Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC blower weirdness

Thanks to all for the input. Here was the solution. I feel a bit silly
telling you all the solution. A very simple one but it would be nice to
know why it works this way. I flipped the fan switch to 'auto'. Fan blower
kicks on immediately when I turn on the AC.

I tried my sequence below to test this with the fan set to 'ON' and got the
same results as before. Fan in 'Auto' mode starts blower for AC just as it
should.

Can you please explain to me why this is so? Thanks again for your help.

"Jack" wrote in message
Good morning, I've got some weirdness with my forced hot air furnace
blower when the HVAC goes on. Thought you all might have some input
before I either attempt to fix it or call a tech. Here are the symptoms.

1. Turn on AC. Outside unit goes on. Furnace blower does not.
2. Turn on heat. Furnace blower goes on as expected.
3. Turn off heat. Furnace blower turns off as expected.
4. Turn on AC. Outside unit kicks on. Furnace blower then starts up. AC
runs fine.

I'm able to recreate this consistently each day. If you have some ideas,
please let me know. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2010 14:29, Jack wrote:
Thanks to all for the input. Here was the solution. I feel a bit silly
telling you all the solution. A very simple one but it would be nice to
know why it works this way. I flipped the fan switch to 'auto'. Fan
blower kicks on immediately when I turn on the AC.

You have a problem with your thermostat or the the control unit in the
furnace. With the fan switch at ON, the fan should run at high speed
regardless of whether the thermostat is calling for heat or cooling. In
the AUTO position, the fan operates with the compressor. To test the
furnace, cross the red and green leads from the thermostat. The fan
should run. If it does, your thermostat is defective.