Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodel Project Plan

Hello All,
Looking for a little friendly advice. I’m currently in the
process demoing a two bedroom first floor apartment unit (1,000sqft)
with gas hookup, 100A service. To date this is what has been done –
entire unit has been brought down to studs, service updated from a 60A
to 100A panel, all knob & tube has been removed (house is in New
England circa 1880).
I’m looking for people’s approaches for remodeling project plans. I
have done this level of work in the past I’m just curious what people
approaches are and why to certain aspects of remodeling. I know some
people like putting wood floors in, then having drywall hung, taped
and sanded, then have the floors finished etc. Others prefer another
plan of attack.

Again to clarify everything in this unit is being redone – new
heating system, flooring, electrical, plumbing etc. I guess for all
intent I could just follow a new home construction project plan but
again people like to deviate in new construction as well.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your thoughts!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike P" wrote in message
[...]

I would want to make the bedrooms the right size with closets. Getting the
proper bathroom layout is important. Get the walls in the right place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*One thing that I am now taking into consideration when I do renovations is
accessibility. The baby boomers are coming and will be needing a home that
is easy to function in. I'm one of them.

In the bathroom install an ADA compliant toilet and put an electrical outlet
in for a bidet toilet seat. Install bars in the shower. Make the light
switches low enough so that someone in a wheelchair can reach them. Use
drawers for your kitchen cabinets. There are web sites that offer advice on
being ADA compliant, but I have a wheelchair leftover from my grandmother
that I use to make my own assessment of how to make life easier.

Some of my elderly customers moved to a new 55 and older complex a few miles
down the road. I was surprised to see that the builder did not do much to
add accessibility to each unit. One couple called me last week to get
estimates to change the switches which are at 46" center to Decora style and
to install an outlet for a bidet seat. The wife has Lou Gehrig's disease
and has difficulty lifting her arms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 05:48:38 -0700 (PDT), Mike P
wrote:

Again to clarify everything in this unit is being redone – new
heating system, flooring, electrical, plumbing etc. I guess for all
intent I could just follow a new home construction project plan but
again people like to deviate in new construction as well.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your thoughts!

I moved a walk-in closet door from a west wall to the south wall in a
master bath. In that opening I made a door sized medicine cabinet.
Used some supply containers to help judge the shelving space. For the
trim I used crown molding (weirdo cuts) but nothing like a flat door
trim. Then had wall-wall cabinets made and installed for the closet.
Before you had to enter the bathroom to get inside the closet. Now it
is in the BR.

(One day I'll put doors on the medicine cabinet)