Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Church hinge follow up

Turns out, it's the door closer that is groaning. Sigh.
After all that work.

Well, it's all good. I got some really nifty ideas of how to
deal with squeaky hinges. And a few wiseacres, who reallly
brought smiles to my face. Most of you are great people,
with good ieas, and a sense of humor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 8:36*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Turns out, it's the door closer that is groaning. Sigh.
After all that work.

Well, it's all good. I got some really nifty ideas of how to
deal with squeaky hinges. And a few wiseacres, who reallly
brought smiles to my face. Most of you are great people,
with good ieas, and a sense of humor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Was it the closer piston or the hinges on the closer itself that was
the problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:36*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Turns out, it's the door closer that is groaning. Sigh.
After all that work.

Well, it's all good. I got some really nifty ideas of how to
deal with squeaky hinges. And a few wiseacres, who reallly
brought smiles to my face. Most of you are great people,
with good ieas, and a sense of humor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

So you have to replace the door closer then...

I have heard some loud ones on exterior doors that my
superiors at the time wouldn't let me replace until they
started to leak oil...

~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd several times oiled the external pivots and hinges. So,
it was something in the hydraulic closer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

Was it the closer piston or the hinges on the closer itself
that was
the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that is true. I sense that with the church's reduced
budget for the Facilities Management group, that they will
do exactly that. Ignore it, until it's either uncontrollably
slamming, or leaking oil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

So you have to replace the door closer then...

I have heard some loud ones on exterior doors that my
superiors at the time wouldn't let me replace until they
started to leak oil...

~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message

So you have to replace the door closer then...

I have heard some loud ones on exterior doors that my
superiors at the time wouldn't let me replace until they
started to leak oil...

~ Evan

It sounds like they might be willing to cough up some
cash to fix this one though since the offending door
closer is near the main worship space and makes
noise every time someone opens the door...

It would be an investment in not having everyone in the
room be aware that someone has gotten up to use
the bathroom during services...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

For good or bad, the hydraulic closer that groans is far
removed from the chapel. But, it's a good thought.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

It sounds like they might be willing to cough up some
cash to fix this one though since the offending door
closer is near the main worship space and makes
noise every time someone opens the door...

It would be an investment in not having everyone in the
room be aware that someone has gotten up to use
the bathroom during services...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Due to fire codes, all the doors in the building have door
closers. As you can imagne, there are a lot of rubber door
wedges, that get used. If I'm locking up at night, I like to
knock all the wedges out, and leave the doors closed. I
figure the 45 minute fire ratng is zero, with the door
wedged open.

I havn't given it a lot of thought, as to which doors get
used the most. There are 13 exterior door, and 2 womens
bathrooms. So, it's reasonable to figure that the womens
bathrooms get a bit of use. Two congregations, with probably
450 persons who attend in one session or other. I'd figure
250 or so persons each Sunday who use the womens room, if
you include boys under age of 3. So, the womens room door
gets plenty of use. About 200 males, age 2 and over, for the
mens room. Some men change their babies, so it's not all the
kids 3 and under in the womens.

However, those bathroom doors are likely to be high usage.

I'm with you, in that door closers need regular adjustment.
I showed a friend how to adjust the closers, and he really
enjoyed that new knowledge. We went through the entire
building, and did them all. About six months from now,
several will be slamming, again. I just did a quick count in
my head, and there are about 70 (seventy) door closers in
the building.

Did you refil them with fluid, or just adjust the allen
screws?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Years ago I did maintenance in a church. Door closers were
always
causing problems. It seems like they last a few years and
after that
they just become troublesome. I originally tried to fix
them but
found that they are just a pain in the ass to work on and it
seemed
that if I did get them working, the "fix" only lasted a few
months at
best. I tried to find a company that would rebuild the old
ones but
there was none. I finally convinced the church directors to
just
purchase a case of new ones. That way I had them on hand,
and could
replace them as soon as they became a problem. Plus we got
a better
price buying a whole case of them, rather than getting one
at a time.

The rarely used doors, such as the ones that went to storage
rooms
often got some of the older ones that still worked but were
a little
noisy or operated too slow. That saved a few bucks.

Before they ordered the case of new ones, they were paying
more for my
hourly wages to keep fixing (or trying to fix) those old
ones, which
is how I convinced them to buy new ones. Granted, I liked
the extra
hourly pay, but then I would get complaints when they quit
working
again. Plus they are a pain to work on. IF you only need
one or two,
just buy them. You'll waste more money trying to fix them,
and once
they are worn, you keep fixing them over and over and over
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I did attempt to refill a few of them, but if they already
leaked,
they would be replaced because of the mess. Most of the
time I just
adjusted them, but I also swapped parts from other old ones.
New
parts were not available.

CY: Right, leaking n ow is leaking later. Isn't that the
way. Buy the whole thing, and no parts available.

You must have a huge church. We probably had about 25 to
30 of them.

CY: yes, it's large.

The "main" outside doors and the restrooms were the ones
that were
breaking the most. Obviously because they got the most use.

CY: Sounds similar, to here.

In our
state they were required by code on entrance doors, and what
they
called "fire doors" inside the bldg. I never knew if the
restrooms
had them by code, or just because that's what the people
wanted. They
were just there when I got hired. But some rooms did not
have them.,
like some of the classrooms and offices. Yet, some storage
rooms did
have them and I never understood why.

CY: I don't know what the logic is.

The boiler room in the basement
was another one required by code and the church was cited
for that one
being broke once, after an inspection, so that one needed to
be
replaced immediately. I worked there 8 years, and during
that time we
used 9 or 10 from the case, which I believe came with 12.

CY: Sounds like you got your use out of them.

To make matters worse, when I was hired there, it seems
every one in
the building was a different brand and style and they all
mounted a
little differently. So replacing then required drilling new
holes,
filling the old ones, and a lot of other hassles.

CY: I did that a couple weeks ago. A company I do work for,
I got a call to replace a Norton door closer. So, they sent
me a US lock, though my local parts house sells Norton. As
you notice, none of the holes line up. I ended up on a step
stool, drilling four new holes through battleship armor
steel. For what? So they could save twenty bucks on the cost
of the closer?

It was nice to
eventually get most of them the same. I guess when they
built that
place they just added then as they went, and bought them all
over
town, rather than getting them all at once. That was
another reason
to buy a whole case of them. They all matched.

CY: I'm with you, they likely had them from here or there.
Or the various builders and handymen each had his own brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:46:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

At one time I worked on a lot of doors, mostly automatic but a great
many hydraulic spring loaded closers. There is a company that's been
around for a long time that rebuilds hydraulic closers and they do a
very good job. In case you're wondering:

http://www.nedoorcloser.com/index.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Those things probably contain silicone oil which is a real pain
to clean up. The closest thing I've found to it is silicone brake
fluid.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most closers are rip and replace. But, some of the older
ones. Would be nice to have them rebuilt. Thanks for the
link.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

£12.5K for a church George UK diy 16 April 5th 07 06:30 PM
Church Cliff Metalworking 1 April 9th 06 05:31 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:58 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:54 AM