DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/305091-can-welding-oxygen-used-place-medical-oxygen.html)

Pete C. June 21st 10 01:27 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

You're stuck on old paranoia based on information that is decades out of
date. All of the O2 purity grades specify no more than 0.05% impurities,
and the most lax of the standards is the medical / aviator grade. The
reality is that all the grades are filled from the same cryo O2 source
and all are better than 99.99% pure O2.

I know how a medical tank was handled. I don't know anything abut a welding
tank. The oxygen may be pure going in, but I don't know what was in the
tank beforehand.

The gas suppliers are not about to fill 2,000 PSI+ of pure O2 on top of
some amount of unknown gas in the welding tank, that would be dangerous
for them.

I'm not stuck on decades information, my son owns a medical supply company
that supplies oxygen. I worked part time for him filling tanks and
delivering LOX. We followed the regulations on medical oxygen. You are
free to breath whatever you like though.

You follow your insurance / liability regulations, which do not in any
way relate to the actual safety of using the "welding" O2 vs. "medical"
O2, and have not been updated in decades.

Pete C. June 21st 10 01:32 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

Some Guy wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

What is the compressed gas supplier doing differently that would
result in that very slight (but consistent?) difference between
those two products?

They aren't doing anything different, those are the *standards*,
not the actual product spec. The reality is that both grades are
filled from the same cryo tanks and both exceed the 99.99% welding
grade standard.

So how is it known that these gasses meet this 99.99% spec?

Are they tested?

The source cryo tanks certainly are.

Or are they compressed with equipment that is known to NOT inject
contaminents during pressurization?

The same equipment is used to fill all "grades" of cylinders.

Much of what is speculated here is not with the "purity" of the source
gas, or the compentency of the compression equipment to maintain that
purity as a tank is being pressurized, but with what *might* happen with
these tanks when in the hands of end-users as they reach their empty
state prior to being returned to be reused.

Seems that some people here are hung up on that point, and we are all
speculating as to just what the gas retailer does behind the scenes with
these returned tanks prior to refilling them.

The gas suppliers are not about to fill 2,000 PSI+ of pure O2 on top of
some amount of mystery gas in the "welding" cylinder, especially since
those "welding" cylinders are typically used in conjunction with a fuel
gas. Putting pure O2 on top of some inadvertently transfilled Acetylene,
propylene, propane, etc. would not be a healthy thing for the workers at
the gas plant.

Some Guy June 21st 10 02:33 PM

"Pete C." wrote:

Much of what is speculated here is not with the "purity" of the
source gas, or the compentency of the compression equipment to
maintain that purity as a tank is being pressurized, but with
what *might* happen with these tanks when in the hands of end-
users as they reach their empty state prior to being returned
to be reused.

Seems that some people here are hung up on that point, and we
are all speculating as to just what the gas retailer does
behind the scenes with these returned tanks prior to refilling
them.

The gas suppliers are not about to fill 2,000 PSI+ of pure O2
on top of some amount of mystery gas in the "welding" cylinder,

While that sounds logical, just saying it is not going to satisfy others
unless more concrete proof is posted to show that the average compressed
gas retailer or supplier performs the same processes and proceedures on
all types of returned cylinders (evacuation, internal cleaning, etc)
prior to refilling.

But I still submit that many of their arguments as to just how these
tanks can become contaminated in the first place is implausible.

Some Guy June 21st 10 02:41 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know how a medical tank was handled. I don't know anything about
a welding tank. The oxygen may be pure going in, but I don't know
what was in the tank beforehand.

So you are speculating that the average compressed-gas retailer or
supplier does not perform the same steps to evacuate / clean / what-ever
/ a welding tank that he (or you) does with a medical tank.

I'm not stuck on decades information, my son owns a medical supply
company that supplies oxygen.

So you have a vested interest to maintain the impression that the
average citizen shouldn't or can't use less expensive welding oxygen
tanks in place of "medical" certified tanks for breathing or as a
respiratory aid.

TWayne June 21st 10 07:15 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

In ster.com,
Pete C. typed:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2010 8:58 PM, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen
vs medical oxygen as far as purity, concentration,
hazardous impurities, etc, that would render welding
oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping to
supplement breathing / respiration ?

it's the same.

Ummm..... no, it's not. Read the other responses in this
thread from people who actually know the difference.

