DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Right size and place for the central A/C filter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/307043-right-size-place-central-c-filter.html)

Sam Takoy[_2_] July 26th 10 02:54 AM

Right size and place for the central A/C filter

Hi,

I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening
is 20"x30".

However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15" chute
that goes to the unit comes off. So I can either use a 20"x30" filter
right at the opening or at 20"x15" filter right in front of the chute
that goes to the unit.

What's the better filter size and location to use?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

HeyBub[_3_] July 26th 10 03:46 AM

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening
is 20"x30".

However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15"
chute that goes to the unit comes off. So I can either use a 20"x30"
filter right at the opening or at 20"x15" filter right in front of
the chute that goes to the unit.

What's the better filter size and location to use?

Many thanks in advance!

The larger the filter area the better. I'd go with the 20x30.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] July 26th 10 03:55 AM

Right size and place for the central A/C filter

"Sam Takoy" wrote
I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening
is 20"x30".

However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15" chute
that goes to the unit comes off.

Larger filter has more surface area and will last longer between changing.

The Daring Dufas[_6_] July 26th 10 04:51 AM

On 7/25/2010 8:54 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening
is 20"x30".

However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15" chute
that goes to the unit comes off. So I can either use a 20"x30" filter
right at the opening or at 20"x15" filter right in front of the chute
that goes to the unit.

What's the better filter size and location to use?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Use a pleated air filter, they have more surface area.

http://www.furnacefiltercare.com/ple...ir-filters.php

TDD

hr(bob) [email protected] July 26th 10 02:50 PM

Right size and place for the central A/C filter

On Jul 25, 9:55*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote

I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening
is 20"x30".

However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15" chute
that goes to the unit comes off.

Larger filter has more surface area and will last longer between changing.. *

not only that, the large filters cost the same as smaller filters, so
you get longer life for the same $$$