Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default battery-powered soldering iron

I walked into a roofing supply store and found, of all things, a 6
watt Weller battery-powered soldering iron (BP645MP). I had to have
it.
Turns out the tip itself contains the heating element. It attaches to
the body with a fitting much like an RCA jack. The soldering iron
works pretty well, and heats up quick as advertised. Of course you
can only use it on small stuff. Uses three AA batteries. Using it
very much could get expensive with replacement tips costing $5 each.
But it's a cool little toy.
Posted to alt.electronics

Gearhead,

We started selling a newer version of that product (BP860MP) from Weller a
while back and have gotten some pretty bad reviews from customers over our
blog and the phone. How long and often do you use it? What kind of soldering
have you done with it? The new butane kit from Weller (PSI-100K) is a far
better mobile soldering product and does more than solder so it is around
$60. A bit more cash than the battery powered iron.

BP860MP blog: http://blog.all-spec.com/?p=19

PSI-100K blog: http://blog.all-spec.com/?p=176

I have not personally tested either one, but from previous experience with
both butane and battery powered irons I'd only use a butane iron
"on-the-run" in a very sheltered area. Everything else would be done with a
WES51 or WESD51. Curious to hear more about your experiences with it.

Regards,

Glen / All-Spec

"gearhead" wrote in message
I walked into a roofing supply store and found, of all things, a 6
watt Weller battery-powered soldering iron (BP645MP). I had to have
it.
Turns out the tip itself contains the heating element. It attaches to
the body with a fitting much like an RCA jack. The soldering iron
works pretty well, and heats up quick as advertised. Of course you
can only use it on small stuff. Uses three AA batteries. Using it
very much could get expensive with replacement tips costing $5 each.
But it's a cool little toy.

Posted to alt.electronics

"GlenB" wrote in message

[...]

Glen,
I'll state the biggest drawback:
not enough mass in the tip.
Only good for circuit boards.
If you try to solder anything heavy, it sucks the heat right out of the tip.
I was able to solder a stranded wire (I think it was 14 gauge) into a hole
on a circuit board, but when I tried to splice two pieces of wire end-to-end
the soldering tip didn't have the thermal heft to do it.
So it's a limited tool.
I'm on the lookout for a good, cheap butane iron.

Posted to alt.electronics

"GlenB" wrote in message

[...]

I made a post on the BP blog.

Posted to alt.electronics

"Michael Robinson" wrote in message

Glen,
I'll state the biggest drawback:
not enough mass in the tip.

Yeah.. I was wondering about that. The tips are a bit thin, but at the
same time it's a $13 soldering iron. What can you really expect from it?
I'll see if I can give one a full test and review.

Only good for circuit boards.
If you try to solder anything heavy, it sucks the heat right out of the
tip.
I was able to solder a stranded wire (I think it was 14 gauge) into a hole
on a circuit board, but when I tried to splice two pieces of wire
end-to-end the soldering tip didn't have the thermal heft to do it.
So it's a limited tool.
I'm on the lookout for a good, cheap butane iron.

Was that lead-free solder? I'm thinking of doing a few tests:

1) desoldering on a PCB using a trigger pump
2) new solder on through-hole for wire and leads (lead-free rosin core,
leaded rosin core, and silver/tin solder)
3) wire joining (common guages)
4) soldering various wire gauges to a prepped surface

Any other "tests" you guys/gals would like to hear about?

Glen

Posted to alt.electronics

"Michael Robinson" wrote in message

I made a post on the BP blog.