DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   About recalls for runaway cars. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/299650-about-recalls-runaway-cars.html)

willshak March 12th 10 02:45 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not
stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all
standard shift cars).
There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company
that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Jim Yanik March 12th 10 04:25 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

willshak wrote in
m:

When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not
stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all
standard shift cars).
There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company
that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.

IMO,if only manual transmissions were allowed(except for handicapped),then
there would be a lot fewer morons on the roads.

No left-foot brakers,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

willshak March 12th 10 04:42 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not
stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all
standard shift cars).
There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company
that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.

IMO,if only manual transmissions were allowed(except for handicapped),then
there would be a lot fewer morons on the roads.

No left-foot brakers,either.

Everyone should have to take a class before they can drive a 4 wheel
drive vehicle.
Maybe that will cut down on the number of 4 wheel drive vehicles that
pass you at high speeds on snow covered roads as you struggle to keep
going, and then you pass them as they lie off the side of the road with
various sides of the vehicle showing.
Just because they can go faster in inclement weather, they don't steer
or brake any better than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

terry March 12th 10 05:20 PM

On Mar 12, 1:42*pm, willshak wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote the following:

willshak wrote in
om:

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

An experienced and locally well known police officer on highway patrol
was regularly contacted by the host of one of our morning shows for a
road report, traffic/weather conditions etc. .....

On one occasion, after providing comments, the officer was asked "And
where will you be heading now?".

His reply was a classic, "I think I'll head back towards the city and
see how many SUVs have gone off the road!".

No other comment needed!

Stormin Mormon March 12th 10 08:35 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

Sadly, I'm qualified. Having killed the front gearbox on my
first 4WD, in total ignorance. The two times I spun out and
went into the ditch. One was going uphill in what I thought
was 4wd. Someone flew past me, and so I said "Oh, I can go
faster". touched the gas, and spun out.

Second moment, on my second 4wd vehicle. but I was in 2wd.
Same deal. Going slowly uphill on icy road. Someone flew
past me and I said ..... touched the gas, and spun out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

Stormin Mormon March 13th 10 01:53 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

I've snapped a clutch cable at least twice that I can
remember. Managed to get home by starting the car in
neutral. Push the car till it's barely rolling. Cram the
shift into first, and put the flashers on. Get up around 10
MPH, and shift to second. It's not fun, but it beats
walking.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 14th 10 03:56 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

Jim Yanik wrote:

No left-foot brakers,either.

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it all my
driving career, at least with automatics. It has the advantage of allowing you
to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you might need to break.

By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction time.
There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a foot rest and
puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving.

No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. I use right foot braking then.
Don't even think about it.

-- Doug

Johnie Kanuc March 14th 10 04:18 PM

On 3/12/10 5:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've snapped a clutch cable at least twice that I can
remember. Managed to get home by starting the car in
neutral. Push the car till it's barely rolling. Cram the
shift into first, and put the flashers on. Get up around 10
MPH, and shift to second. It's not fun, but it beats
walking.

I was riding in my brothers Datsun 510 and his gearbox got stuck in 4th.
I probably push the car rolling and jumped in around 50 times as we
limped it to a family friend's garage 25km away. If I remember correctly
it was just a faulty pin. Such an easy fix it didn't even cost him for
the repair. But that is the reason we took it to the family friend.

I can't tell you how many times he just told us what the problem was and
told us to fix it our selves. One time pulled error code from the
computer walked into his shop, came out carrying a coil pack (obviously
salvaged). As he handed it to me he said swap out the first coil pack,
if that does not fix it replace the next one, and walked back into the
shop.

Roy March 14th 10 05:02 PM

On Mar 12, 8:45*am, willshak wrote:
When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not
stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all
standard shift cars).
There were no recalls, either from the car manufacturer, or the company
that made the beer cans that rolled under the pedals.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

==
Well, I suppose that if you tromped hard enough you could crush the
beer cans enough that you could gain control. We only had beer bottles
at that time and THEY were a problem. Been there, done that.

==

[email protected] March 14th 10 05:09 PM

On Mar 14, 11:56*am, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
No left-foot brakers,either.

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it all my
driving career, at least with automatics. *It has the advantage of allowing you
to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you might need to break..

By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction time.
There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a foot rest and
puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving. *

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake. I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Harry K March 14th 10 05:27 PM

On Mar 14, 8:56*am, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
No left-foot brakers,either.

