Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

On Aug 10, 7:29*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote

*That's all BOX fans do when used properly too - they are NOT window
fans. Using them as such is a misuse.- Hide quoted text -

Says who?

Harry K

They make window fans for that purpose. Box fans are air movers meant
to sit on the floor.

What happens to them if you sit them on a window sill? *I've seen many used
like that; I'd guess millions nationwide are in windows. *I've never seen a
caution about not using them in a window.

*However, I did find this on Lasko's web site:http://www.laskoproducts.com/prodinfo/faq-fans.html
*Can I use my Box Fan in a window? Most box fans are not designed for use in
a window

Note the word "most" as opposed to using the word "no".

And the don't give any specifics here
What is a Window Fan? A fan mounted in a window to circulate the air. Window
fans are used for air intake, air exhaust, or air exchange. The blade size
ranges from 8" to 16"

Then, you have this that tells you how to use a box fan in the window.http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Window-Fans-for-Home-Cooling
Place fans in windows. Close the window as tightly as possible around the
fan to hold it in place and prevent local circulation

Of course, this box fan is designed for use in windowshttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...

Evidently, geeks don't know everything, even wise oneshttp://www.wisegeek..com/what-is-a-box-fan.htm
Many homeowners also choose to place a box fan in an open window, similar to
an air conditioning unit. If the home owner places the box fan in the window
so the front faces outdoors, the box fan will draw warm air out from inside
the home. If the homeowner places the box fan with the front facing inside,
the fan with draw in air from outside..

You can even rent one for $3 a dayhttp://www.loanables.com/items/show/132--Box-fan-that-fits-in-window-...

And some people just love them in the windowhttp://www.associatedcontent.com/article/42792/review_of_the_lasko_20...
One feature my Lasko 20” box fan has is its compact design. It fits very
well in my window. I can use it to bring in the cooler air from the outside.
This works remarkably well. This is known as an economical in-window air
conditioner. Another nice thing about its size is the fact that it is not
cumbersome to carry out of the store. It fits into my trunk perfectly, also.

My Lasko 20” box fan is also lightweight. Considering its size, I found that
very surprising. It also is very welcomed.

Seems like you have a big job ahead convincing people to take the box fans
out of the window.

Now, now. Don't ruin a good 'theory' with facts.

Harry K

Are BOX fans dangerous???? jimmy Home Repair 107 June 5th 20 06:08 PM
How Dangerous? T.J. Home Repair 13 July 24th 07 01:43 AM
Dangerous! The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 December 17th 06 11:43 PM
Dangerous... jay hey Home Repair 6 March 8th 06 09:00 PM
OT dangerous dogs no(SPAM)vasys Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 09:47 PM