DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What are those strange screws used for locks? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/299573-what-those-strange-screws-used-locks.html)

David Nebenzahl March 11th 10 03:12 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

Installing a lockset today (el cheapo Kwikset entry w/deadbolt), I
noticed they included two of those weird screws in the hardware package.
I worked out that they were intended to hold the passage lock strike to
the jamb.

They're regular flat-head wood screws, except that the threads just
under the head change from coarse to fine, almost like a machine screw.

Does anyone know the purpose, or the rationale of using these screws?
I've often seem them in lock installations, but nowhere else. Are those
fine threads supposed to grip the wood better?

D "puzzled" N

- a Usenet "apology"

mm March 11th 10 05:01 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:12:37 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Installing a lockset today (el cheapo Kwikset entry w/deadbolt), I
noticed they included two of those weird screws in the hardware package.
I worked out that they were intended to hold the passage lock strike to
the jamb.

They're regular flat-head wood screws, except that the threads just
under the head change from coarse to fine, almost like a machine screw.

Does anyone know the purpose, or the rationale of using these screws?
I've often seem them in lock installations, but nowhere else. Are those
fine threads supposed to grip the wood better?

They're finely spaced but not more shallow than the other threads,
right?

I haven't seen them but from your description, I think the screw is
meant to screw in quickly most of the way, and then slowly but with
more staying power for the last bit.

But does that really solve any problem. AFAIK, there is no risk of a
lock strick screw coming out head first. The problem, as when someone
kicked in my door the first summer I lived here, is that the wood
behind the jamb isn't thick enough sideways, or the screws aren't long
enough to spread the load when the door is kicked. The heads of my
strike screws didn't move to the side at all. but the door jamb
cracked, probably more than a half inch, and then sprang back all but
a quarter inch.

And when I got home, 8PM on a summer Sunday evening, the door was
ajar. But I never found anything missing, not the new car radio
still in the box on the basement workbench, not the fancy home burglar
alarm, still in boxes on the bedroom floor, and not even the cookies
on the kitchen table.

All I can imagine is that the dog next door, which I hated because its
barking woke me up in the morning and wouldn't let me get to sleep at
night, barked when he heard the noise and scared away the burglar. :)

D "puzzled" N

Evan[_3_] March 11th 10 07:42 AM

On Mar 10, 10:12*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Installing a lockset today (el cheapo Kwikset entry w/deadbolt), I
noticed they included two of those weird screws in the hardware package.
I worked out that they were intended to hold the passage lock strike to
the jamb.

They're regular flat-head wood screws, except that the threads just
under the head change from coarse to fine, almost like a machine screw.

Does anyone know the purpose, or the rationale of using these screws?
I've often seem them in lock installations, but nowhere else. Are those
fine threads supposed to grip the wood better?

D "puzzled" N

- a Usenet "apology"

Those are called combination machine-wood screws...

The lock manufacturer supplies them in the lock kit
so that you can install the strike plate included with
the lock with the same screws on both wood and
metal door frames... It saves the lock manufacturer
money by omitting inclusion of two pairs of screws
one of which would go unused and be discarded...

~~ Evan

mm March 11th 10 08:18 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:42:20 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

[...]

Oh.

I was wrong, and you're probably man enough to admit it.

~~ Evan

[email protected] March 11th 10 12:35 PM

wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, you had my head spinning trying to figure out how a small amount
of finer threads near the head could result in the screw going in
slower near the end. It would still have the other 80% of the
coarser threads deep in wood pulling it along too, no? I couldn't
figure out what they were for either, but the metal explanation sounds
logical.

Tony[_19_] March 11th 10 04:19 PM

Evan wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a correct answer. I've also wondered about those weird
screws.

Stormin Mormon March 11th 10 05:50 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

Some doors or jambs are already cut for 8-32 threads. With
the "hybrid" screws, one screw either does wood screw usage,
or goes into threaded metal doors, or metal jambs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.com...

Nonny March 11th 10 06:05 PM

"mm" wrote in message

And when I got home, 8PM on a summer Sunday evening, the door
was
ajar. But I never found anything missing, not the new car
radio
still in the box on the basement workbench, not the fancy home
burglar
alarm, still in boxes on the bedroom floor, and not even the
cookies
on the kitchen table.

All I can imagine is that the dog next door, which I hated
because its
barking woke me up in the morning and wouldn't let me get to
sleep at
night, barked when he heard the noise and scared away the
burglar. :)

D "puzzled" N

It's a very inexpensive and quick thing, but have you considered
removing the screws of your strike plate and replacing them with
3" ones that reach well through the casing and into the crip? On
some of my exterior doors, the strike plate for the deadbolt has
an inner reinforcing plate with long screws provided for just this
purpose. Once installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Harry K March 11th 10 06:16 PM

wrote:
[...]

logical.- Hide quoted text -

It is logical only if the fine thread portion is larger diameter than
the course thread part. I have never seen screws as described but I
_could_ open the new lockset I bought a month ago....nah, that would
only result in posting a fact, why screw up speculation? :)

Harry K

David Nebenzahl March 11th 10 06:39 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/11/2010 10:05 AM Nonny spake thus:

"mm" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not the one you asked, but in my installation there was no need for
such substitution. The lock kit came with extra-long screws to use to
secure the deadbolt strike. (No adjustable 2-piece strike in this case,
though.)

