Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help please: cutting styrofoam sheets

On Jul 3, 7:26*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:20:25 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Jul 3, 7:09*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
My shop has a steel roll-up "garage" door that faces a blistering sun
for several hrs/day. *I'm determined to insulate it. *The easiest way
I see is to slap some styrofoam shhet insulation onto it. *

I can get 4' X 8' sheets at Big-Box for a good-enouhg price, but need
to trim the sheets down to ~ 44" X 22" to fit into the recesses of the
door.

What's the best way to cut 1-1/2" or 2" styrofoam sheets? *I don't
have a "hot wire" cutting tool.

Thanks a heap,
--Zz

Buy a hot wire cutting tool... *Or rent one if you can...

Any other method of cutting those expanded polystyrene
Styrofoam panels will result in thousands of the little
polystyrene balls flying everywhere and could result
in tear outs near corners and edges...

As for the door itself, is it a standard garage door
or one of those commercial ones made up of the
skinny segments ?

It's got 4 horizontal segments, it doesn't "roll" up, but slides along
runners and lays flat against the ceiling when open. *

You can insulate a standard garage door but those
steel segmented doors shouldn't have anything
attached to them like that, you could build a
portable insulated partition and move it in place
when you want the door to be insulated...

I thought about that, but it faces the street and neighbourhood, and
I'm not sure how that'd be appreciated.

You might find it easier in the long run to install
some sort of awning to shade the door than to
mess around trying to block the heat on the
inside of the door after it has penetrated...

THe styrofoam will only set me back $80 or so, and it'd be WAY easier
than building and awning.

Evan, I appreciate your response.

-Zz

~~ Evan

A retractable awning would only cost a few hundred dollars...

You would only extend the awning on days when you wanted
to work inside the space to shade it from the hot sun...

~~ Evan