DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/301067-what-psi-does-plastic-soda-bottle-explode-home-co2-carbonation.html)

Elmo[_6_] April 6th 10 09:34 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

LM[_3_] April 6th 10 09:43 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:34:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:
Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).
Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

They do explode.
http://www.stevespangler.com/teachin...s-like-a-bomb/

The question is the pressure at which they explode.

Glass bottles explode from 70 to 100psi.
Soda bottles can go way over 200 psi.

Call Coca Cola's information line 800-438-2653, 800-638-3286, or
800-888-6488 and let us know what they tell you.

mike April 6th 10 09:47 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 6, 1:34*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

If you don't believe your own gauges, why would you believe anonymous
blather posted on the net? If you think your gauges are messed up,
try different gauges and see.

Elmo[_6_] April 6th 10 09:55 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:43:42 -0700, LM wrote:

Glass bottles explode from 70 to 100psi.
Soda bottles can go way over 200 psi.
Call Coca Cola's information line 800-438-2653

I'm on the line with them right now! They are very helpful!

They do the research for you, while you wait. So far, the woman says the
maximum psi the package can withstand is based on the volume of carbonation
and type of fluid it contains.

Digging more, she says every one of their carbonated PET containers from 20
ounces to 2 liters can withstand the industry standard 150 psi. In
addition, some Coke products have PET packaging that can withstand up to
250 psi (it all depends on the type of product in the package).

They're gonna send me via email WHICH bottles can withstand 250 psi as the
lady said she had to sent that over to the Research Department.

Of course, I'm using Trader Joe's (very thick) plastic bottles so I'm not
sure how much of this applies; but, maybe that explains why I had no
explosions at 150psi yesterday.

It's great to learn from everyone here. If you have any information about
when a soda bottle explodes, please post the reference here!

Stormin Mormon April 6th 10 10:00 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

At 150 PSI, they would be useful as expansion tanks for air
compressors. Now, someone to make a manifold so we can
string together a bunch of two or three liter bottles.
Watch. Harbor Freight will have them next week.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Elmo"

Elmo[_6_] April 6th 10 10:01 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:47:03 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

If you don't believe your own gauges, why would you believe anonymous
blather posted on the net? If you think your gauges are messed up,
try different gauges and see.

My gauges are old. I don't want blather. I want facts. And references.

I always search first, so, I already did my search and posted the results.
But maybe someone else out there is a better searcher than I am and can
provide a reference. Surely I'm not the best there is.

I did follow up on the suggestion to call Coke (even though I'm using
Trader Joe's bottles).

The Coke plastic PETE bottles (from 20 oz to 2 liters) are either tested to
150 psi or to 250 psi (I'm waiting for them to confirm by mail which ones).

It would be nice to have more references though as I can't be the best
Internest searchist out there....

DerbyDad03 April 6th 10 10:05 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 6, 4:34*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Stolen without permission from http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...amputatio.html

Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Myth: You can launch someone 30-40ft with a bottle-rocket-powered
backpack.

"At 60 psi they would need 28 bottles, which is more than the 15 used
in the game show clip, so they decided to see how much more pressure
they could put into the bottles. Using a bike pump they were able to
get a the soda bottles up to 95 psi before their arms gave out. In
order to find the failure point of the bottles they hooked up the
pneumatic pump from Grant's "Deadblow" battle robot. The soda bottles
exploded at 150 psi and the water cooler bottles exploded at 95 psi,
so they decided that using soda bottles was better for the test even
though they got much more lift out of the water cooler bottle."

LM[_3_] April 6th 10 10:08 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:00:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

At 150 PSI, they would be useful as expansion tanks for air
compressors.

Interesting idea!

1. Buy copper pipe
2. Drill ten holes 2 inches apart in the steel pipe for the threaded bolts
3. Tap the ten holes in the galvanized steel pipe for the threaded bolts
3. Drill an axial hole through the center of ten threaded bolts
4. Drill a hole through the center of ten soda caps for the threaded bolts
5. Screw the ten threaded bolts into the caps and then into the steel pipe
6. Cap one end of the steel pipe & place a chuck on the other end
7. Chuck the other end of the steel pipe onto your CO2 regulator hose
6. Screw ten 2 liter soda bottles onto the ten caps bolted to the pipe
7. Turn on the C02 gas and pressurize the twenty liters to 150psi
8. Remove the chuck
9. You now have 20 liters of 150psi portable C02!

