DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sevin powder applicator ideas (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/304914-sevin-powder-applicator-ideas.html)

Stormin Mormon June 15th 10 05:57 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may
remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which
burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect.
Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the
powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy
getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug
dust?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] June 15th 10 06:02 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may
remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which
burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect.
Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the
powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy
getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug
dust?

Go to the baby product aisle of the supermarket or drug store and get one of
those bulb things used for getting snot out of babies' noses. And you *will*
go to whatever home/hardware store and get a serious filter mask, unless
you're stupid.

mike June 15th 10 06:04 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Dedicated turkey baster.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Dist..._of_Mormon.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Gods...mon_Church.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Mormon_Stumpers.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Prob..._of_Mormon.asp
http://www.catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp

Hell Toupee[_4_] June 15th 10 07:14 PM

wrote:
Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may
remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which
burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect.
Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the
powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy
getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug
dust?

I have to ask the obvious question: if you're having such a hard time
applying the Sevin in dust form, why aren't you using the liquid form
of Sevin in its place? It's safer for the applicator - inhaling
pesticide dust is no joke.

If you *must* use the dust form of Sevin, then for pity's sake break
down and buy a proper duster. Here's an online source for several
models. A good local farm/garden supply store should also be able to
help you.

http://www.pestsupplycenter.com/equi...s/dusters.html

Doug Miller June 15th 10 08:07 PM

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may
remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which
burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect.
Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the
powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy
getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug
dust?

Like this. You might need to enlarge the hole.
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....161c507175473f

Stormin Mormon June 15th 10 10:26 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

You know, that did occur to me. Thanks. Will let you know how it
works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

A turkey baister

Stormin Mormon June 15th 10 10:27 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Oh, that's a thought. Two votes for squeeze bulb device. I'm not sure
how much powder will be released. A dust mask is an interesting idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 15th 10 10:28 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Yes, clearly marked for the use. So that the squeeze bulb doesn't get
used for turkeys.

Thanks for the links. But, they aren't very accurate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike" wrote in message
Dedicated turkey baster.

Stormin Mormon June 15th 10 10:33 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Thanks for the link for dusters. The new breed of wasps burrows up
into the edge of the building, under the lower edge of the siding,
near the roof line. Hard to describe. I'm not sure if liquids would do
any good. Maybe?

I havn't yet tried to apply the powder. I don't know, yet, if it's
hard to apply. Or not. Simply havn't tried, yet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

ransley June 15th 10 10:43 PM

wrote:
Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may
remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which
burrow into the sides of my church building.

Several different type of wasp spray aparently had no effect.
Including carb cleaner spray.

Sevin powder seemed to work last year. The question is how to puff the
powder into the little wasp entrance hole. Without the repair guy
getting to breathe the powder. So, how does one apply powdered bug
dust?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

They sell sevin also in a lawn spray version that attaches to a garden
hose , like the lawn fertiliser bottles. I used it on japaese Bettles
on a Willow tree and it kept the bettles off for months, I think I
also did one in ground nest wth it and it worked. Ive done to many
nests to count with the powder, maybe 20, but the liqued bottle on a
hose is worth a try or mixing the powder on a garden sprayer, I
believe it leaves a film that is active for a long time.

mike June 15th 10 11:08 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

On Jun 15, 2:28*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thanks for the links. But, they aren't very accurate.

Right back at ya.

Stormin Mormon June 16th 10 01:36 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Totally brilliant! And, it would explain why I'm in a store, buying...
uh, well.... you know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 16th 10 01:37 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

The entrance to the wasp nest is about 3/8 inch hole, and the nest is
uphill from there. Not likely to work in this application.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 16th 10 01:38 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

My link has about 11 million people who have prayed to know if it's
true, and God has said yes. Your link is a bunch of people living the
family traditions.

Until the Spirit says otherwise, I'm going to keep sharing what I know
to be true. You keep sharing what your family tradition is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Roger Shoaf June 16th 10 03:40 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Oh, that's a thought. Two votes for squeeze bulb device. I'm not sure
how much powder will be released. A dust mask is an interesting idea.

HPC makes a nice little rubber graphite gun to puff powder.

In the alternative perhaps blending the powder with some cream cheese and
use a pastry bag to squeeze the stuff into the cracks

aemeijers June 16th 10 03:58 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The entrance to the wasp nest is about 3/8 inch hole, and the nest is
uphill from there. Not likely to work in this application.

(vanished upstream message restored for clarity- Stormin, if you MUST
top-post, get rid of your sig delimiter.)

..