- a Usenet "apology"

David Nebenzahl March 11th 10 06:44 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/11/2010 10:16 AM Harry K spake thus:

wrote:

Those are called combination machine-wood screws...

The lock manufacturer supplies them in the lock kit so that you
can install the strike plate included with the lock with the
same screws on both wood and metal door frames... It saves the
lock manufacturer money by omitting inclusion of two pairs of
screws one of which would go unused and be discarded...

It is logical only if the fine thread portion is larger diameter than
the course thread part. I have never seen screws as described but I
_could_ open the new lockset I bought a month ago....nah, that would
only result in posting a fact, why screw up speculation? :)

The machine-threaded part of the screw appears to be exactly the same
root and overall diameter as the wood-screw part. hard to see how the
wood-screw threads wouldn't mess up the machine threads in the jamb.

You probably have these installed somewhere in your house.

- a Usenet "apology"

David Nebenzahl March 11th 10 07:05 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/10/2010 11:42 PM Evan spake thus:

[...]

That makes perfect sense.

So I think I'll go with my instincts next time and just throw those away
and replace them with regular wood screws. I don't think those machine
threads hold as well as wood threads would (in wood) (if a woodchuck
could ...)

- a Usenet "apology"

Tony[_19_] March 11th 10 07:45 PM

Nonny wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

And when I got home, 8PM on a summer Sunday evening, the door was
ajar. But I never found anything missing, not the new car radio
still in the box on the basement workbench, not the fancy home burglar
alarm, still in boxes on the bedroom floor, and not even the cookies
on the kitchen table.

All I can imagine is that the dog next door, which I hated because its
barking woke me up in the morning and wouldn't let me get to sleep at
night, barked when he heard the noise and scared away the burglar. :)

D "puzzled" N

It's a very inexpensive and quick thing, but have you considered
removing the screws of your strike plate and replacing them with 3" ones
that reach well through the casing and into the crip?

I've done that on a lot of my doors in the past. Also a few long screws
on the hinges.

On some of my
exterior doors, the strike plate for the deadbolt has an inner
reinforcing plate with long screws provided for just this purpose. Once
installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed on over top of it.

I've used long heavy duty strike plates that combine the latch and the
dead bolt holes into one piece. I've seen the wrap around piece of
sheetmetal for on the door to strengthen the latch and deadbolt but
never used one.

Stormin Mormon March 11th 10 07:55 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

I've used these in machine thread applications. Yes, I'd
also wonder that the wood screw threads would disturb the
machine threads. However, it's worked out and not been a
problem. The screws go in, and appear to engage the machine
threads properly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Roger Shoaf March 11th 10 08:15 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Installing a lockset today (el cheapo Kwikset entry w/deadbolt), I
noticed they included two of those weird screws in the hardware package.
I worked out that they were intended to hold the passage lock strike to
the jamb.

They're regular flat-head wood screws, except that the threads just
under the head change from coarse to fine, almost like a machine screw.

Does anyone know the purpose, or the rationale of using these screws?
I've often seem them in lock installations, but nowhere else. Are those
fine threads supposed to grip the wood better?

I am a locksmith and the purpose of the screws strange thread pattern is so
thy can be used as a wood screw or a machine screw. If I remember correctly
they will thread into an 8-32 tapped hole without buggering anything up.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

[email protected] March 11th 10 11:31 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:27 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should also shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the casing. ;-) It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

Oren[_2_] March 12th 10 12:58 AM

wrote:

Those are called combination machine-wood screws...

The lock manufacturer supplies them in the lock kit
so that you can install the strike plate included with
the lock with the same screws on both wood and
metal door frames... It saves the lock manufacturer
money by omitting inclusion of two pairs of screws
one of which would go unused and be discarded...

~~ Evan

The best answer.

A metal / glass window arched door, costing 6K, needed a lockset
installed and had the extra packet of screws.

Those 'funny' screws are intended for the metal door frame.

Trick is - don't strip the threads.

Nonny March 12th 10 03:47 AM

wrote in message
installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should also
shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the
casing. ;-) It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

.. . . or use common sense and an oversized pilot hole to prevent
racking. I never warped a casing when I drilled an oversized
"slip" hole for the screw and then didn't overtighten it.

Harry K March 12th 10 04:19 AM

*

[...]

Not in my house. I rehabbed a wreck and reinstalled every door in
it...about 30 years ago though.

Harry K

[email protected] March 12th 10 04:29 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:47:23 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should also
shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the
casing. ;-) It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

. . . or use common sense and an oversized pilot hole to prevent
racking. I never warped a casing when I drilled an oversized
"slip" hole for the screw and then didn't overtighten it.

As long as...

It's still stronger if shimmed. The screws won't bend as easily.

Nonny March 12th 10 06:13 AM

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:47:23 -0800, "Nonny"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should
also
shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the
casing. ;-) It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

. . . or use common sense and an oversized pilot hole to prevent
racking. I never warped a casing when I drilled an oversized
"slip" hole for the screw and then didn't overtighten it.