QUESTION:
How many liters of gas does a typical automotive car tire take anyway?

Elmo[_6_] April 6th 10 10:12 PM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:05:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...amputatio.html
soda bottles exploded at 150 psi
water cooler bottles exploded at 95 psi,

That's interesing. Thanks for the reference!

I wonder why Coke said ALL their PET bottles (from 20 oz to 2 liters) ar

How can we find the "industry standard" for soda bottles?

JIMMIE April 6th 10 10:16 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 6, 5:01*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:47:03 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:
If you don't believe your own gauges, why would you believe anonymous
blather posted on the net? *If you think your gauges are messed up,
try different gauges and see.

My gauges are old. I don't want blather. I want facts. And references.

I always search first, so, I already did my search and posted the results..
But maybe someone else out there is a better searcher than I am and can
provide a reference. Surely I'm not the best there is.

I did follow up on the suggestion to call Coke (even though I'm using
Trader Joe's bottles).

The Coke plastic PETE bottles (from 20 oz to 2 liters) are either tested to
150 psi or to 250 psi (I'm waiting for them to confirm by mail which ones).

It would be nice to have more references though as I can't be the best
Internest searchist out there....

Coke bottles used for water heater expansion tank

Jimmie

[email protected] April 6th 10 11:00 PM

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

I can assure you having seen a sprite truck lose 100 or so cases out
the back of a tractor trailer, its roll up door must not of been
secured and his inventory fell out the back some bottles expoloded and
many leaked at the caps.

explosion appeared to depend on agitating bottles.

the police got upset when I called 911 I asked for the reps ID number
and pointed out the truck left, not knowing of the mess it was leaving
behind it, and all this debris were going to cause a accident.......

telpehone cop said he woud send a car.

wish I had a camera it would of been nice for americas funniest hme
videos or u tube.......

Stormin Mormon April 6th 10 11:02 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle fil a car tire?

I'd have to tape measure one, and calculate it out. I'd
figure a passenger car tire at maybe 3 to 5 liters of air
space, at 35 PSI. Starting at 150, you'd get some where.

When we used to be able to get freon tank conversions. I
found that a 30 pound tank starting at 150 PSI would fill
one car tire from zero to about 28 PSI.

Easier to make a sort of manifold by drilling through the
cap, and then fasten the cap to the maifold. Use close
nipple, and a fitting in and out of the soda pop cap. Then,
screw the bottle on. Eventually, you'd need a new cap or a
new bottle. But they are cheap enough.

Soda bottle as water pipe expansion tank sounds good. At
least you can see if it's water logged.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Roger Shoaf April 6th 10 11:12 PM

"Elmo" wrote in message
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Not a news group but you may find the answers you seek he
http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Existential Angst April 6th 10 11:55 PM

wrote:

Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

I have a compressed air horn on my bicycle that uses a soda bottle as
the presssure tank. It has warnings all over it not to exceed 70 PSI,
and that is for a soda bottle that has had an additional safety sleeve
on it to prevent flying shards.

The horn proly doesn't need more than 20-30 psi -- I'da thought a hose
straight to your ass would produce that easily, on command.
I thought you were a Greenie, anyway....
--
EA

The plastic gets brittle when cold, so that would be an additional
factor to consider.

I cannot imagine why you would want anywhere near 150 PSI for soda.

Elmo[_6_] April 7th 10 12:12 AM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:00:00 -0400, wrote:

The horn needs 70 PSI. When it gets down to 20, it's not very loud.

How do you pressurize it?

Do you use an air pump or C02 tank?

Judy Zappacosta April 7th 10 12:45 AM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:34:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

Thank God for young boys. Empirical data is only a video away!

"A typical two-liter soda bottle can generally reach the pressure of 100
psi (690 kPa) safely"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_rocket

How to make a soda bottle explode (slow motion):
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/991622...eps_on_how_to/

Blowing up 2 liter soda bottle (skip to 5:00 min for the explosion):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXhze-xyiw

Coke Bottle PSI Bombs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rugiELG5Q

Soda bottle bomb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGsO5S_DhU

Launching Pressurized Bottle Rockets @100 psi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUadbuuFktM

Exploding bottles with Dry Ice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqZUyXjKZo

How to Make a LOUD Water Bottle Bomb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3j9EFhKvAw

Twayne[_3_] April 7th 10 12:59 AM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

In ,
Elmo typed:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle
explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've
put in 150PSI of C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly
thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles
are supposed to explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup
for home carbonation, please let me know.

