge off the new ones so drawing more
current than necessary.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 8/24/2010 5:53 AM, john hamilton wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Out of curiosity why not just replace the CR2032?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 8:58*am, George wrote:
On 8/24/2010 5:53 AM, john hamilton wrote: I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? * Thanks for advice.

Out of curiosity why not just replace the CR2032?

I did this with a small clock mechanism. The button batteries were
going out too fast. I just soldered to the original tabs though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 4:53*am, "john hamilton" wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? * Thanks for advice.

There are warnings about charging lithiums and having them explode. I
have never heard of it happening and have seen applications where they
were being charged and nothing happened. (they must be very toxic-you
need a label when shipping them)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:53:14 +0100, john hamilton wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

I've soldered to batteries many times.
Heat a spot on the battery, leaeve a blob of solder.
Tin the wire with solder.
Reheat blob on battery, stick wire in blob, remove iron, hold very
still while it cools.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:53:14 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place
and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

Yes, they can go bang when soldering if you apply too much heat for too
long. Applying power to one probably isn't a good idea, either (you'd
basically be trying to recharge an no-rechargeable cell - I doubt it'd
outright explode or catch fire, but it might leak, and ever the vapours
from batteries can make a real mess of PCB traces).

Personally I'd desolder it - preferably cutting it from the PCB first and
then desoldering the legs that remain. What the device is would dictate
whether I'd fit a direct replacement, or a socket, or trailing wires to a
socket, or trailing wires to a holder to take AAAs etc.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:53:14 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place
and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

Is this a standard 2032 or one of those with 2 legs that stands on edge?
Just wondering, as it wouldn't be easy to solder onto the negative side
of a 2032 that's mounted in a holder. If you have to solder, why not
solder to the other side of the pcb and take the 2032 out? Far easier to
just change the battery.

The ones on legs are harder to get, but they are available. If you take
them out you get 2 holes to solder your wires into. (The right way
round...)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In ,
john hamilton typed:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA
batteries, I'm intending to leave the old discharged button
battery in its place and solder the leads from the AAA
batteries directly on to the button battery.

Bad idea: How do you know the button won't become a load or short ckt down
the road? Don't use it. You probably can't get a good solder connection to
it, anyway - wrong materials - not solderable. Solder to the pins inside
where the wires connect to them.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button
battery with the soldering iron to solder to it, likely to
make the battery prone to 'leakage' in the future?

A definite possibility since you don't mention heat-sinking and any level of
expertise of soldering skills. There's a lot more to soldering than just
melting the solder onto something. I'd give this about a 25% chance of
workng IF you have ever been taught about soldering, zero otherwise.

Or
perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of soldering?

Depending on the condition of the button, where you heat it, how you heat
it, how you heatsink it, yes, it's possible. Especially if ± sides of the
battery get connected by a heat sink or solder-drip, whatever.

Why wouldn't you just buy another coin battery? They're cheap and easy to
swap out.

HTH,

Twayne`

Thanks for advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-24, john hamilton wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm
intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder
the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

As I understand it, batteries not only lose their charge, but in dying
they build up a very high internal resistance, also, so you don't want
to leave a dead battery in the circuit.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the
soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to
'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of
soldering? Thanks for advice.

As for the soldering thing, I jes happened to have an old cordless
phone battery I jes replaced. Looking at the old battery pack, it's 3
AA batteries linked together to a set of wires ending in 2 prong
connector. The battery group is linked together via small metal
strips about .010-.015" thick. As one other poster pointed out, they
are not soldered, but are spot welded, two little 1/32" spots about
1/16" apart. The wires are soldered to tabs spot welded to the
battery.

I was going to try and make this 3-battery pack, myself, but found a
replacement, cheap. If I had gone ahead with it, I would have used my
Weller soldering gun, it having enough heat to apply a quick blast to
the battery top withoutout overheating the whole battery ...or so my
thinking ran.

There's such a thing as taking DIY too far. Jes buy a new freakin' battery!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-24, john hamilton wrote:
I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries,
I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and
solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button
battery.

As I understand it, batteries not only lose their charge, but in dying
they build up a very high internal resistance, also, so you don't want
to leave a dead battery in the circuit.

Did you mean to say "a very low internal resistance"? If so, the
conclusion (that you don't want to leave it in circuit) would make
sense, but as written it is illogical, unless you think he wanted
to wire the new battery in series with the old one.

My understanding is that he simply wants to re-use the old battery
as a connector by means of which the new batterty will power whatever
circuit the button battery did. This implies wiring it in parallel.
Thus to prevent unwanted excessive draining of the new battery by
the old one, the higher its resistance, the better. Of course it
may not have the same resistance in both directions.

It ought to perfectly OK to solder wires to AA-type batteries (I've
done it myself to rechargeables when I wanted to replace a welded
multi-pack for which a replacement was unobtainable). I'd be less
happy to try it with button cells.

On balance, I would advise against his cunning plan. He'd be better
throwing the button battery away and -if he really wants to replace it
with AAAs- soldering some wires directly to the button battery holder.