Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler Pump: 10 GPM @ 30PSI (seem low?)

I have a Myers 1.5HP well pump for my sprinkler. It's about 10 years
old. Sitting outside in the elements, I cannot read too much on it
anymore. Seems to me that 10GPM is extremely low. Is it and if so,
could it be due to the pump being old? Could it be due to the well -
not supplying enough water. I'm in central Florida if that matters and
no rust from the well water. I have no idea how deep it is. It looks
like it's being fed with a 2" pipe.

Pressure and GPM were measured just after the pump out of a 3/4"
opening. It took 29 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 30PSI was
measured from the same spot. Although, 4 sprinkler heads were
"spraying" water down at the end of the run if that matters.

On a side note, it ran at least a couple of times for a few hours
without water - lost its prime somehow. It still functions though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

Tomas wrote:
I have a Myers 1.5HP well pump for my sprinkler. It's about 10 years
old. Sitting outside in the elements, I cannot read too much on it
anymore. Seems to me that 10GPM is extremely low. Is it and if so,
could it be due to the pump being old? Could it be due to the well -
not supplying enough water. I'm in central Florida if that matters and
no rust from the well water. I have no idea how deep it is. It looks
like it's being fed with a 2" pipe.

Pressure and GPM were measured just after the pump out of a 3/4"
opening. It took 29 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 30PSI was
measured from the same spot. Although, 4 sprinkler heads were
"spraying" water down at the end of the run if that matters.

On a side note, it ran at least a couple of times for a few hours
without water - lost its prime somehow. It still functions though.

To determine the pump's capacity you need to take a few things into
consideration. For example, the 30 psi you mention - was it taken from
the discharge side of the pump? If so, it would be the pump's 'residual
pressure' with a flow of 10 gpm. If this is the case, then the pump is
still capable of a higher gpm flow. You could try using two discharge
points of the same size and note the residual pressure while flowing. As
the pump reaches its gpm capacity the residual pressure will start
decreasing and the water being discharged will be considerably more.

From what you described I would think your pump is capable of pumping
considerably more than 10 gpm. All you have done so far is determine
that the pump is capable of pumping 10 gpm through a 3/4" outlet with a
residual pressure of 30 psi.

Keep in mind that the 'residual' 30 psi pressure is not the flow
pressure. There are other factors such as the depth the pump has to draw
the water up from, the distance from the pump discharge to the outlets,
the number of elbows or right angle turns that may be in the line
feeding the outlets, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 9:38*pm, Gil wrote:
Tomas wrote:
[...]

*From what you described I would think your pump is capable of pumping
considerably more than 10 gpm. All you have done so far is determine
that the pump is capable of pumping 10 gpm through a 3/4" outlet with a
residual pressure of 30 psi.

Keep in mind that the 'residual' 30 psi pressure is not the flow
pressure. There are other factors such as the depth the pump has to draw
the water up from, the distance from the pump discharge to the outlets,
the number of elbows or right angle turns that may be in the line
feeding the outlets, etc.

All measurements were taken on the discharge side (see arrow on pic).
I have an existing sprinkler system that is about 10 years old and
failing (poor coverage from original design). I'm filling out a design
sheet from Rain Bird and calculated PSI and GPM per their
instructions. I currently have 4 zones setup, but I think my yard
should have 5 (125' X 80' lot). At the end of the day, I may need an
new system installed so I'm trying to work this out before I send in
the paperwork to Rain Bird. I don't want to end up with a band-aid - I
want a nice functional system.

img src="http://www.jaymartinreptiles.com/misc/pump2.jpg" /img

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 11:06*pm, Tomas wrote:
I have a Myers 1.5HP well pump for my sprinkler. It's about 10 years
old. Sitting outside in the elements, I cannot read too much on it
anymore. Seems to me that 10GPM is extremely low. Is it and if so,
could it be due to the pump being old? Could it be due to the well -
not supplying enough water. I'm in central Florida if that matters and
no rust from the well water. I have no idea how deep it is. It looks
like it's being fed with a 2" pipe.

Pressure and GPM were measured just after the pump out of a 3/4"
opening. It took 29 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 30PSI was
measured from the same spot. Although, 4 sprinkler heads were
"spraying" water down at the end of the run if that matters.

On a side note, it ran at least a couple of times for a few hours
without water - lost its prime somehow. It still functions though.

The pump you have is an injector pump. The pump housing contains an
injector, a centrifual pump and a small water store. Water from the
store is circulated at high prseeure by the centrifugal pump through
the injector (a series of venturii), this sucks water up from the
well. If you think the performance is down it will be because sand
from the well has worn away parts. As clearances increase the pump
delivers less water. Most pump manufacturers supply a kit of the
wearing parts; impellor, venturii etc to fix this.

A pump's capacity depends on the total head (or pressure) it has to
work against. This will include the depth of the well, the hieght you
are lifting to above the ground and the resistance of all pipework.
The manufacturers provide a pressure/ volume shifted graph for each
pump.
The relationship is non-linear, you need the graph to work out how
your pump will perform.
There is 0.43psi for every foot head lifted. (plus the pipework
resistance)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, just thought. Your well will have foot valve (non-return valve) on
the bottom of the pipe that goes into the well. This too may be
leaking. It would be a jolly god thing if you dragged the well pipe
up and replaced this valve. If it leaks and the water drains out of
the pipe the pump may run dry. (ie with no water in it) Some pumps
are water lubricated and don't like this, it buggers them up in short
odds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 1:51*pm, harry wrote:
Oh, just thought. Your well will have foot valve (non-return valve) on
the bottom of the pipe that goes into the well. * This too may be
leaking. *It would be a jolly god thing if you dragged the well pipe
up and replaced this valve. *If it leaks and the water drains out of
the pipe the pump may run dry. (ie with no water in it) *Some pumps
are water lubricated and don't like this, it buggers them up in short
odds.

I contacted a well company and they suggested that I open/create a
hole in the top of the well line and drop a weighted line to see how
deep. He believed that since this was a jet pump, it's likely a deep
well. I tend to lean this way as well as there is no rust and shallow
wells in Florida typically produce rust. He said if the well was less
than 15' I could use a centrifical pump. Other than that, the jet pump
is producing about what would be expected in this area for a jet pump.
He mentioned something about a switch to increase PSI by about 10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 6:06*pm, Tomas wrote:
I have a Myers 1.5HP well pump for my sprinkler. It's about 10 years
old. Sitting outside in the elements, I cannot read too much on it
anymore. Seems to me that 10GPM is extremely low. Is it and if so,
could it be due to the pump being old? Could it be due to the well -
not supplying enough water. I'm in central Florida if that matters and
no rust from the well water. I have no idea how deep it is. It looks
like it's being fed with a 2" pipe.

Pressure and GPM were measured just after the pump out of a 3/4"
opening. It took 29 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 30PSI was
measured from the same spot. Although, 4 sprinkler heads were
"spraying" water down at the end of the run if that matters.

You think just maybe the water that was flowing through those 4
sprinkler heads should be counted into the flow rate?

On a side note, it ran at least a couple of times for a few hours
without water - lost its prime somehow. It still functions though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:32*am, wrote:
On Jul 5, 6:06*pm, Tomas wrote:

[...]

Yes, actually, I had considered that. The new measurements are 35PSI
and about 12GPM, which is a bit better and might still be suitable for
my needs.