Yes, it's the same. Anything to the contrary is "urban
legend" or hype for the purpose of charging more for the
same stuff. All the O2 grades, including the five nines
analytical grade are filled from the same cryo tanks, and
only the analytical grade gets any extra testing to ensure
the 99.999% spec. The reality is that the welding O2 purity
standard (99.99%) is higher than the medical O2 purity
standard (99.95%), and that the actual product from the gas
suppliers exceeds those purity standards by a wide margin.

Amazing: All those posts, guesses and "sound good" types mostly, for a
question that's so easily answered with a search engine that it's actually
pathetic. This is precsely why groups like this have such low crediblity and
high drift rates.

Ed Pawlowski June 21st 10 07:17 PM

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know how a medical tank was handled. I don't know anything about
a welding tank. The oxygen may be pure going in, but I don't know
what was in the tank beforehand.

So you are speculating that the average compressed-gas retailer or
supplier does not perform the same steps to evacuate / clean / what-ever
/ a welding tank that he (or you) does with a medical tank.

I'm not speculalting; you are. I said I did not know but you are trying to
twist that. . Please don't lower yourself that way; it is not very
becoming. .

I'm not stuck on decades information, my son owns a medical supply
company that supplies oxygen.

So you have a vested interest to maintain the impression that the
average citizen shouldn't or can't use less expensive welding oxygen
tanks in place of "medical" certified tanks for breathing or as a
respiratory aid.

I have a vested interest in supplying proper care for patients. I'm not
maintaining any impression, I'm dealing with facts.
If it does not have that piece of paper, it is not medical oxygen. By
supplying anything else, a supplier can be sued, can lose accreditation. I
have a vested interest in complying with regulations. Use what you want,
but you won't get it from me. Nor will your insurance company pay for it if
not in compliance.

I know what is in medical oxygen and can trace the source. Until you can do
the same with welding oxygen, it is now allowed for patient use, now matter
how much you say it is the same. FWIW, the actual cost of oxygen has
little bearing on the cost of supplying it to a patient at home. It has no
bearing on how much a supplier is paid by Medicare or insurance,as that is a
fixed amount. They give the supplier $XX per month to cover the oxygen and
all associated supplies and costs. Some patient se 2X or 3X of others, butt
he amount paid is the same. If we could supply welding O2, it would be more
profitable, not less.

Ed Pawlowski June 21st 10 07:28 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
A fellow I know works on X-ray equipment and said the 50 cent bolt from
HD or Lowe's costs $25 if it's for one of his X-ray machines. The reason
being a stack of paperwork required for each little part. Is it
an exaggeration? I don't know but I know someone who does and I may have
to drop by and ask him.

TDD

I don't know if that is exactly the cost, but it sure is going to be higher.
Anything needing certification or to meet military specs is higher. In the
McMaster catalog a 1/4-20 stainless bolt can be 14¢ to meet ASTM specs and
becomes 94¢ to meet a MIL spec.

Kurt Ullman June 21st 10 08:11 PM

In article , Some Guy wrote:

While that sounds logical, just saying it is not going to satisfy others
unless more concrete proof is posted to show that the average compressed
gas retailer or supplier performs the same processes and proceedures on
all types of returned cylinders (evacuation, internal cleaning, etc)
prior to refilling.

Actually all that is needed is to know that the FDA and other
agencies require certain additional tests to be performed and paperwork
filled out before something can be called medical oxygen. Under these
laws you cannot knowingly sell non-medical Oxygen for medical purposes
and the insurance company sure as heck won't pay for it.
If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for medical,
yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label uses, but you take
on extra risks by doing that.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

notbob June 21st 10 09:36 PM

On 2010-06-21, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know if that is exactly the cost, but it sure is going to be higher.
Anything needing certification or to meet military specs is higher. In the
McMaster catalog a 1/4-20 stainless bolt can be 14¢ to meet ASTM specs and
becomes 94¢ to meet a MIL spec.

Just like food grade propane! ;)

nb

Pete C. June 21st 10 09:38 PM

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for medical,
yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label uses, but you take
on extra risks by doing that.

The chief extra risk is that someone will claim that the welding O2 will
kill you for some nebulous reason. I guess the medial O2 atoms are
different from the welding O2 atoms.

AZ Nomad[_2_] June 21st 10 10:03 PM

On 2010-06-21, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know if that is exactly the cost, but it sure is going to be higher.
Anything needing certification or to meet military specs is higher. In the
McMaster catalog a 1/4-20 stainless bolt can be 14¢ to meet ASTM specs and
becomes 94¢ to meet a MIL spec.

Just like food grade propane! ;)

You need to quit sniffing the stuff.

