Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Warranty Companies

Thanks for the good, useful, comments about Home Warranty
Companies. The home we're considering offers one as part of the
sales package. If I have to use it or lose it, I'd prefer going
with a company that has a good track record. The present house
we're in is a good example of the BS from most of the companies.
Again, it was a take it or forget it offer in the listing
contract.

Our pool has a Hayward system of pumps, valves and controller,
together with 2 remote heads for the controller. A few months
after moving in, it became impossible to set the time, and thus
the time the pumps and valves would operate. The clock was
apparently the culprit and not the two control heads. I called
the company and they sent their pool genius out to look. He
fiddled with things and finally told me it wasn't a warranty item,
since the warranty covered the pool system and not the clock. I
asked him how/why the clock, integrated in the Hayward controller
would be singled out as not part of the "system," and he said he
wasn't there to argue with me, and walked away.

Trust me, good people, I'm not the type to sigh and write off
something if it's a matter of principle. In this case, it was
principle PLUS a new circuit board and labor, running in the $400
range. I had a "Come to Jesus" with the warranty company
answering droid, his supervisor and then worked my way to the
local real estate board and about anyone else who would listen,
including letters to the newspapers. Finally, they blinked and
"compromised" by locating a replacement board. I did the labor,
which was no big deal, and that apparently let them feel they'd
partially won.

As part of our little agreement, I agreed to not use their name
when discussing my experience, and even after all these years, I
can live with that. Let's just say that their name was one of the
ones mentioned in this thread both here and elsewhere.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 2:07*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
[...]

.

It's amazing how a well-worded letter to the editor of a local
newspaper can get results. As long as you state verifiable facts,
most papers will print what you send in if it is not a pure rant, but
rather a warning to others folks to beware of whatever happened to you.