Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears water softener and Morton System Saver salt.

Been using Sears softeners over the years. Our last softener had problems
with the plastic solenoids eroding due to chemicals in the System Saver salt
I was using (according to service tech,) so bought a new softener and
started using straight Morton pellet salt with no problems. Was using 25lb
bags (age catching up with me as far as lifting the 40lb bags), now only
see 25lb bags with System Saver salt. Started buying no name pellets 40lbs
but think it maybe bridging.

Just wondering if any others are in the same dilemma?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Questor" wrote in message
Been using Sears softeners over the years. Our last softener had
problems with the plastic solenoids eroding due to chemicals in
the System Saver salt I was using (according to service tech,) so
bought a new softener and started using straight Morton pellet
salt with no problems. Was using 25lb bags (age catching up with
me as far as lifting the 40lb bags), now only see 25lb bags with
System Saver salt. Started buying no name pellets 40lbs but think
it maybe bridging.

Just wondering if any others are in the same dilemma?

I rather doubt that the bridging is due to the brand. We find that
putting too much salt in the tank causing bridging. I really don't
think there is much, if any, difference in brands. We always buy
what is cheapest.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

30 plus years in the softener business, and I can tell you
without a doubt, that all pellet salt bridges, and yes, there
are certain ones that do bridge worse than others. But I
will tell you that good solar salt will bridge less than any
kind of pellet salt. period