Some Guy June 21st 10 10:41 PM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know how a medical tank was handled. I don't know anything
about a welding tank. The oxygen may be pure going in, but I
don't know what was in the tank beforehand.

So you are speculating that the average compressed-gas retailer
or supplier does not perform the same steps to evacuate / clean
/ what-ever / a welding tank that he (or you) does with a medical
tank.

I'm not speculalting; you are.

I've never stated either why what I think is done to returned welding
tanks prior to getting refilled.

The worst case situation is to assume that no special treatment is done
to them. They are simply connected to a compressor and they are
re-charged with O2, and probably using the same equipment, the same
valves and lines and the same source of O2 that are used to fill all O2
tanks that are sold or rented at that site, which could be for welding,
medical, or aviation use.

I said I did not know but you are trying to twist that. .

I said several times that you are proceeding from a point of view that
the handling and processing of returned welding tanks IS different from
that of medical tanks.

Let me ask you this:

If, hypothetically speaking, a compressed-gas supplier handled and
processed ALL returned O2 cylinders the same way (both welding and
medical cylinders) - which is to say that they are always cleaned,
evaculated, etc, according to medical-grade specifications, then what
would be your argument that an end-user shouldn't purchase a tank of
"welding grade" O2 for their own medical or veterinary purposes from
that supplier?

If it does not have that piece of paper, it is not medical oxygen.

I agree that selling a tank of welding O2 to someone as a medical-grade
tank of O2 (and charging medical-grade prices) is wrong and probably
violates all sorts of laws and insurance policies.

But we are not talking specifically about that situation (product
fraud).

If I buy welding O2 specifically for medical purposes, I agree that I am
taking some sort of risk that I have no recourse or remedy for should
the tank contain some harmful impurity. But I'm not convinced that a
medical tank has a lower probability of containing a harmful impurity
compared to a welding tank. The difference is that when I pay more for
a medical tank, I am in effect buying an insurance policy that allows me
to seek financial compensation. Perhaps I see no value in that
additional cost if the odds of any tank (welding or medical) containing
a harmful impurity are extremely low.

Some Guy June 21st 10 10:44 PM

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for
medical, yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label
uses, but you take on extra risks by doing that.

Is it really the case that you are taking on extra risk?

Or is it more the case that you can seek financial compensation if you
purchase the medical-labelled product, because the extra cost you
shelled out for was essentially an insurance policy - not a garantee or
a certainty of getting a better product. ?

Kurt Ullman June 21st 10 11:02 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

In article . com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for medical,
yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label uses, but you take
on extra risks by doing that.

The chief extra risk is that someone will claim that the welding O2 will
kill you for some nebulous reason. I guess the medial O2 atoms are
different from the welding O2 atoms.

I would say the extra risk is not quantifiable, at least within the
confines of a Usenet group.
Anyone interested, here are the FDA regs for med oxygen. The only
thing that really stood out initially is the requirement to double
purge, and some bookkeeping stuff.
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceM...GuidanceManual
/ucm074381.htm

Kurt Ullman June 21st 10 11:05 PM

In article , Some Guy wrote:

I said several times that you are proceeding from a point of view that
the handling and processing of returned welding tanks IS different from
that of medical tanks.

It is, by federal regulation. How much of the difference is paperwork
and how much is real... well it IS a federal regulation.

Let me ask you this:

If, hypothetically speaking, a compressed-gas supplier handled and
processed ALL returned O2 cylinders the same way (both welding and
medical cylinders) - which is to say that they are always cleaned,
evaculated, etc, according to medical-grade specifications, then what
would be your argument that an end-user shouldn't purchase a tank of
"welding grade" O2 for their own medical or veterinary purposes from
that supplier?

Other than the insurance company won't pay for it?

Kurt Ullman June 21st 10 11:08 PM

In article , Some Guy wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for
medical, yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label
uses, but you take on extra risks by doing that.

Is it really the case that you are taking on extra risk?

At least at the level of expertise shown on this NG, you are
definitely taking on a risk of not knowing exactly if there is a
difference.

Or is it more the case that you can seek financial compensation if you
purchase the medical-labelled product, because the extra cost you
shelled out for was essentially an insurance policy - not a garantee or
a certainty of getting a better product. ?

You are guaranteed you are getting a different product, medical
oxygen as opposed to non-medical oxygen. You are guaranteed that extra
steps were taken in the production of the medical oxygen that are
required to get that designation. Now whether that is real or not, I
guess is open to discussion.

Steve B[_10_] June 21st 10 11:58 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article , Some Guy wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

[...]