"ransley" wrote in message

They sell sevin also in a lawn spray version that attaches to a garden
hose , like the lawn fertiliser bottles. I used it on japaese Bettles
on a Willow tree and it kept the bettles off for months, I think I
also did one in ground nest wth it and it worked. Ive done to many
nests to count with the powder, maybe 20, but the liqued bottle on a
hose is worth a try or mixing the powder on a garden sprayer, I
believe it leaves a film that is active for a long time.

------------
(now my reply)

The Sevin my local Farm Bureau sells comes in a plastic squeezable
bottle, with a skinny tube you snap into the opening. You shake it up to
unclump it, stick the tube in the hole, and squeeze hard. Shoots out a
nice big puff of powder. Usual caveats about long-sleeve shirts tucked
and taped as needed, and goggles and a mask, apply. Best to hit the hole
after dark, to catch as many as possible at home.

--
aem sends...

JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] June 16th 10 01:18 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Go to the baby product aisle of the supermarket or drug store and get
one of
those bulb things used for getting snot out of babies' noses. And you
*will*
go to whatever home/hardware store and get a serious filter mask,
unless
you're stupid.

Oh, that's a thought. Two votes for squeeze bulb device. I'm not sure
how much powder will be released. A dust mask is an interesting idea.

An interesting idea? Are you out of your mind? It's mandatory, you twit.

Also: On this planet, smart people do not top-post. "Like a book" is the
correct way.

JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] June 16th 10 01:19 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Thanks for the link for dusters. The new breed of wasps burrows up
into the edge of the building, under the lower edge of the siding,
near the roof line. Hard to describe. I'm not sure if liquids would do
any good. Maybe?

I havn't yet tried to apply the powder. I don't know, yet, if it's
hard to apply. Or not. Simply havn't tried, yet.

Try it first with something safe, like some baby powder, you twit.

mike June 16th 10 05:10 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

On Jun 15, 5:38*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My link has about 11 million people who have prayed to know if it's
true, and God has said *yes. Your link is a bunch of people living the
family traditions.

Until the Spirit says otherwise, I'm going to keep sharing what I know
to be true. You keep sharing what your family tradition is.

Gut feelings (even after praying) aren't a substitute for truth.

I've heard Mormons say that if the Catholic Church didn't apostasize
from the true faith, they'd have no reason not to be Catholic.

So here's my challenge. Pick a date for this great apostasty. Write
it down. Next, read the Church Fathers before that date and decide
for yourself if they sound like Mormons or Catholics.

Deal?

JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] June 16th 10 05:16 PM

wrote:
My link has about 11 million people who have prayed to know if it's
true, and God has said yes. Your link is a bunch of people living the
family traditions.

Until the Spirit says otherwise, I'm going to keep sharing what I know
to be true. You keep sharing what your family tradition is.

Gut feelings (even after praying) aren't a substitute for truth.

I've heard Mormons say that if the Catholic Church didn't apostasize
from the true faith, they'd have no reason not to be Catholic.

So here's my challenge. Pick a date for this great apostasty. Write
it down. Next, read the Church Fathers before that date and decide
for yourself if they sound like Mormons or Catholics.

Deal?
================

I love watching debates about mythology. I just wish I had some popcorn.

mike June 16th 10 05:21 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

On Jun 16, 9:16*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I love watching debates about mythology. I just wish I had some popcorn.

The oddest myth I've ever heard of is that the universe exists for no
reason.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-mo...xistence.htm#6

Doug Miller June 16th 10 05:54 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

In article , mike wrote:
On Jun 16, 9:16=A0am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I love watching debates about mythology. I just wish I had some popcorn.

The oddest myth I've ever heard of is that the universe exists for no
reason.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-mo...xistence.htm#6

Unfortunately, all of Kreeft's 20 arguments contain elementary logical
fallacies, mostly _petitio principii_ or "begging the question". The only one
that I found even remotely compelling -- and I'm a practicing Catholic, I
*agree* with him -- was #17: "There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Therefore there must be a God. You either see this one or you don't. "

Stormin Mormon June 17th 10 12:30 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

I've got a couple graphite guns. I'd never occured to me, to make a
paste and inject it like caulk. That could work, the entrance holes
are small enough. Worth some thought.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 17th 10 12:32 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

Winblows Outhouse Distress puts in the sig defibrillator. Farm supply
place makes sense, to me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon June 17th 10 12:33 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

If you can minimize my witness of the spirit, I'll minimize your
truth. That's just what some old guys wrote in a book, you can't know
that Catholic is true.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 17th 10 12:34 AM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

I believe in popcorn. Long as it's true popcorn.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] June 17th 10 12:20 PM

Sevin powder applicator ideas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Winblows Outhouse Distress puts in the sig defibrillator. Farm supply
place makes sense, to me.

Stop top posting, you knucklehead. You cannot justify it except to say that
you're bored with life and you think top posting is exciting. Get a
different hobby.