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it all my
driving career, at least with automatics. *It has the advantage of allowing you
to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you might need to break..

By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction time.
There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a foot rest and
puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving. *

No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. *I use right foot braking then.
Don't even think about it.

-- Doug

I defy you to drive with your left foot "above" the brake pedal for
more than a minute or so. Whether you believe it or not, you _will_
be resting your foot _on_ the pedal.

Whether you do it hard enough to light the brake lights...

Harry K

HerHusband March 14th 10 06:00 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

I've snapped a clutch cable at least twice that I can
remember. Managed to get home by starting the car in
neutral. Push the car till it's barely rolling. Cram the
shift into first, and put the flashers on. Get up around 10
MPH, and shift to second. It's not fun, but it beats
walking.

I've had a couple of clutch cables break over the years also in my 1976 VW
Rabbit. I just put it in first gear and crank the starter. As long as the
battery is charged up and the engine runs well it'll move the car and start
the engine at the same time. Once you get up to speed just back off the
accelerator and gently slip it into second. Repeat for third and fourth
gears. It's not very workable for in-town driving, but if you're out on the
highway a long way from home it sure beats calling for a tow (especially
before we had cell phones to call someone).

I had an accelerator cable break once too. I just grabbed a screwdriver
from the glovebox and cranked up the idle speed on the carburetor. It was
slow going, but sure beat walking.

I've even had the accelerator get stuck on a couple of occasions. No biggy
with a manual, you just push in the clutch and coast off to the shoulder.
Or, put it in neutral and coast to a stop. Even with an automatic you
should be able to turn off the ignition and coast (just not so far to lock
the steering).

Battery dead, no problem. Just push the car to get it rolling, and let the
clutch out to push start it.

Anthony

Jim Yanik March 14th 10 08:46 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

Douglas Johnson wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

No left-foot brakers,either.

There's nothing basically wrong with left foot braking, I've done it
all my driving career, at least with automatics. It has the advantage
of allowing you to "cover" the brake pedal in circumstances where you
might need to break.

many LFBs unknowingly ride their brakes,causing others behind them to put
on their brakes,and screwing up traffic flow.

By putting your left foot *above* the brake pedal, you reduce reaction
time. There is a problem when someone confuses the brake pedal with a
foot rest and puts their foot *on* the brake pedal while driving.

a FREQUENT problem.

No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. I use right foot
braking then. Don't even think about it.

-- Doug

YOU don't,but not everybody is the same as you.

sorry,but it's a BAD habit. Leave it on the racetrack.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 14th 10 11:13 PM

wrote:

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

-- Doug

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 14th 10 11:15 PM

Harry K wrote:

I defy you to drive with your left foot "above" the brake pedal for
more than a minute or so.

I usually just cover for a few seconds while resolving the situation by other
means. Like slowing down, or changing lanes to avoid the problem. -- Doug

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 14th 10 11:18 PM

Jim Yanik wrote:

many LFBs unknowingly ride their brakes,causing others behind them to put
on their brakes,and screwing up traffic flow.

Yep.

YOU don't,but not everybody is the same as you.

sorry,but it's a BAD habit. Leave it on the racetrack.

If you avoid the problems we've discussed, why is it a bad habit? I was taught
it in my original driver's ed course and later in my high performance street
driving training for emergency vehicles.

-- Doug

[email protected] March 14th 10 11:26 PM

About recalls for runaway cars.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:13:12 -0500, Douglas Johnson

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 15th 10 12:27 AM

wrote:

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

I mean, it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be, but I
have always left foot braked automatics. I've taken a number of driving tests
(including a Class A license) and never had a problem with it. It seems to me
that left foot braking greatly reduces the chances of pressing on the gas when
you think you are pressing on the brake, a possible cause of some of the
acceleration problems.

On the other hand, the New Jersey Driver Manual
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Licenses/D.../Chapter_3.pdf
says:
"A motorist should always use his/her right foot for both the brake and the gas
pedal"
-- Doug

[email protected] March 15th 10 01:09 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

wrote:

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing would
surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm and a left foot
on the brake was definitely a no-no.

I mean, it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be, but I
have always left foot braked automatics. I've taken a number of driving tests
(including a Class A license) and never had a problem with it. It seems to me
that left foot braking greatly reduces the chances of pressing on the gas when
you think you are pressing on the brake, a possible cause of some of the
acceleration problems.