I, for one, would bet a dollar to a donut hole that billions of cubic feet
of industrial oxygen has been sold as medical oxygen, and charged for
accordingly. Particularly among the PC crowd.

Steve

Steve B[_10_] June 22nd 10 12:03 AM

"Pete C." wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

[...]

My guess is that there is actually a miniscule amount of difference, but one
would have to use sophisticated equipment to discern the difference. And I
believe that the miniscule amount of "contaminants", or things other than O2
molecules would not be dangerous to anyone's health unless they were cyanide
or plutonium or something equally harmful. Not enough difference to make a
difference, basically.

But I would be curious to hear from a test lab. BTW, that was an awesome
document. What did it say?

Steve

The Daring Dufas[_6_] June 22nd 10 03:11 AM

On 2010-06-21, Ed wrote:

I don't know if that is exactly the cost, but it sure is going to be higher.
Anything needing certification or to meet military specs is higher. In the
McMaster catalog a 1/4-20 stainless bolt can be 14¢ to meet ASTM specs and
becomes 94¢ to meet a MIL spec.

Just like food grade propane! ;)

nb

I've been using low cholesterol gasoline in my van.

TDD

[email protected] June 22nd 10 03:24 AM

On Jun 21, 5:44*pm, Some Guy wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for
medical, yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label
uses, but you take on extra risks by doing that.

Is it really the case that you are taking on extra risk?

Or is it more the case that you can seek financial compensation if you
purchase the medical-labelled product, because the extra cost you
shelled out for was essentially an insurance policy - not a garantee or
a certainty of getting a better product. *?

Its probably safe to assume anyone on O2 has health issues, so why add
extra health risks to anyone who is already ill?????

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] June 22nd 10 03:33 AM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Kurt Ullman wrote:

If the question is can someone go to the local Ox-shop, tell the
person they want welding oxygen, take it home and use it for medical,
yeah. Just like you can use medications for off-label uses, but you take
on extra risks by doing that.

The chief extra risk is that someone will claim that the welding O2 will
kill you for some nebulous reason. I guess the medial O2 atoms are
different from the welding O2 atoms.

I don't think anyone is saying the O2 is any different, just the possibility
of contamination in handling. As I stated, I've handled medical grade, but
not welding grade so I'm not going to speculate on the probability. I do
know that things like that can (and do) happen even with medical grade as
there is a human factor.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] June 22nd 10 03:41 AM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

"Some Guy" wrote

I said several times that you are proceeding from a point of view that
the handling and processing of returned welding tanks IS different from
that of medical tanks.

I said I don't know if there is a difference. You seem to have a difficult
time comprehending that. Once you do, you will realize there is no reason to
discus this any further. Feel free to assume I mean things I've never said
though, as long as you have fun.

Let me ask you this:

If, hypothetically speaking, a compressed-gas supplier handled and
processed ALL returned O2 cylinders the same way (both welding and
medical cylinders) - which is to say that they are always cleaned,
evaculated, etc, according to medical-grade specifications, then what
would be your argument that an end-user shouldn't purchase a tank of
"welding grade" O2 for their own medical or veterinary purposes from
that supplier?

If it does not have that piece of paper, it is not medical oxygen.

I already replied to that. See the line above.
I'm working with facts, you are working with speculation and hypothetical
speaking.

If I buy welding O2 specifically for medical purposes, I agree that I am
taking some sort of risk that I have no recourse or remedy for should
the tank contain some harmful impurity. But I'm not convinced that a
medical tank has a lower probability of containing a harmful impurity
compared to a welding tank.

You are welcome to your opinion. It may or may not be correct. Find out for
sure and be at ease with your speculation.

Some Guy June 22nd 10 01:58 PM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If, hypothetically speaking, a compressed-gas supplier handled
and processed ALL returned O2 cylinders the same way (both
welding and medical cylinders)

If it does not have that piece of paper, it is not medical oxygen.

I already replied to that. See the line above.
I'm working with facts, you are working with speculation and
hypothetical speaking.

You are not working with facts. You are working with pieces of paper.

It's ridiculous to say that two tanks that are handled identically
behind the scenes are nonetheless different because of a piece of paper.

But I'm not convinced that a medical tank has a lower
probability of containing a harmful impurity compared
to a welding tank.

You are welcome to your opinion. It may or may not be correct.
Find out for sure and be at ease with your speculation.

Since you claim to have actually filled commercial medical O2 tanks,
tell me what analytical testing you did to insure that their purity was
99.95%. What lab equipment did you use to determine the purity of the
O2 in those tanks?