Good grief: If a bottle broke open it because it froze, that
had to do with the expansion of the contents, not the
carbonation. You can do the same thing with plain water for
pete's sake.

Many people hoodwinked here - it had nothing to do with the
carbonation and knowing the exploding point of the bottles
isn't much use when it's pressure from freezing and expanding
contents inside the plastic, and even less to do with home
carbonation. When liquid cools, it expands - which can burst
bottles, metal pipes, whatever.

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 01:27 AM

In article , Elmo wrote:
[...]

I would advise to have your pressurized bottle located in a location
where an explosion is tolerable. I would not bet my life or the house on
the pressure to be used to not exceed what it should not exceed, or the
bottle to not have a flaw or damage (possibly incurred after its
manufacture) that causes it to fail to withstand what it's supposed to
withstand.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 01:52 AM

In article , LM wrote:
[...]

Eyeball-estimate - roughly a torus that on largish side has a
tubular cross section whose diameter is 20 cm, and with a 50 cm diameter
of the tube's "centerline". Volume of such a "largish tire" would in
cubic centimeters be 20 squared times pi/4 tomes 50 times pi, or 49,348
cubic centimeters. Divide by 1,000 to get liters - about 49.

That does sound to me large for a tire, maybe about right for a tire for
a large SUV. Also, most car and SUV tires are not inflated past 36 PSI.
50 liters at 36 PSI, if compressed to 150 PSI, takes up 12 liters.

One more thing - CO2 has slightly different dynamics in compressibility
than air does, due to its lower specific heat ratio. CO2 at 32 PSI in a
14 PSI atmosphere has the same "stiffness" as air would have at about 28.5
PSI. The vehicle's ride and "road feel" and how much the tires get mashed
by bumps and potholes would be as if the tires were underinflated about
11%. The specific heat ratio of a gas alters its compressibility when it
is compressed or expanded quickly enough to have its temperature respond
to the change in pressure rather than being held by heat conduction to the
ambient temperature.

However, the wear rate and wear pattern would be determined more by the
pressure alone. Compensating with a higher pressure would concentrate the
wear towards the "centerline" of the tread.

Also, pressure alone contributes to much of the stress that parts of the
tire must face and the shape of the tire and its contact patch when it is
supporting a load. This affects its traction on wet roadways at
higher speeds. These factors can severely limit use of higher pressure
just because the gas is more compressible in a "dynamic sense".

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 01:57 AM

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

I would be leary about the ability to withstand 150 or 120 PSI being
valid at the highest temperature that can be encountered in this
application. I have had experience with boiling water causing PET soda
bottles to soften and go out of shape without any significant pressure at
all.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 02:11 AM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

In ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

SNIP previously quoted material

Stolen without permission from http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/
episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Myth: You can launch someone 30-40ft with a bottle-rocket-powered
backpack.

"At 60 psi they would need 28 bottles, which is more than the 15 used
in the game show clip, so they decided to see how much more pressure
they could put into the bottles. Using a bike pump they were able to
get a the soda bottles up to 95 psi before their arms gave out.

SNIP from here

There are many bike tires rated to take 105, even 110 PSI.

A decent floor pump can achieve 110-120 PSI in the hands of most
serious cyclists and bike mechanics.

Frame-fit pumps for "road bikes" in my experience can achieve 130-150
PSI. Back when I worked a messenger job, I often pumped my rear tire to
130-140 PSI so that I could carry heavier loads (80-150 pounds) on a rear
rack that I built for the purpose. I made more money that way, and the
motor vehicle messengers in my company were happier to get less business
in the areas where parking was more impossible.

Experience taught me which tires were able to take such abuse, and which
ones were not. (And an extra-loud *KABOOM* would sometimes occur at a
very inconvenient time, such as halfway through a 2 mile delivery run, or
while my bike was parked in my home at 5 AM. Some messengers keep their
bikes in their bedrooms, although I did not combine that with a tire
rated 110-115 PSI and inflated to 130-140 PSI.)