It greatly increases the chance that you'll stomp on both.

On the other hand, the New Jersey Driver Manual
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Licenses/D.../Chapter_3.pdf
says:
"A motorist should always use his/her right foot for both the brake and the gas
pedal"

Absolutely.

Oren[_2_] March 15th 10 01:31 AM

wrote:

"A motorist should always use his/her right foot for both the brake and the gas
pedal"

The one exception is if you drive in NASCAR races. Drive fast, turn
left and burn the brakes up. LFB

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 15th 10 01:41 AM

wrote:

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing would
surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm and a left foot
on the brake was definitely a no-no.

Really? You tried them all? Berkley High in 1966? The cars we learned on had
automatics. I actually didn't learn to drive a manual until college.

Seriously, I remember being taught left foot braking in driver's ed and I've
done it all my life. I don't know where I would have learned it otherwise. But
it will take more than a statement like that to invalidate my memory. We may
have to decide we can't convince each other.
-- Doug

Jim Yanik March 15th 10 01:44 AM

Jim Yanik wrote:

many LFBs unknowingly ride their brakes,causing others behind them to
put on their brakes,and screwing up traffic flow.

Yep.

YOU don't,but not everybody is the same as you.

sorry,but it's a BAD habit. Leave it on the racetrack.

If you avoid the problems we've discussed, why is it a bad habit?

IF..... the problem is that people DONT avoid them.
also,under stress,people revert back to learned
habits(y'know;practice,practice,practice),and you have not established ONE
braking habit,but two,that HAS to be chosen,which is NOT a reflex.

was taught it in my original driver's ed course and later in my high
performance street driving training for emergency vehicles.

-- Doug

How do you KNOW -you- aren't riding the brake?

I've never heard of driver's ed teaching left-foot braking.
That would be very confusing for an inexperienced driver,in addition to all
the other new stuff they have to learn.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik March 15th 10 01:45 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

" wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:13:12 -0500, Douglas Johnson

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering
above the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the
gas, then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow
down and allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means
that right foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in
NJ they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with
an automatic.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in
Michigan in the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Me either.
I took driver's ed in the late '60s(NY) and they never taught that
nonsense.
It would be far too confusing for an inexperienced newbie.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik March 15th 10 01:47 AM

wrote:

[...]

Because you want to develop the HABIT of right foot braking as you would on
a stick shift car,so you do the same thing all the time,developing a REFLEX
that you naturally revert to in an emergency,no matter which type you're
driving,no thought needed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

[email protected] March 15th 10 02:15 AM

wrote:

[...]

I was failed for using my left foot on my driver's test because the
car had a tendancy to stall occaisionally coming to a stop - 1968
Rebel. When I explained why I did it they said fix the car.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] March 15th 10 02:33 AM

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:13:12 -0500, Douglas Johnson

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in
Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Judging by this 1964 article, it may well have been true. I do recall
discussions about it but we did not have driver's ed in school so I don't
know what our state did back then. This is also backed up by the last cite
below.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...897172,00.html
Some states encourage left-foot braking (among them, South Dakota and
Michigan); some disqualify or penalize any license applicant who does it
(Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Utah). Most states have no policy at all. And
there is, in fact, something to be said for both sides-or both feet.

Read mo
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz0iCxEpefI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

Road use
Many commentators advise against the use of left-foot braking while driving
on public roads.[7][8]

However, some commentators do recommend left-foot braking as routine
practice when driving vehicles fitted with an automatic transmission, when
maneuvering at low speeds.[9]

Proponents of the technique note that in low-speed maneuvers, a driver of a
vehicle with a manual transmission will usually keep a foot poised over the
clutch pedal, ready to disengage power when the vehicle nears an obstacle.
This means that disengagement is also possible in the event of malfunction
such as an engine surge. However, the absence of a clutch on a vehicle with
automatic transmission means that there is no such safety override, unless
the driver has a foot poised over the brake pedal.[9]