Ed Pawlowski June 22nd 10 03:29 PM

"Some Guy" wrote in message

It's ridiculous to say that two tanks that are handled identically
behind the scenes are nonetheless different because of a piece of paper.

That piece of paper makes a big difference in the end use. It is not
medical oxygen without it, no matter your opinion. I suggest you take it up
with the FDA and have them change their ways. They make the rules, not me.

Since you claim to have actually filled commercial medical O2 tanks,
tell me what analytical testing you did to insure that their purity was
99.95%. What lab equipment did you use to determine the purity of the
O2 in those tanks?

I read the piece of paper that came from the O2 supplier. He does the
analysis and certifies it, then we fill patient tanks from the bulk tanks.
That complies with regulations. If we did that with welding grade and
distributed it for patient use, we'd be subject to all sorts of fines and
liability.

Steve B[_10_] June 22nd 10 03:56 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

You are not working with facts. You are working with pieces of paper.

I bought two tanks last year or two, and one was manufactured by a company
now out of business for twenty years. The tank had 800# pressure in it. It
was out of hydro.

I took it to one place, and they told me to unload it on to their dock, that
they were confiscating it, thank you very much. I said, not as long as it
was in back of my truck they weren't. I asked the man what they would do.
He said they would take the tank and give me nothing. He said they would
not trade it for another tank, or make one dollar worth of adjustment in the
price.

I went it to place two. The guy said, yeah, they still see them every once
in a while, and they are considered a find that is worth $150 that can be
had for free if they can get it from you. They told me to take it home, and
grind all the rust and grunge and letters off around the collar, and bring
it back, and for $12 for hydro and the price of the fill, they would swap it
for another.

I told him that I had used it for cutting, and that I did believe that it
was oxygen. He gave me an OXYGEN sticker he said to slap on the bottle. He
said he was only doing it because it had 800# pressure in it. He said if it
came into the loading dock without a sticker, and with no pressure, it would
be treated as an unknown quantity, and would have to be tested, purged, and
possibly the tank would have to be rolled.

I asked him why he would do this, and the other company wouldn't. He said,
"I can't answer that, you will have to." Well, for me, it is a decent
enough solution. I was not grinding off the letters on a company that was
currently in business and that I knew owned the bottle. When the lease goes
out on one bottle I currently have with that company, I am going to return
it with a letter to corporate explaining why I will not be doing ANY
business with them. I had done nearly $5,000 worth of business with them
the year of this incident.

I think those little stickers (pieces of paper with glue on one side) are
also available in MEDICAL OXYGEN and would not be hard to locate and
reliable cylinders.

Look! It's official. It has a piece of paper on it. It HAS to be MEDICAL
OXYGEN.

Unless one has the really spendy test equipment, you don't know what you
have. Oxygen to me would tend to be more likely to be pure, as mixing
contaminants would produce an explosive situation, and I really don't think
that most people would take the chance.

I'm still interested in seeing the answer to Ed's question on what test
equipment that guy uses to make sure they have medical oxygen. Maybe they
just look at that paper sticker for quality control.

Steve

[email protected] April 9th 14 09:44 PM

On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

micky April 9th 14 10:04 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 13:44:20 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

I doubt it. If it doesn't seem to help the person's condition after 3
or 4 minutes, I'd stop, at least for a while.

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen,

I think much more effort is put into purity, but the impurities in
welding oxygen wouldn't be so bad in an emergency.

H.o.m.e.G.u.Y April 9th 14 10:15 PM

basshammer5x4x3x2x @ gmail.com replied:

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen,
can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is
not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know
for sure....

Um, did you notice that you're replying to a post that I made almost 4
years ago?

Do you think I still need to know the answer today?

So now I get to ask you a question.

Now that you've seen how stupid it makes you appear, why do you insist
on experiencing usenet through the absolutely lame and broken
google-groups interface?

posting-host = 107.9.175.62

Mansfield Ohio?

Or Cleveland?

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 9th 14 11:52 PM

On 4/9/2014 4:44 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

You think someone got answer, since the question was four years ago?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Oren[_2_] April 10th 14 02:14 AM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:15:46 -0400, "H.o.m.e.G.u.Y"
wrote:

posting-host = 107.9.175.62

Mansfield Ohio?

Or Cleveland?

Your trick did not work, to shift to another non-existent group, Home
Boy.

Let the American help you out, homey boi.

Mansfield, Ohio

Need the GPS coordinates?

I'll note you used another nym back then.