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 02:24 AM

In , J. Zappacosta said in part:

How to make a soda bottle explode (slow motion):
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/991622...eps_on_how_to/

Why is it so popularly mentioned on the web how to blow up soda bottles
with caustic chemicals? (This is far from the first time I have heard on
the web and in Usenet how to do that with caustic chemicals of one sort or
another.)

If someone has to make a big bang and maybe attract attention of the
police, would it not be more wise to use something not so caustic, such as
vinegar and chalk, or better still water and a bunch of Alka-Seltzer
tablets, or a long hose and an air compressor or a long hose and a bicycle
pump made to achieve higher pressures used in road bikes and track bikes?
Get someone good and strong to operate the bike pump if much more than 150
PSI is needed to get the cars coming in with red and blue flashing lights?

- Don Klipstein )

Robert Green April 7th 10 03:35 AM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I would be leery about the ability to withstand 150 or 120 PSI being
valid at the highest temperature that can be encountered in this
application. I have had experience with boiling water causing PET soda
bottles to soften and go out of shape without any significant pressure at
all.

Strongly agree!

My dad was a safety engineer and often testified at trials as an expert
witness. Soda bottles have a rich history of litigation. If they are
dropped just right in a store, for example, the cap can blow off with enough
force to put out an eye, and it's happened many times, it's not just a freak
one-off occurrence. Injuries have lessened with plastic v. glass bottles,
but they have not vanished entirely.

Much engineering has gone into designing safer bottles (the odd star-shape
of the bottom is designed to "pop" visibly when dropped and provide some
visual warning that the bottle is overpressured. The screw threads on the
cap are interrupted for the same reason). Still, there are soda bottle
accidents every year in the US. Many are caused by shelf stockers insisting
on filling high shelves beyond capacity, making a floor drop from
considerable height all but certain.

Overpressurizing them for fun with kids around seems to be a pretty silly
idea. But they do make passable silencers for pistols if attached
correctly.

Search for "soda bottle eye injury" on Google to find many tales like this:

"We have come across six patients of ocular injuries due to CBB explosions
during a period of nearly two years. All the cases had unila*teral
involvement, right eye in four cases and left eye in two cases. All of these
patients had severe visual loss. Initial visual acuity, after the injury
ranged from loss of perception of light to finger counting at two meters
distance. In one case the eye was badly mutilated and had to be enucleated.
In five cases, the injury was caused by glass splinters, while in one case
it was due to the cap of the bottle. The injury due to the bottle cap was
interesting in that it left a clear impression of its crenated edge on the
skin of the lids and the cornea which gives some indication of the force of
the impact. In four cases the CBB exploded without provocation."

Source:
http://www.ijo.in/article.asp?issn=0... ;aulast=Gupta

--
Bobby G.

LM[_3_] April 7th 10 06:45 AM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:52:17 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein wrote:

Also, most car and SUV tires are not inflated past 36 PSI.
50 liters at 36 PSI, if compressed to 150 PSI, takes up 12 liters.

Then all we need are 6 two liter Coca Cola soda bottles!
We could just as easily fill them up with compressed air as with C02.
Sounds interesting.
I'm waiting for the you-tube video of the manifold!

Elmo[_6_] April 7th 10 06:51 AM

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:35:12 -0400, Robert Green wrote:

the odd star-shape of the bottom is designed to "pop" visibly when
dropped and provide some visual warning that the bottle is overpressured.
The screw threads on the cap are interrupted for the same reason.
In four cases the CBB exploded without provocation."

All very interesting especially the interrupted screw threads!

Never even noticed that until I just now took a look.

I suspect it makes the (over)pressurized air blow by the gaps, right?

LdB April 7th 10 05:58 PM

On 4/6/2010 3:34 PM, Elmo wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

They do blow up and with considerable force. My neighbor's friend
works in the bottled gas business. His company makes dry ice. He gets
it for nothing and uses it for keeping his beer cold when he comes out
here for the weekend. He likes to make loud noises by dropping dry ice
into plastic pop bottles then sealing them up.

Better than the big firecrackers we called blockbusters when I was a kid.

You wouldn't want one of those bottles next to your crotch if it
decided to go boom.