Critics of the technique suggest that it can cause confusion when switching
to or from a vehicle with a manual transmission,[7] and that it is difficult
to achieve the necessary sensitivity to brake smoothly when your left foot
is used to operating a clutch pedal.[8]

http://www.scottgood.com/jsg/blog.ns...ks/SGOD-6NY25Y
Hello Scott, I am a retired Driving Instructor. I am almost 70 and took to
Left Foot Braking about 15 years ago. Taught few students LFB including my
two children. I believe if we can convince Insurance companies that they
will save very big by way of claims that might have a great impact. Trying
to talk to Driving Schools is something I have not had any luck with. How do
we (You and I) go about it. I am very passionate about this.
Regards
Enver Khorasanee

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...ters29.article
Q. I'm 79 years old and took driving lessons in 1950, when my instructor
told me to use my left foot to brake and right foot to accelerate. I also
was told to pump the brake pedal four or five times before stopping on
slippery roads to assure the best braking. My driving record is excellent.
But during a recent driver's license test, I was told to use my right foot
for both braking and accelerating. There is nothing in the Illinois Rules of
the Road book that says a driver must brake with the right foot, is
there? --P.B., Chicago

A. If accustomed to braking with your left foot after more than 50 years,
keep using it for braking.

Nonny March 15th 10 02:50 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

FWIW, I began driving a tractor (clutch) at 10 and cars at 12.
That was in the 50's. I learned to use my left foot for the
clutch and right for brake and throttle. In the 80's, I taught my
kids the same thing-first on a John Deere and then a car. IMHO,
there is no reason, and is a cause for possible harm, to teach a
person to do otherwise. Sure, the Driver Ed-mobiles and many cars
now have autos, but what good does it to to teach a reaction to
kids that could get them killed when they move up to a manual
transmission eventually?

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

Doug Miller March 15th 10 03:13 AM

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:

Because you want to develop the HABIT of right foot braking as you would on
a stick shift car,so you do the same thing all the time,developing a REFLEX
that you naturally revert to in an emergency,no matter which type you're
driving,no thought needed.

My father has used his left foot for the brake for as long as I can remember.
He's driven automatics for about the last sixty years. He told me that he used
to wonder if he'd be as quick getting onto the pedal with his left foot as
with his right -- then one day, years ago, somebody pulled out in front of him
on US 31; he said after he got the car stopped, he realized he had *both* feet
on the brake.

[email protected] March 15th 10 04:31 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

wrote:

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing would
surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm and a left foot
on the brake was definitely a no-no.

Really? You tried them all? Berkley High in 1966? The cars we learned on had
automatics. I actually didn't learn to drive a manual until college.

Yes. NO ONE was teaching students to use the left foot for the brake. NO
ONE.

Seriously, I remember being taught left foot braking in driver's ed and I've
done it all my life. I don't know where I would have learned it otherwise. But
it will take more than a statement like that to invalidate my memory. We may
have to decide we can't convince each other.

You're dangerous. That's obvious to everyone.

Harry K March 15th 10 06:53 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

On Mar 14, 4:26*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:13:12 -0500, Douglas Johnson

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. * Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. *I will often cover while slowing down. *

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. *Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Amazing. *Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.- Hide quoted text -

I don't either but do vaguely recall discussions in the driving
oriented magazines about it back then. Most of them were in the sport
and racing mags though.

Harry K

Harry K March 15th 10 06:57 AM

Read mohttp://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...,00.html#ixzz0...

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...3973,CAR-News-...
Q. I'm 79 years old and took driving lessons in 1950, when my instructor
told me to use my left foot to brake and right foot to accelerate. I also
was told to pump the brake pedal four or five times before stopping on
slippery roads to assure the best braking. My driving record is excellent..
But during a recent driver's license test, I was told to use my right foot
for both braking and accelerating. There is nothing in the Illinois Rules of
the Road book that says a driver must brake with the right foot, is
there? --P.B., Chicago

A. If accustomed to braking with your left foot after more than 50 years,
keep using it for braking.- Hide quoted text -

Darn it. There you go ruining a discussion with those dreaded _facts_
again :)

Harry K

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 15th 10 01:53 PM

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...897172,00.html
Some states encourage left-foot braking (among them, South Dakota and
Michigan); some disqualify or penalize any license applicant who does it
(Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Utah). Most states have no policy at all. And
there is, in fact, something to be said for both sides-or both feet.

Thank you. I was in Michigan. -- Doug

Worn out Retread March 15th 10 01:57 PM

Jim Yanik wrote:

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake. I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Here in Ontario, if the driving examiner catches you breaking with the left
foot, you will fail here also.....improper use of controls.

No, I don't get confused when I drive manuals. I use right foot braking
then.
Don't even think about it.

-- Doug

No foot confusion here either.

Ron

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] March 15th 10 02:09 PM

On Mar 14, 7:13*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
wrote:
If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering above
the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the gas,
then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. * Simply slow down and
allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means that right
foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. *I will often cover while slowing down. *

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. *Here in NJ
they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with an
automatic.

Amazing. *Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in Michigan in
the mid-60's.

-- Doug

By the early 70s, when I took driver's ed in Michigan, they taught
right-foot
braking.

Cindy Hamilton

Jim Yanik March 15th 10 03:49 PM

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...897172,00.html
Some states encourage left-foot braking (among them, South Dakota and
Michigan); some disqualify or penalize any license applicant who does
it (Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Utah). Most states have no policy at
all. And there is, in fact, something to be said for both sides-or
both feet.

Thank you. I was in Michigan. -- Doug

using left foot for braking makes it possible for one to apply both brakes
and throttle at the same time.
In most cases,outside of the track,this is not good.

Besides,just because a state or states "encourages" something does not make
it right or proper. States are not any authority on driving techniques.
That "encouragement" could merely derive from some bureaucrat of the same
bent as you guys.

IMO,operating differently depending on what car you're using means you
aren't developing the reflex or habit that people revert to under
emergencies.Thus,you could,under pressure,use the wrong foot at a critical
time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Harry K March 15th 10 05:18 PM

On Mar 15, 8:49*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote :

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

Amen to that. I switch between a Ford 500 auto and an 89 F150 manual
everything and get confused on the cruis controls particulary and have
been known to try to get into gear in the f150 without using the
clutch.

Harry K

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 15th 10 06:23 PM

Jim Yanik wrote:

using left foot for braking makes it possible for one to apply both brakes
and throttle at the same time.
In most cases,outside of the track,this is not good.

Agreed. So don't do it.

Besides,just because a state or states "encourages" something does not make
it right or proper. States are not any authority on driving techniques.
That "encouragement" could merely derive from some bureaucrat of the same
bent as you guys.

By the same authority, it doesn't make it wrong. I was just using it to confirm
my memory that my Michigan driver's ed taught left foot braking.

IMO,operating differently depending on what car you're using means you
aren't developing the reflex or habit that people revert to under
emergencies.Thus,you could,under pressure,use the wrong foot at a critical
time.

This could be a problem, but hasn't for me. I own both automatics and manuals.
I move between them regularly. I brake with the appropriate foot without
thinking about it, even in an emergency. I've *never* screwed it up.

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of controversy this has stirred up. It's
clear I'm in the minority here and on the net. That's OK. In any case, I'm
done with this topic.

-- Doug

Bob F March 15th 10 10:43 PM

Douglas Johnson wrote:
wrote:

If you're driving an automatic and need your left foot hoovering
above the brake pedal to "cover" it, while your other foot is on the
gas, then I'd say you're doing something very wrong. Simply slow
down and allow more space so there is no need to cover, which means
that right foot should be off the gas and on the brake.

It's not an either-or choice. I will often cover while slowing down.

I can move my foot from
gas to brake in maybe a couple tenths of a second or less. Here in
NJ they will fail you for your driving test if you use two feet with
an automatic.

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed in
Michigan in the mid-60's.

Just the opposite for me. Same place and time.

Bob F March 15th 10 10:45 PM

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed
in Michigan in the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing
would surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm
and a left foot on the brake was definitely a no-no.

Not one manual transmission was available in my high school drivers ed class in
Michigan in the mid 60's.

[email protected] March 16th 10 02:03 AM

About recalls for runaway cars.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:45:21 -0700, "Bob F"

Amazing. Left foot braking was what I was taught in driver's ed
in Michigan in the mid-60's.

I don't believe you.

Do you have specific evidence to the contrary? I could be wrong.

Only that NO ONE was teaching such crap in the '60s (though nothing
would surprise me today). Manual transmissions were still the norm
and a left foot on the brake was definitely a no-no.

Not one manual transmission was available in my high school drivers ed class in
Michigan in the mid 60's.

Up here in Elmira Ontario 1968 was the first year you could take
Driver's Ed on an automatic in the highschool program. I learned on a
standard Pontiac.