Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen cabinet side fillers?

I've got a set of kitchen cabinets that I want to move to a new location.
Would it be hard to find the filler, side panels to fit the new area which
is about 8" wider then the old location. I don't think they are custom
cabinets, they are basic oak upper cabinets. They currently have a 4"
filler side panel on each side and I need to find one about 8" on each side.
I know, 16" I could have another cabinet but it wouldn't match the current
setup. Is that filler panel something sold at a big box stores or a custom
job?

Thanks,
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:31:31 -0500, "Joe J"
wrote:

I've got a set of kitchen cabinets that I want to move to a new location.
Would it be hard to find the filler, side panels to fit the new area which
is about 8" wider then the old location. I don't think they are custom
cabinets, they are basic oak upper cabinets. They currently have a 4"
filler side panel on each side and I need to find one about 8" on each side.
I know, 16" I could have another cabinet but it wouldn't match the current
setup. Is that filler panel something sold at a big box stores or a custom
job?

Thanks,
Joe

If these are the standard red oak you can match fairly well using the
oak boards they sell at HD/Lowes places. I found my Kemper cabinets
seemed to be red oak with MinWax cherry stain, at least that was what
I got the closest match with (after several trial and error sessions
with different stains). Then you paint a coat or two of clear poly
urethane on it and you are good to go.
I couldn't really stand to lose the space so I made a couple pull out
shelves in one void and this in the other
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/wraprack.jpg

Take a door off, drive around to the local kitchen cabinet dealers, and
ask if they have filler panels in that shade (including the age patina
that no cleaning completely removes.) You may get lucky, and it is worth
paying a few bucks extra to avoid screwing around with trial-and-error
field finishing.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Exactly - It is so simple the OP should have thought of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:01:58 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)

wrote:
[...]

I did try to eliminate the trial and error for him. We have a lot of
red oak in this house from 3 manufacturers and minwax cherry over red
oak is a good match for all of them.

If he can actually get a cabinet company to sell him material out the
back door that is great but they were not too helpful when I talked to
them here. I suppose YMMV

I've never known a big-box or boutique dealer that wouldn't sell filler
material. They may not want to order a small quantity (like less than a
full sheet of whatever size it comes), but if OP is willing to pay for a
full sheet, or the dealer has some scraps, it is free money for them.
Not like OP was in the market for new cabinets, and little deals like
this help to build good word-of-mouth to other buyers.

Maybe I was always just lucky.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Or at least not **** off potential future customers. If it's a scrap
they might even give it away for the return goodwill.