SM, don't try to impress the kids at church. Someone will get hurt.

LdB

Bob F April 7th 10 06:01 PM

Elmo wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in
150PSI of C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated
water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are
supposed to explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Lots of experience at rec.crafts.brewing.

If you are just carbonating drinks, there is no reason to go over 50 psi unless
you are in an extreme hurry. Why bother?

harry April 7th 10 08:25 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 6, 9:34�pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

If you are pressure testing bottles, on NO account use air or gas, the
bottle will explode violently at some point.
Use water, and wrap the bottle in a cloth. The bottle will just crack
when it fails, much safer.

Mysterious Traveler April 7th 10 09:54 PM

Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

If you don't believe your own gauges, why would you believe anonymous
blather posted on the net? If you think your gauges are messed up,
try different gauges and see.

As long as you are only trying to carbonate something and not
force an explosion, wouldn't only a few PSI be adequate?

Mysterious Traveler

Don Klipstein April 7th 10 11:48 PM

In article , I, Don Klipstein wrote:
In , J. Zappacosta said in part:

How to make a soda bottle explode (slow motion):
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/991622...eps_on_how_to/

Why is it so popularly mentioned on the web how to blow up soda bottles
with caustic chemicals? (This is far from the first time I have heard on
the web and in Usenet how to do that with caustic chemicals of one sort or
another.)

If someone has to make a big bang and maybe attract attention of the
police, would it not be more wise to use something not so caustic, such as
vinegar and chalk, or better still water and a bunch of Alka-Seltzer
tablets, or a long hose and an air compressor or a long hose and a bicycle
pump made to achieve higher pressures used in road bikes and track bikes?
Get someone good and strong to operate the bike pump if much more than 150
PSI is needed to get the cars coming in with red and blue flashing lights?

Maybe I was a bit premature - other links in the article that I
responded to did show soda bottles being blown up by an air compressor
and apparently also by a bike pump.

- Don Klipstein )

Elmo[_6_] April 8th 10 06:52 AM

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:54:20 -0500, Mysterious Traveler wrote:

As long as you are only trying to carbonate something and not
force an explosion, wouldn't only a few PSI be adequate?

Yes. My regulator is faulty. I thought it was the gauges but when I put a
second set of gauges on, I realized the regulator isn't working. It's
always at something over 150 psi.

It's not a big deal, as Coke confirmed by phone all their plastic 20oz to 2
liter PETE bottles are safety tested at the "industry standard" 150 psi and
some are even tested to 250 psi.

I've successfully carbonated, so far, water, grape juice, pinot noir wine,
lemonade, and orange juice. The attempt at carbonated milk and carbonated
yogurt weren't the most stellar of achievements though; neither was the
ice-cream carbonation nor the strawberry fruit carbonation.

But, I keep learning, e.g., here they actually test the burst pressure of a
2l coke bottle (and show a slo-mo video with the pressure counter in the
corner):
http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/procedures.htm
- Maximum Operating Pressure is called MOP (which is what you do when you
reach it)
- Test 1: 2 liter coke bottle burst at 190 psi (the bottle actually
stretches lengthwise in the slow motion video)
- Test 2: 1.25 liter coke bottle burst at 185 psi (in slow motion you see
the cones on the bottom stretch out to almost cylindrical before bursting)
- Test 3: 1.5 liter coke bottle burst at 175 psi (always the bottom or
sides give out before the cap does)
- Test 4: 1.25 liter coke bottle with duct tape burst at 195 psi (for the
first time, the cap sprunk a leak but the failure mode was the package)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...tle-62325.html
- A soda can is able to withstand over 100 PSI
- A 6.5-ounce glass soda bottle can withstand 225 PSI
- A 16-ounce glass soda bottle can withstand 175 PSI
- A PET soda bottle can withstand 150 PSI--the industry standard

Elmo[_6_] April 8th 10 07:12 AM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:48:15 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein wrote:

show soda bottles being blown up by an air compressor
and apparently also by a bike pump.

Interestingly, the only time the cap failed was when they heat treated the
coke bottle beforehand, as shown in in these tests:
http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/procedures.htm

Interestingly, in general, the larger the bottle, the lower the burst
pressure.

For example, while the standard 2 liter coke bottle with label burst at 168
psi, the standard 1.25 liter coke bottle burst at 185 psi.

