Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT- Google Voice?

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:56:45 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:31:24 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 7/3/2010 2:00 PM, hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jul 3, 12:21 pm, "Joe wrote:
Anybody tried the new Google Voice and have any opinions?
Thanks,

What is Google Voice?

I've had it for some time. The good
thing is that when you call my Google
Voice number, I've set it up to ring
both the house land line and a cell
phone. Whichever answers 1st gets the
call. The voice mail on GV is pretty
nice too. It sends you an email with
the message translated into words on the
screen. You can also click on it and
listen to the original recording.

This would be a very nice feature for someone like my sister. She
lives in Alabama near the Georgia line. She has to pay extra so she
can make unlimited calls to Atlanta/Georgia area.

I live in Alabama near the Georgia line, too, and use a cell phone to make all
calls. No extra, anywhere in the US.

This would effectively allow her to change her phone number to Georgia
which I am sure she would much rather have.

I have a Vermont phone number, which confuses the hell out of the businesses
around here. ;-)

Thanks for the tip.

I wonder how often Google sells the number to telemarketers.

The only spam calls I get are from politicians and referendum proponents in
Ohio. My guess is that they bought the list from the DMV there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:27:10 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:56:45 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:31:24 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 7/3/2010 2:00 PM, hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jul 3, 12:21 pm, "Joe wrote:
Anybody tried the new Google Voice and have any opinions?
Thanks,

What is Google Voice?
I've had it for some time. The good
thing is that when you call my Google
Voice number, I've set it up to ring
both the house land line and a cell
phone. Whichever answers 1st gets the
call. The voice mail on GV is pretty
nice too. It sends you an email with
the message translated into words on the
screen. You can also click on it and
listen to the original recording.

This would be a very nice feature for someone like my sister. She
lives in Alabama near the Georgia line. She has to pay extra so she
can make unlimited calls to Atlanta/Georgia area.

I live in Alabama near the Georgia line, too, and use a cell phone to make all
calls. No extra, anywhere in the US.

The Google Voice seems like a more attractive option for my sister as
she has two kids that also use the phone.

This would effectively allow her to change her phone number to Georgia
which I am sure she would much rather have.

I have a Vermont phone number, which confuses the hell out of the businesses
around here. ;-)

Thanks for the tip.

I wonder how often Google sells the number to telemarketers.

The only spam calls I get are from politicians and referendum proponents in
Ohio. My guess is that they bought the list from the DMV there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:56:45 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:31:24 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 7/3/2010 2:00 PM, hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jul 3, 12:21 pm, "Joe wrote:
[...]

You're probably right, but note that there are devices that will connect a
cell phone to the wired phones in a house. I've thought of buying one, but
there are only two of us and two cell phones.