Posted to alt.home.repair

Default door mechanism hole adapter plate thing :-)

I've got a door with a hole of around 2-1/8" in diameter for the handle/
latch mechanism, but the handle/latch assembly I have seems designed for
a smaller hole, as the tabs which extend inwards from the back side of
the handles (intended to keep the handles centered vertically) are only
around 1-3/4" apart.

The plates onto which the handles mount are more than wide enough to
cover the 2-1/8" hole; it's just the tabs that stick out from them that
aren't far enough apart for what I need.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so mega-quick diagram time:

http://www.patooie.com/temp/door.jpg

I'm sure I've bought handle/latch kits before that came with a little
adapter plate to fit doors such as I have with the larger hole, but this
particular one didn't (even though it was branded as a universal kit,
rather than "only fits doors with holes of blah blah blah...").

Questions:

1) Do these "adapter plates" have a proper name so I can google?

2) Can they be bought anywhere? (I didn't see them in HD the other day,
but haven't checked anywhere else yet as I'm not sure what to ask for)

If it comes to it, I can always make what I need here from a bit of metal
plate, but it'd be easier to just buy something if they're not expensive.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand of lock? It's probably not an issue. The knobs
are probably held up by the latch, and by squeezing the
door.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus