Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which Paint Mixer?

I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

The best one I have in my collection is a wire kitchen whip with the handle
removed. Just insert into drill a whip away.

You have to be real careful when you go to pull it out or "specs are U".

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:57:11 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

Are you spinning it the right way? It looks like you could empty a
can with a bit too much speed on the drill. Are there directions
that say which way it should turn? My instinct would be to pull
the paint off the bottom of the can.

My latest is the "Warner Tool Co 10330 Hurricane Electric Drill Paint
Mixer" on the first page.

I like the "Goldblatt G15420 4-Inch Spiral Paint/Mud Mixer" for 5
gallon pails- and I've used it to mix mud on occasion. a bit of work
for my 1/2 drill-- but easier on the wrists than mixing by hand.

Sometimes I enjoy just mixing up a gallon with one of those flat
plastic paddles with the holes in them.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=202

Truth be told- you can probably do just as good a job with a piece of
hanger

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 1:57*pm, jim evans wrote:
I've had a couple of paint stirrers. *Neither seemed to work real
well. *Which design do you think works best. *Here are a collection
from Amazonhttp://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc*I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

For 1 gallon a stick, a mixer you have to clean, if you cant mix it by
hand you are not strong enough to paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 4:52*pm, ransley wrote:
On Mar 15, 1:57*pm, jim evans wrote:

I've had a couple of paint stirrers. *Neither seemed to work real
well. *Which design do you think works best. *Here are a collection
from Amazonhttp://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc*I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

For 1 gallon a stick, a mixer you have to clean, if you cant mix it by
hand you are not strong enough to paint.

I use a slitted CD on the end of a threaded rod I hapened to have
handy. Heated the cd to make it shaped like propeller blades, put it
betwen two washer and two nuts, mixed several gallons with it, then
threw it away (the cd, not the threaded rod) . will make another one
when I get the painting urge, or if my wife does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

The Red Devil is my favorite. You just have to be careful with it, and it
does make a mess. It is also hard to clean, and you must do it right after
use. Still have to power wash it occasionally. Really gets the 5 gal. cans
moving, though.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:46:10 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
.. .
I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

The Red Devil is my favorite. You just have to be careful with it, and it
does make a mess. It is also hard to clean, and you must do it right after
use. Still have to power wash it occasionally. Really gets the 5 gal. cans
moving, though.

I see 3 Red Devils there--- ones a squirrel cage, another looks like
a fan and then there's the 'paint & mud mixer'

I'm a fan of the 'paint & mud' job, but haven't used the other 2-
which one do you like?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

For 1 gallon a stick, a mixer you have to clean, if you cant mix it by
hand you are not strong enough to paint.

You've obviously never tried to mix a 20 year old can of oil based paint,
but don't let reality get in the way of your sniping.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:46:10 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have two of the squirrel cage ones. I couldn't find one, so I got
another............ They are great on 5 gallon buckets, but the OP asked
specifically on 1 gal. cans. I have used them on one gallon cans, but you
just have to be careful.

Steve B, the real one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote:

I've had a couple of paint stirrers. Neither seemed to work real
well. Which design do you think works best. Here are a collection
from Amazon http://tinyurl.com/yjqqalc I'm only interested in the
one-gallon size.

The "Turbine Paint Mixer" (top of page 2) is my latest one and it
seems to work better than my earlier one, but when I run it near the
bottom of the can I never see the surface of the paint move.

I like the Home Depot version of the Hyde Mfg. 43420.