DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/305315-verizon-charging-local-landline-calls.html)

harry June 23rd 10 01:39 AM

Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls

Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

Higgs Boson[_2_] June 23rd 10 03:03 AM

On Jun 22, 5:39*pm, harry wrote:
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

? What is their justification? Is this a sudden change? Were you
alerted by one of those enclosed small-type notices that nobody reads?
What was your previous situation with them? How long did it last?
Or did you just sign up with them for phone?

Interested, so please post details.

Some Guy June 23rd 10 03:58 AM

harry wrote:

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline
calls. Does anyone else have that problem?

I'll tell ya something.

If my telco provider stopped charging me $25 a month for a pots
land-line with unlimited local calling, but instead charged me zero
dollars a month, but billed me a dime or even a quarter for every local
call I made, I'd rather have that. My bill would probably drop to $10
or $15 a month.

aemeijers June 23rd 10 05:07 AM

Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls

wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:39:12 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

I bet it is their way of getting you on FOIS. Once they roll that out
they do everything they can to get everyone on it. Once you do, they
will cut your POTS wire and pull it out.

No fiber available here. Even if there was, I'll never give up my
copper. I like redundancy. My DSL is on a second dry pair, not the voice
pair. I've had dial tone with no DSL, and DSL with no dial tone, but
never both out at once. When the DSL is out, I still have dial-up
available. When the dial-tone is out, I have the $8 a month cell phone
in my briefcase. If dialtone and DSL are both out, I have to do without,
or go to the office, or take the laptop to a public hotspot.

--
aem sends...

GeorgeD[_2_] June 23rd 10 12:33 PM

On 6/22/2010 8:39 PM, harry wrote:
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

I have Verizon FIOS and pay by call plan for telephone. That plan is
cheapest since I make very few landland calls.

Look at your usage, it be in your best interest to change plans if you
don’t use landland telephone much.

At one time the telephone company was required to examine their
customer’s usage and recommend the lowest cost option. There may be
nothing nefarious here.

Kurt Ullman June 23rd 10 01:47 PM

Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls

wrote:

Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

I bet it is their way of getting you on FOIS. Once they roll that out
they do everything they can to get everyone on it. Once you do, they
will cut your POTS wire and pull it out.

That is a long-standing option. When I was going to college in the
mid-70s Indiana Bell at the time had the option which I considered
because it was cheaper and I was making few local calls.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

keith June 23rd 10 02:45 PM

On Jun 22, 9:58*pm, Some Guy wrote:
harry wrote:
Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline
calls. * Does anyone else have that problem?

I'll tell ya something.

If my telco provider stopped charging me $25 a month for a pots
land-line with unlimited local calling, but instead charged me zero
dollars a month, but billed me a dime or even a quarter for every local
call I made, I'd rather have that. *My bill would probably drop to $10
or $15 a month.

Hell, I'd take that deal too. I had a POTS line for a little over a
year without so much as a phone being plugged in to see if it worked.
I'd still have the line if it didn't cost me anything. ;-)

Bill[_9_] June 23rd 10 03:14 PM

"harry" wrote in message
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

I grew up without a cell phone and no one else had one either. Everybody
seemed to get along just fine. (Hint!)

George June 23rd 10 08:23 PM

On 6/22/2010 10:03 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 22, 5:39 pm, wrote:
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

? What is their justification? Is this a sudden change? Were you
alerted by one of those enclosed small-type notices that nobody reads?
What was your previous situation with them? How long did it last?
Or did you just sign up with them for phone?

Interested, so please post details.

Sorry, ir seems to be a rule that details must always be omitted for
some reason. That way it can develop into a 100 post thread of folks
trying to guess the answers to questions like yours...

Frank[_13_] June 23rd 10 08:36 PM

Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls

On 6/22/2010 8:39 PM, harry wrote:
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

We have a situation with one son's cell phone, his only phone, that
while he lives only 3 miles away, his number is for a down state
exchange (same area code) that costs long distance.

Higgs Boson[_2_] June 24th 10 02:44 AM

On Jun 22, 5:39 pm, *wrote:
Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me, by the minute, for local, landline calls.
Does anyone else have that problem?

? *What is their justification? *Is this a sudden change? *Were you
alerted by one of those enclosed small-type notices that nobody reads?
What was your previous situation with them? *How long did it last?
Or did you just sign up with them for phone?

Interested, so please post details.

Sorry, ir seems to be a rule that details must always be omitted for
some reason. That way it can develop into a 100 post thread of folks
trying to guess the answers to questions like yours...

I thought my questions were perfectly germane to a general question
like yours. It gave almost no information, so naturally one seeks
more.