JAS April 10th 14 02:44 AM

wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

I used to work for a propane company and we delivered the K oxygen
welding tanks to medical cust., they used a medical regulator and a
medical humidifier. Of course that was in the early 60's.

Pete C.[_3_] April 10th 14 04:17 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 4/9/2014 4:44 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

You think someone got answer, since the question was four years ago?

Perhaps, but probably not the accurate one. The reality is that the
purity standard for welding O2 is tighter than that for medical O2.
Ultimately, except for the "analytical grade" all of them come from the
exact same cryo tank of O2 at the filling station.

ChairMan[_6_] April 10th 14 04:18 AM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

posting-host = 107.9.175.62

Mansfield Ohio?

Or Cleveland?

Your trick did not work, to shift to another non-existent group, Home
Boy.

Let the American help you out, homey boi.

Mansfield, Ohio

Need the GPS coordinates?

I'll note you used another nym back then.

yet he wants to know how stupid it makes basshammer look, yet he's the
stupid mofo that has to morph daily to avoid killfiles.
Hey home boi, how stupid and *desperate* does that make you?chuckle

Tony Hwang April 10th 14 04:29 AM

wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

Hi,
I am not an expert on this matter. There are 4 types Oxygen,
aviation, welding, medical, research. As far as I know welding
Oxygen is purer than medical one, and stored pressure is higher.

DD_BobK April 10th 14 04:01 PM

ChairMan wrote:

I'll note you used another nym back then.

yet he wants to know how stupid it makes basshammer look,
yet he's the stupid mofo that has to morph daily to avoid
killfiles.

Chairman -

It's clear that homeguy is raising points and bring up facts and logic
that you either won't or can't refute in a clear and rational way, and
it seems to upset you.

I suggest you chill out and relax and just take it all in as our
country, our economy and way of life disintigrates in front of our eyes.

trader_4 April 10th 14 04:06 PM

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:01:08 AM UTC-4, DD_BobK wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

I'll note you used another nym back then.

yet he wants to know how stupid it makes basshammer look,

yet he's the stupid mofo that has to morph daily to avoid

killfiles.

Chairman -

It's clear that homeguy is raising points and bring up facts and logic

that you either won't or can't refute in a clear and rational way, and

it seems to upset you.

I suggest you chill out and relax and just take it all in as our

country, our economy and way of life disintigrates in front of our eyes.

Homelessguy and facts, logic? Good grief, that does not compute.

He's a clueless troll with a serious penis envy directed at the USA.
As nestork correctly pointed out, there are all kinds of real
attrocities going on in the world today. North Korea, Central African
Republic, Syria, Putin gobbling up the Ukraine. Yet all this dope
drones on about in one OT post after another is the USA?

[email protected] April 10th 14 05:22 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 22:17:46 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 4/9/2014 4:44 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

You think someone got answer, since the question was four years ago?

Perhaps, but probably not the accurate one. The reality is that the
purity standard for welding O2 is tighter than that for medical O2.
Ultimately, except for the "analytical grade" all of them come from the
exact same cryo tank of O2 at the filling station.

A friend uses "welding oxygen" to fill his breathing tanks for high
altitude flying in his Harmon Rocket.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 10th 14 05:37 PM

On 4/10/2014 12:22 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 22:17:46 -0500, "Pete C."
Perhaps, but probably not the accurate one. The reality is that the
purity standard for welding O2 is tighter than that for medical O2.
Ultimately, except for the "analytical grade" all of them come from the
exact same cryo tank of O2 at the filling station.

A friend uses "welding oxygen" to fill his breathing tanks for high
altitude flying in his Harmon Rocket.

Hope he doesn't catch fire and explode.
My guess, he'll be fine.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Ed Pawlowski April 10th 14 06:23 PM

On 4/9/2014 9:44 PM, JAS wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

I used to work for a propane company and we delivered the K oxygen
welding tanks to medical cust., they used a medical regulator and a
medical humidifier. Of course that was in the early 60's.

Medical oxygen must be at leas 99%pure, no odor. It is also tagged with
the lot so it can be traced. Often, it is from the same tanks as welding
oxygen as ts long as they both meet the minimum requirements, that is OK
to do.

In real life, I'd use welding oxygen if I was in need of it to breathe,
but as a supplier to patients, I'd not give it to you unless it had the
right tag. It keeps the lawyers away.

ChairMan[_6_] April 10th 14 07:04 PM

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

In ,
trader_4 belched:
ChairMan wrote:

[...]

it just proves that you can't beat *stupid*