Posted to alt.home.repair

Default home boiler trouble

Before I go into deep detail here I am putting this question out just in
case there may be something I overlooked.
I installed this boiler and controls (complete) 35 years ago and maintained
it ever since, I am familiar with pressures, flows, etc.
Last winter I shut off my supply valve to the regulator 12#, after shutting
down the boiler my pressure dropped off to 0 psi.
I visibly checked through 2 zones and found no leakage, it kept doing this
and still does.
I removed the automatic vent valve above the flow valve, also removed the
expansion tank.
Plugged the 1/8th inch outlet and used the 1/2 inch to connect a line adding
21# of air. This kept solid for 24 hours,
after visual checks and pressure test I am 100 % confident no leaks in the
system are present

There is also no indication of leakage in the boiler, I removed skin,
cleaned and checked all I could see,
I did not want to remove the outlet hood above the boiler tubes as it was
cemented to the water jacket.

I have been hearing a slight gurgling for sometime, inside the boiler. I am
aware noises can travel, however I am certain this gurgling is from the
boiler internals.
All air has and is purged from all the vent valves in the system. along with
the automatic vent valve.

Now here's a kicker that just happened today. Yesterday I add water to bring
up pressure to
12# (from 7#) it went down to 7 again as it has been, and then it
actually went back up to 10lbs...

Valves around regulating valves are closed and do not leak through..
Is it possible I somehow have air trapped in the boiler cavity that will not
vent?.
I am trying to keep from spending $3- 4000 for another boiler unless
absolutely necessary.
If I need to my next question I will post in greater detail
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 3:17*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
[...]

For all good boiler pros go to www.heatinghelp.com and post at Off The
Wall, for all boiler Hoes go to althvac for a reaming. If its not
leaking it doesnt need replacement but I have no idea of your problem.
The guy who runs Heating Help, Houlihan, has written a few books
connsidered must reads for steam systems. You will get the answer
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jimmy" wrote
[...]

I'd suspect the feed valve is not holding as well as you think or there is
air trapped in the system. Could be from the water giving off gas from the
chlorine or oxygen in the water.

As for spending the money for a new boiler, after 35 years, it may be
"free". Energy tax credits, fuel savings, rebates, no interest financing
are all available. I put in a new oil fired boiler and cut my fuel use by
38% over the 30 year old unit I had.
I put in a System 2000 from www.energykinetics.com Pays for itself in
savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 3:22*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"jimmy" wrote

[...]

savings.- Hide quoted text -

The above is good advice. You will probably cut you gas bill in half.
You would be wise to consider renewing radiators too with biiger ones
to improve efficiency even more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Everything suggested so far has been covered and is ok...as I stated there
is no air in the zones, I have a bleeder on every rising elbow.
When I say no pressure is present at the closed inlet valve, I mean no
pressure because the 2 valves around the regulating valve is closed and
drain plug is removed..
The expansion tank is new and holding at 12#
Ransley...your idea was great, I have posted this question on that site and
getting feedback.
New expansion tank directions indicate it should be installed on inlet side
of the pump.
I installed this on the outlet side of the boiler exactly opposite of how
this one indicates it should be installed, been working since 1977. Thats a
puzzling one also.