Also interesting was the more gas (less liquid), the higher the burst
pressure; for example, that same 1.25 liter coke bottle burst at 190 psi
when it contained significant air.

In their last reported test, a 2 liter PET bottle failed at a lower psi
than you'd expect (150 psi) after simulated use (held at 130 psi for 3
minutes). This test might indicate plastique fatigue occurs with repeated
high pressurization.

So, I'd say Coke's report that all their bottles can handle 150 psi seems
reasonable as the MOP (maximum operating pressure) for PETE bottles.

BTW, those numbers are all way higher than the "guesstimates" made he
http://www.instructables.com/answers...bottle2l_hold/

Elmo[_6_] April 8th 10 08:06 AM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 06:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

So, I'd say Coke's report that all their bottles can handle 150 psi seems
reasonable as the MOP (maximum operating pressure) for PETE bottles.

Despite both Coke's statements and independent tests showing coke bottles
exploding well almost at 200 psi, the mythbusters seem to intimate they
explode at the much lower 150 psi pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...2005_season%29

So, I'm confused.

Elmo[_6_] April 8th 10 08:53 AM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:25:50 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

If you are pressure testing bottles, on NO account use air or gas, the
bottle will explode violently at some point.

This reference backs up the observation that the smaller bottles rupture at
higher pressures ...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9125950AAdiFbU

5 atmospheres is about 73.5 psi. I know that 16 ounce plastic coke bottles
are rated up to 175psi(11.9 atm). 2L bottles hold somewhat less. A coke can
holds about 100 psi(6.8atm). I don't know the rating of champagne bottles
but that the thick glass can withstand a marginally greater pressure than
the thin plastic. However the plastic will begin to stretch (audiblly) as
it nears failure and the glass will just shatter and send shards
scattering. I prefer the plastic.
Source(s):
The Coca Cola people told me... and I've also test popped a few first hand
as a demonstration as to ability of expanding gas to do work using liquid
nitrogen source in the capped bottles.

The coca cola contact is :
Gina M. L'Heureux
The Coca-Cola Company
Industry and Consumer Affairs

This answer, way too conservative, at least shows a mathematical process:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4051635AAoQDT9

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
You would have to do a bit of research: You need to know the dimensions of
the bottle: Diameter and wall thickness.

You need to know the plastic it is made from and the corresponding tensile
strength (yield) of the material. Then you can update these calculations:

Assuming that the diameter of the bottle D=5 inches, wall thickness t =
0.025 inches, and the plastic has a yield strength of 5000 psi:

The hoop stress in the wall of the bottle = PD/2t
The longitudinal stress in the wall = PD/4t

For this pressure vessel situation, those 2 stresses are orthogonal and and
the principal stresses s1 and s2, the von mises failure theory suggests
that the stress levels are acceptable if: sqrt(s1^2 - s1*s2 +s2^2) yield,
so:

sqrt((PD/4t)^2 - (PD/4t)*(PD/2t) + (PD/2t)^2) 5000

expanding and collecting the LHS =

0.433 P D / t 5000

Filling in the example numbers, P 57.7 psi

And ofcourse with anything safety related, a safety factor should be
applied in proportion to the risk severity. In this case an exploding
bottle probably would not cause death, but could cause serious injury - A
safety factor of 5 is likely appropriate... thus, assuming the example
numbers are about right, you should not pressurize to more than 57.7/5 =
11.5 psi (this is delta compared to 1 ATM)

But, of course, these guys are the most reliable I can find:
http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/procedures.htm

Ecnerwal[_3_] April 8th 10 01:47 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

When the kiddies were into bottle rockets (water and air type, not the
pyrotechnic type) they were running 2 liters up to 160 psi regularly.
After a few trips it made a Very Loud Noise. But until then it held, and
the landings probably didn't aid structural integrity any (dents,
creases, scratches.) Then again, it may have been simple fatigue.

Your home carbonation system can benefit from the science that aids the
engineering of commercial carbonation systems - chill the liquid - it
dissolves gas better at lower pressures. Since you can keep the
pressures lower, so you are not stressing things as much. Wasting
product on the floor is messy and irritating, not to mention loud and
attractive to ants, etc.

