Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1.0 Hp vs. 3/4 Hp

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:09:05 -0600, Tony
wrote:

Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load
current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd be any advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

You really should be consulting the installation documentation of your
system. That is not as simple as just saying bigger is better.
The air handler and the condenser have to be matched.

Hmmm,
Not knowing anyting HVAC. I put in 3/4 Hp one as the manual states.
But curious duck wannna learn. Any pointers where to look? Getting
old guy has to exercise his brain, LOL!

As everyone said, replace with what the manufacturer says. It is an
engineered system.

You could run a larger HP motor at a higher RPM (which as others have
said is not necessarily a good idea). Running at a higher RPM requires
changing pulley size if belt driven. Not easy for direct drive.

The motor might run very slightly faster because it is not loaded as
near to its rated HP. That would slightly raise the current and
electrical power used. It should run cooler. I believe it runs more
inefficiently, with increased losses. I believe efficiency is the major
reason not to increase the HP. Starting current would be higher, which
existing equipment might not like. But it should be up to speed faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, you put in whatever was there before. If you took
out 3/4, that's probably because the manufacturer thought
that was the right size.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full
load
current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd be any
advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load
current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd be any advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

You really should be consulting the installation documentation of your
system. That is not as simple as just saying bigger is better.
The air handler and the condenser have to be matched.

Hmmm,
Not knowing anyting HVAC. I put in 3/4 Hp one as the manual states.
But curious duck wannna learn. Any pointers where to look? Getting
old guy has to exercise his brain, LOL!

The HP depends on the size of the fan blades/cfm the blower has to move. If
the HP is too much it will only draw more current and cost more to run if
the relay and wiring will handle the larger current.
If the HP is too small for the blower fan, it will overload the motor, it
will slow down and burn out and not move enough air. This could also lead
to a burnt out firebox if gas or oil and poor cooling for the
airconditioner.

Having recently put in a new heat pump, the docs also indicate that too
high an airflow will blow condensation off the coils, missing the drip
pan and making a big mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The current won't be significantly higher unless the fan is larger. It will
draw a little more and is a (small) waste, but it's not likely to bother the
wiring.

If the HP is too small for the blower fan, it will overload the motor, it
will slow down and burn out and not move enough air.

Yes.

This could also lead
to a burnt out firebox if gas or oil and poor cooling for the
airconditioner.

It *should* shut itself down if there is (dangerously) insufficient airflow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 6:09*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load
current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd be any advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

Did you replace with the same rating, I would not have changed for a
different rating without proper testing
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load
current draw. As an after thought I wonder if there'd be any advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

You really should be consulting the installation documentation of your
system. That is not as simple as just saying bigger is better.
The air handler and the condenser have to be matched.

Hmmm,
Not knowing anything HVAC. I put in 3/4 Hp one as the manual states.
But curious duck wannna learn. Any pointers where to look? Getting
old guy has to exercise his brain, LOL!

As everyone said, replace with what the manufacturer says. It is an
engineered system.

You could run a larger HP motor at a higher RPM (which as others have
said is not necessarily a good idea). Running at a higher RPM requires
changing pulley size if belt driven. Not easy for direct drive.

The motor might run very slightly faster because it is not loaded as
near to its rated HP. That would slightly raise the current and
electrical power used. It should run cooler. I believe it runs more
inefficiently, with increased losses. I believe efficiency is the major
reason not to increase the HP. Starting current would be higher, which
existing equipment might not like. But it should be up to speed faster.- Hide quoted text -

No heating air conditioning experience but could it be rather like
dropping a V8 motor into a six cylinder vehicle and then finding out
that the gear ratio is wrong and due to increased HP the next size
universals and/or rear end ratio should be changed!
There must presumably be a proper balance between speeds, the load of
air to be moved etc. and arbitrarily changing one factor might need
some other adjustments? Could also be like trying to use a large pair
of kitchen shears to cut ones fingernails; or a using a chainsaw to
try and cut plywood panelling?
Reminds one of friend who, years ago, put in a 'waaay too large' an
oil fired air heating furnace. He got it at a bargain! It ran so
infrequently, even in very cold weather, that it was highly
inefficient; finally replacing it many years later, with electric
heating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load
current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd be any advantage
choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit is 3.5ton.
TIA for any experienced comments.

You really should be consulting the installation documentation of your
system. That is not as simple as just saying bigger is better.
The air handler and the condenser have to be matched.

Hmmm,
Not knowing anyting HVAC. I put in 3/4 Hp one as the manual states.
But curious duck wannna learn. Any pointers where to look? Getting
old guy has to exercise his brain, LOL!

So long as the motor is not exceeding it's rated current (Amps)
depicted on the nameplate, there is no need to worry. There is no
point in putting in an oversized motor. So, if you're worried, you
need to borrow a meter that can read amps & check it out. But if it
was 3/4 HP before, it's gonna be 3/4HP again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 10:12*am, terry wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:52*pm, bud-- wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's similar, but you're not changing the gear ratios. You have a
larger "motor", but are not asking it to deliver more power. The
speed of an AC (induction) motor is more or less determined by the
line frequency. A motor with a higher HP rating will turn the same
blower at the same speed (give or take a little).

There must presumably be a proper balance between speeds, the load of
air to be moved etc. and arbitrarily changing one factor might need
some other adjustments? Could also be like trying to use a large pair
of kitchen shears to cut ones fingernails; or a using a chainsaw to
try and cut plywood panelling?

Reminds one of friend who, years ago, *put in a 'waaay too large' an
oil fired air heating furnace. He got it at a bargain! It ran so
infrequently, even in very cold weather, that it was highly
inefficient; finally replacing it many years later, with electric
heating.

Talking about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Tony Hwang typed:
Hi,
When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace
there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed
motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full
load current draw. As sn after thought I wonder if there'd
be any advantage choosing the 1.0 Hp one. BTW, our a/c unit
is 3.5ton. TIA for any experienced comments.

What's the old motor? Copy it, unless there are reasons not
to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Original motor spec. is 3/4, 2/1, 1/3 Hp, 3 speed of which first two
speed are used high speed for cooling and medium for heating.
The 1.0 Hp motor had 1.0, 3/4, 1/2, 1/3 Hp 4 speed. My thought was
with this motor I could have more options. Also this motor had ball
bearings vs sleeve bearings. I understand ball baerings last longer.
Any how furnace is back up and running again. Next is time to replace it
when breaks again. Price difference was like ~40.00
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
harry wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If the 3/4 HP motor is large enough you don't need the extra power. Then
the comparison is the different motor speeds. I would be cautious
changing RPMs from the manufacturer options.

Also this motor had ball
bearings vs sleeve bearings. I understand ball baerings last longer.
Any how furnace is back up and running again.

Sounds reasonable.

Some motors are more efficient than others. Electric cost can swamp out
value of different lifetime and cost of a higher efficiency motor.

Next is time to replace it
when breaks again. Price difference was like ~40.00

I believe, other things being equal, the 3/4 HP motor run near its
rating is more efficient than a 1HP motor run below its rating.