Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Looking for a good trimmer/edger

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:44:27 -0700 (PDT), Anthona
wrote:

I just bought on line from home depot this trimmer that had a lot of
positive feedback and features, which to the best of my limited
knowledge in the subject am not aware of any other brand that does the
same thing. Unfortunately, the first couple of minutes of using it,
the spool would 'eat' up completely the line that was exposed. Each
time i manually had to feed the line and each time it would eat up the
line. I suspected a malfunction of the spool.

I don't see how the spool can eat up the line.

What eats up the line is running it against, too close to, something
it can't cut, like the sidewalk, a wall, a fence.

Have you prior experience using a string trimmer? If so, perhaps at
your previous location you trimmed around flower beds where there was
nothing to break the line, or around sidewalks that were lower into
the ground, so the grass could be trimmed without hitting the
sidewalk.

It was so chintzy
looking that I just couldn't see myself having to go through the same
process each time I had to use it. I called the company and they said
it that it sounds like a spring problem. They refused to send me
another spool to see if that were the case, unless I buy them. Judging

That's strange if it is still in warranty.

by the chintzy look of that spool, i was not encouraged to do it and i
returned it to my local home depot and got my refund. I had 2 weeks to
go before I would not be able to get a refund at all, then it would be
repairs. BTW, the company is WORX. Designed in Italy, manufactured in
China.
The feature that i liked most was that just by stepping on the bottom
of the trimmer, it would go into a horizontal position, which in my
backyard would have been handy. Does anyone know of a good trimmer
that is capable of doing the same?

A lot of them do that these days.

Oh yes it was a ni-cad battery
cordless ( not sorry to see that part go anyway ).I am talking about a
$100 tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

$100 tool.- Hide quoted text -

Good point about how to use a trimmer, my 300$ Sthil was eating line
till I learned "How" to use it. Someone new expects miracles from a
tool. On my Echo I use the heaviest line made, gauge of line makes all
the difference in life
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well each new tool introduces a new dimension, even if one has had
previous experiences. I had a weedeater for a little over 3 years and
had no problems with that one until the motor just upped and died. In
this case I just wanted to try at edging first to see if the line
would work. In a matter of a few seconds the line would completely
disappear into the spool, not even showing at all as it was cut
off..this happened 3 times after manually feeding the line. The only
thing i had hit was the soil not a sidewalk or whatever..Today, I
noticed at Lowes that they are selling WorX for the first time, the
same machine i bought online for $119, so i may give it another go
Possibly i got a lemon the first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:56:58 -0700 (PDT), Anthona
wrote:

Well each new tool introduces a new dimension, even if one has had
previous experiences. I had a weedeater for a little over 3 years and
had no problems with that one until the motor just upped and died. In
this case I just wanted to try at edging first to see if the line
would work. In a matter of a few seconds the line would completely
disappear into the spool, not even showing at all as it was cut
off..this happened 3 times after manually feeding the line. The only
thing i had hit was the soil not a sidewalk or whatever..Today, I
noticed at Lowes that they are selling WorX for the first time, the
same machine i bought online for $119, so i may give it another go
Possibly i got a lemon the first time.

A new string trimmer will likely have a smaller line gauge. They want
it to break, so you buy more.

Take a piece of your line and then compare that to a replacement line
gauge. Same?

(they call them "string" trimmers, but the thing uses "fishing" line)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, the weedeater that i used and this one and I must say most of
them use the .065 line. So they are the same guage. I do not see the
problem in the line itself, in the mechanism that controls it...the
spool