Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pump housing roof rebuild

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12641899_Jtqdk

There's a hottub pump housing at the side of my house with a rotted roof. It
is prone to rotting because a fir tree above drops pine needles on the roof,
and these retain moisture which rots the roof. Furthermore, this roof was
made what looks like fence boards, with no roofing tiles on top.

I would like to replace it with a proper roof. I believe this means:

a plywood (what thickness, what quality?)
metal drip edge
tar paper (how about plastic sheet?)
composite roofing tiles

Is there a simpler solution that works just as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 4:56*pm, "james" wrote:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12641899_Jtqdk

There's a hottub pump housing at the side of my house with a rotted roof. It
is prone to rotting because a fir tree above drops pine needles on the roof,
and these retain moisture which rots the roof. Furthermore, this roof was
made what looks like fence boards, with no roofing tiles on top.

I would like to replace it with a proper roof. I believe this means:

a plywood (what thickness, what quality?)
metal drip edge
tar paper (how about plastic sheet?)
composite roofing tiles

Is there a simpler solution that works just as well?

There are many forms of "proper roof" If you wan cheap, try this sort
of thing.
http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:56*am, "james" wrote:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12641899_Jtqdk

There's a hottub pump housing at the side of my house with a rotted roof. It
is prone to rotting because a fir tree above drops pine needles on the roof,
and these retain moisture which rots the roof. Furthermore, this roof was
made what looks like fence boards, with no roofing tiles on top.

I would like to replace it with a proper roof. I believe this means:

a plywood (what thickness, what quality?)
metal drip edge
tar paper (how about plastic sheet?)
composite roofing tiles

Is there a simpler solution that works just as well?

For a small wet roof like that I'd use cedar 1x6 or 1x8 gapped. Then
membrane, good shingles and a drip edge. You could use plywood too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:56 am, "james" wrote:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12641899_Jtqdk

There's a hottub pump housing at the side of my house with a rotted roof. It
is prone to rotting because a fir tree above drops pine needles on the roof,
and these retain moisture which rots the roof. Furthermore, this roof was
made what looks like fence boards, with no roofing tiles on top.

I would like to replace it with a proper roof. I believe this means:

a plywood (what thickness, what quality?)
metal drip edge
tar paper (how about plastic sheet?)
composite roofing tiles

Is there a simpler solution that works just as well?

For a small wet roof like that I'd use cedar 1x6 or 1x8 gapped. Then
membrane, good shingles and a drip edge. You could use plywood too.

Dimensions? For fancy, I'd put a metal roof on it. For quick and
painless, I'd buy and modify a plastic doghouse or kids's playhouse, if
a large enough one could be found. I've even seen wellheads and pumps
covered with plastic barrels.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many forms of "proper roof" If you wan cheap, try this sort
of thing.
http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/

Wish I could find something similar in local hardware stores.

Speaking of metal roof, why not just nail a large piece of metal flashing on
top of a plywood and be done? It can even be bent at the edge as a drip
edge. Unfortunately, the local hardware store (HD) only sell roll of
flashing that is about 1 feet wide. What I need is a 5 x 5 feet piece of
flashing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
There are many forms of "proper roof" If you wan cheap, try this sort
of thing.
http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/

Wish I could find something similar in local hardware stores.

Speaking of metal roof, why not just nail a large piece of metal
flashing on top of a plywood and be done? It can even be bent at the
edge as a drip edge. Unfortunately, the local hardware store (HD) only
sell roll of flashing that is about 1 feet wide. What I need is a 5 x 5
feet piece of flashing.

You'll probably have to take a couple hours off work on a weekday for
that, and stop by the local metal wholesaler or a furnace company. They
aren't hard to find, but generally not open evenings and weekends. Even
HD should have metal roofing available through their contractor desk.
Give them the sizes, and they will call when your custom-cut bundle of
strips comes in. Look up high on the wall for the samples of colors.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...