DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moving a camper trailer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/299793-moving-camper-trailer.html)

Oren[_2_] March 15th 10 10:39 PM

Moving a camper trailer

... with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Tony[_19_] March 16th 10 01:45 PM

Moving a camper trailer

Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Awesome!

Not anything like that, but I often wondered what it would be like to
have a hitch on the front bumper, just for parking or getting out of
tight spaces?

Pete C. March 16th 10 03:52 PM

Moving a camper trailer

Tony wrote:

Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Awesome!

Not anything like that, but I often wondered what it would be like to
have a hitch on the front bumper, just for parking or getting out of
tight spaces?

Front hitches are very common and useful for pushing a trailer into a
tight space.

LdB March 16th 10 04:08 PM

Moving a camper trailer

On 3/15/2010 5:39 PM, Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

The video was recorded in 1974. I remember seeing fifth wheel camper
trailer ads from back then with hitches mounted on car roofs. As I
recall they were the same size as the big fifth wheels of today that
are being towed around with trucks.

Roof towing with cars was short lived. There must have been some
serious issues with safety. Bet the lawyers had a field day with them.

You would need one big roll cage built into the cars passenger
compartment to support the hitch. Too bad, it was a good idea. If
nothing else they would have made some good action movie footage.

LdB

Jon Danniken[_2_] March 16th 10 08:38 PM

Moving a camper trailer

Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Wow, that's pretty darned cool!

I must admit I an nostalgic for the days before the outdoorsman's "arms
race" of campers and big trucks/SUVs.

Jon

Tony Hwang March 17th 10 06:12 AM

Moving a camper trailer

Tony wrote:
Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Awesome!

Not anything like that, but I often wondered what it would be like to
have a hitch on the front bumper, just for parking or getting out of
tight spaces?

Hi,
That trailer must be made of card boards.

Oren[_2_] March 17th 10 06:40 AM

Moving a camper trailer

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:12:55 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Tony wrote:
Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

Awesome!

Not anything like that, but I often wondered what it would be like to
have a hitch on the front bumper, just for parking or getting out of
tight spaces?

Hi,
That trailer must be made of card boards.

I disagree. Watching, when moving forward, the front shocks change
positions. You can see the VW squat-down in the rear under a load of
those days. Not likely with card board.

[email protected] March 17th 10 09:26 AM

Moving a camper trailer

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:08:12 -0500, LdB wrote:

On 3/15/2010 5:39 PM, Oren wrote:
.. with 360° maneuverability

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4...ure=popt02us05

The video was recorded in 1974. I remember seeing fifth wheel camper
trailer ads from back then with hitches mounted on car roofs. As I
recall they were the same size as the big fifth wheels of today that
are being towed around with trucks.

Roof towing with cars was short lived. There must have been some
serious issues with safety. Bet the lawyers had a field day with them.

You would need one big roll cage built into the cars passenger
compartment to support the hitch. Too bad, it was a good idea. If
nothing else they would have made some good action movie footage.

LdB

I actually saw one at a RV show. It was different, I'll say that,
Never saw one again, on road or otherwise.

Duke

notbob March 17th 10 03:00 PM

Moving a camper trailer

On 2010-03-17, Oren wrote:

I disagree. Watching, when moving forward, the front shocks change
positions. You can see the VW squat-down in the rear under a load of
those days. Not likely with card board.

I noticed the same thing. Not real wild about that carrier top hitch,
also. A clever concept, but not terribly practical.

nb

DerbyDad03 March 17th 10 03:16 PM

Moving a camper trailer

On 2010-03-17, Oren wrote:

I disagree. Watching, when moving forward, the front shocks change
positions. *You can see the VW squat-down in the rear under a load of
those days. Not likely with card board.

I noticed the same thing. *Not real wild about that carrier top hitch,
also. *A clever concept, but not terribly practical.

nb

"but not terribly practical"

Just curious - Why do you say that?

It certainly seems practical when used as shown in the video - with
the right sized car, it sure seemed to perform as advertised.