Tegger[_2_] April 9th 10 01:10 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

Elmo wrote in
:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 06:12:08 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

So, I'd say Coke's report that all their bottles can handle 150 psi
seems reasonable as the MOP (maximum operating pressure) for PETE
bottles.

Despite both Coke's statements and independent tests showing coke
bottles exploding well almost at 200 psi, the mythbusters seem to
intimate they explode at the much lower 150 psi pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...2005_season%29

So, I'm confused.

Explosion occurs at 150psi.

I think your confusion comes from some poor wording at that Wiki site.

This quote:
"The Build Team also found that water cooler jugs, while able to launch
higher at the standard air/water ratio for water bottle rockets, were
weaker than standard soda bottles (which are designed to hold carbonated
liquids), failing at around 60 psi (413 kPa) less than the soda bottles
(90psi (600kPa) as opposed to 150psi (1000kPa))."

might read more clearly as:
"The Build Team also found that water cooler jugs were able to launch
higher at the standard air/water ratio for water bottle rockets. However,
the jugs were weaker than standard soda bottles, failing at around 90 psi
(600 kPa), much less than the soda bottles, which fail at 150psi
(1000kPa)."

The intermixing of English and Metric also adds to the confusion of the
Wiki page's wording.

--
Tegger

dgk April 9th 10 01:45 PM

wrote:

Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Particularly on topic for me because I have an Air Horn on my bicycle:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Airzound.../dp/B000ACAMJC

It uses what appears to be a slightly thicker version of a soda
bottle. It is a very effective horn, in fact, a bit too loud. It
sounds like a Hemi on helium but does get through those jogger's
headphones.

Anyway, the bottle is usually fastened right below the crossbar, which
is right below my, well, nuts. We're told to fill it to 100 psi. If
there is one thing I don't want, it's that bottle exploding down
there.

Note the cost of this item. The price "reduction" drops it below the
free shipping ($25) level so it ends up costing more. Excuse me but
I'll just pay full price and get it shipped for free.

terry April 9th 10 02:01 PM

wrote:
[...]

I'll just pay full price and get it shipped for free.- Hide quoted text -

Considering all the above .................. were these tests
conducted on brand new (previously unusd) or 'used' ad emptied
bottles?

Used bottles having been previously stressed by the 'normal' pressure
of soft drinks.

LM[_3_] April 9th 10 04:34 PM

At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:52:17 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein wrote:

That does sound to me large for a tire, maybe about right for a tire for
a large SUV. Also, most car and SUV tires are not inflated past 36 PSI.
50 liters at 36 PSI, if compressed to 150 PSI, takes up 12 liters.

What volume of gas is contained in an automotive ti
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5256.Ch.r.html

Those guys came up with 10 liters at 30psi, given:
* Inside diameter of rubber tire 15" = ~40 cm = 4 dm
* Outside diameter of rubber tire 21" = ~50 cm = 5 dm
* Width of steel wheel 6" = ~15 cm = 1.5 dm
* Pressure inside the rubber tire 30 psi
* Temperature 25° C

The volume inside the tire is the volume difference between two cylinders,
one representing the entire wheel/tire assembly and the other representing
just the wheel.

The volume of a cylinder is V = p × diameter × height where diameter is
twice the radius.

Note: For your particular tire and wheel assembly, you can use the Tire
Diameter and Circumference Calculator at:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

They used the numbers below:

For just the steel wheel, the volume p × (4 dm ¸ 2)2 × 1.5 dm = 19 cubic
decimeters (i.e., 19 liters).

For just the rubber tire assembly, the total volume p × (5 dm ¸ 2)2 × 1.5
dm = 29 cubic decimeters (i.e., 29 liters).

The volume difference is just 10 liters (which means that the air in the
tire will mass about 26 grams).

Another volume calculation is he
http://www.irday.com/html/Automotive...0413/9827.html
Those guys came up with 30 liters for an average truck tire.

This volume calculation puts a car tire at 1 to 2 cubic feet of air:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ar104.htm

BTW, what happens to the mass if we use a different gas than air, like
carbon dioxide?

Kat Rabun April 9th 10 04:36 PM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:34:56 -0700, LM wrote:

Note: For your particular tire and wheel assembly, you can use the Tire
Diameter and Circumference Calculator at:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

This tire volume calculator works better:
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syn...calculator.htm