Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawnmowerclass

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Just saw the ad on TV. Wasn't this the subject of a LONG thread here at one
time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 3:27*pm, "JimT" wrote:
https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Just saw the ad on TV. Wasn't this the subject of a LONG thread here at one
time?

I'll be filing my claim(s) as soon as I get home and get the numbers
off of my mowers.

I've got a walk behind Honda and a riding Craftsman. That could mean
$110 in the ole pocket and maybe some extended warranties.

One thing to note:

The settlement includes this clause:

"If claims exceed the amount available for Cash Benefits, the cash
payments will be reduced on a proportional basis so that all valid
claims can be paid."

Since we're talking about a substantial percentage of the mowers
purchased in the last 15 years, that's a lot of claims - if we all
file.

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum
award.
Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum
award.

========

That might be a problem since they are running ads g. I only brought it up
because I thought there was a heated thread (my favorite kind) on the
question of HP measurement. I bought a mower around that time but it is a
Troy Bilt and it works okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 12:49*pm, "JimT" wrote:
snip

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum
award.

========

That might be a problem since they are running ads g. I only brought it up
because I thought there was a heated thread (my favorite kind) on the
question of HP measurement. I bought a mower around that time but it is a
Troy Bilt and it works okay.

Yeah, there have been numorous threads about HP ratings, many of them
related to Shop Vacs.

The way I always heard it was that many companies (especially Sears)
listed the "peak" HP the vac would achieve in that brief instance
between the time you jammed a screwdriver into the impeller and the
time the motor fried itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:21:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 23, 12:49*pm, "JimT" wrote:
snip

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum
award.

========

That might be a problem since they are running ads g. I only brought it up
because I thought there was a heated thread (my favorite kind) on the
question of HP measurement. I bought a mower around that time but it is a
Troy Bilt and it works okay.

Yeah, there have been numorous threads about HP ratings, many of them
related to Shop Vacs.

The way I always heard it was that many companies (especially Sears)
listed the "peak" HP the vac would achieve in that brief instance
between the time you jammed a screwdriver into the impeller and the
time the motor fried itself.

Peak RPM times peak torque, never mind that the two measurements aren't taken
simultaneously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 2:06*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:21:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 23, 12:49*pm, "JimT" wrote:
snip

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum
award.

========

That might be a problem since they are running ads g. I only brought it up
because I thought there was a heated thread (my favorite kind) on the
question of HP measurement. I bought a mower around that time but it is a
Troy Bilt and it works okay.

Yeah, *there have been numorous threads about HP ratings, many of them
related to Shop Vacs.

The way I always heard it was that many companies (especially Sears)
listed the "peak" HP the vac would achieve in that brief instance
between the time you jammed a screwdriver into the impeller and the
time the motor fried itself.

Peak RPM times peak torque, never mind that the two measurements aren't taken
simultaneously.- Hide quoted text -

Heck; gas lawn mowers have no class anyway! Crude devices comprising
a noisy rough and ready small engine whirling a horizontal blade.
Some people even wear ear protection while mowing, they are so noisy.
Gas mowers often subject to local noise ordinances, times of use
etc..
S'long as it cuts grass and is simple and reliable; forget all the
gadgets and ratings.
If it does the job and cheaply that's fine.
Over the last 50 (two homes) years we have probably spent no more than
$500, including the purchase of one 'new' machine ($125 some 15-20
years ago IIRC) and a number of used ones and the odd repair. Seem to
recall donating one engine with a jammed piston to a small engine
repair course at the local tech. and got it back afterwards working!
So $10 per year ain't bad?
The mower rebuilt last year using neighbours old engine on another
base looks set for another few years by which time will be 80+ and
maybe not mowing my own grass?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:34:57 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

On Apr 24, 2:06*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:21:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 23, 12:49*pm, "JimT" wrote:
snip

[...]

The point of the above is...

If it does the job and cheaply that's fine.

Cheaply is one answer, but not always a simple one. Ho good of a job it does
is another interesting data point. I rather like my Honda but it is just a
lawn mower.

Over the last 50 (two homes) years we have probably spent no more than
$500, including the purchase of one 'new' machine ($125 some 15-20
years ago IIRC) and a number of used ones and the odd repair. Seem to
recall donating one engine with a jammed piston to a small engine
repair course at the local tech. and got it back afterwards working!
So $10 per year ain't bad?

If you like butchered lawns, perhaps. ;-)

The mower rebuilt last year using neighbours old engine on another
base looks set for another few years by which time will be 80+ and
maybe not mowing my own grass?

Or looking at it from the wrong side.