As long as...

It's still stronger if shimmed. The screws won't bend as
easily.

There's no argument there. The problem is how to shim an already
trimmed-out door casing. It's a big job getting the trim off to
insert shims. Perhaps the person could inject a filler to bridge
the space between casing and crip? IMHO, many of the trim guys
I've known shim BOTH sides of the casing when installing a door,
including the area by the strike plate for just this reason. YMMV

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

mm March 12th 10 06:23 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:27 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Yes. I put more wood in the jamb and screws at least 3 inches, and a
brass plates that wraps around the door by the locks to keep the door
from cracking when kicked, and I finished installing the burglar alarm
before I went to work again. It took a very long Monday (after the
door was kicked in on Sunday.)

I had almost finished installing the window and door switches and the
sirens for the burglar alarm, but I had to drill up from the basement
to where the alarm control panel went next to the front door.

mm March 12th 10 06:24 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:31:54 -0600, "
wrote:

It's a very inexpensive and quick thing, but have you considered
removing the screws of your strike plate and replacing them with
3" ones that reach well through the casing and into the crip? On
some of my exterior doors, the strike plate for the deadbolt has
an inner reinforcing plate with long screws provided for just this
purpose. Once installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should also shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the casing. ;-) It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

What do you mean by casing? I don't see how longer screws could screw
up anything if they are put in all the way.

Harry K March 12th 10 03:53 PM

wrote:

It's a very inexpensive and quick thing, but have you considered
removing the screws of your strike plate and replacing them with
3" ones that reach well through the casing and into the crip? *On
some of my exterior doors, the strike plate for the deadbolt has
an inner reinforcing plate with long screws provided for just this
purpose. *Once installed, the adjustable strike plate is screwed
on over top of it.

If you're going to use long screws for security, you should also shim between
the casing and the frame so the screws don't screw up the casing. *;-) *It'll
make the assembly stronger, too.

What do you mean by casing? *I don't see how longer screws could screw
up anything if they are put in all the way.

If there is no shimming behind the jamb where you are inserting the
screw, the screw will pull the jamb into the framing when it it
tightened...or at least try to pull it in. I'm trying to recall if I
shimmed behind the striker plates in all the doors I did way back when
but can't.

Harry K

Harry K March 12th 10 03:57 PM

On Mar 11, 10:23*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:05:27 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

on over top of it.- Hide quoted text -

Of course the best way to install a 'secure' door is make it open
_out_. That way the entire jamb has to give way vice some flimsy
'door stop' and striker plate area.

No people, there is no code that says doors have to open 'in'.
Opening out saves an amazing amount of space inside. Can be a problem
if youwant a storm door though.

Harry K

David Nebenzahl March 12th 10 06:35 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/12/2010 7:57 AM Harry K spake thus:

Of course the best way to install a 'secure' door is make it open
_out_. That way the entire jamb has to give way vice some flimsy
'door stop' and striker plate area.

No people, there is no code that says doors have to open 'in'.
Opening out saves an amazing amount of space inside. Can be a problem
if youwant a storm door though.

No, there's no code requirement against outswing doors. But perhaps
there oughta be.

The door I replaced that prompted this thread is an outswing door. Not
being an expert on door replacements, but willing to tackle a new task,
I checked with my contractor friend who's much more knowledgeable than I
about such matters. When I described the situation (door falling apart,
door frame rotting), he immediately told me that outswing exterior doors
are just a bad idea all around.

This particular one wasn't helped by the fact that it was installed
completely wrong and was destined to fail: the door jamb was installed
flush with the edge of the exterior stucco, with absolutely no trim at
all, so of course rain found its way in and started rotting things all
around. (Luckily I only had to replace completely rotted-out framing at
one place in a bottom corner.)

The new door is much better: I used stucco mold, so the door is at least
recessed a little but from the outer wall, with flashing installed under
the stucco. But it's still a problematic installation. Unfortunately
there wasn't room for an inswing door because of a step that was too close.

Also used a steel door instead of the old solid-core one with hardboard
panels. That sucker was so heavy I had to cut it into pieces to haul it
away.

- a Usenet "apology"

chaniarts March 12th 10 06:44 PM

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/12/2010 7:57 AM Harry K spake thus:

Of course the best way to install a 'secure' door is make it open
_out_. That way the entire jamb has to give way vice some flimsy
'door stop' and striker plate area.

No people, there is no code that says doors have to open 'in'.
Opening out saves an amazing amount of space inside. Can be a
problem if youwant a storm door though.

No, there's no code requirement against outswing doors. But perhaps
there oughta be.

doesn't the fire dept like to see exterior inswing doors for ease of access
in emergencies?

Tony[_19_] March 12th 10 11:53 PM

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Were I last lived in PA there definitely was a code that 2 exterior
doors had to open in. With a heavy snow and drifting it can become very
difficult to open a door that is snowed in. I suppose with a storm door
you can remove the glass and crawl out? Never quite understood that
situation.

Tony[_19_] March 12th 10 11:54 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:44:18 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/12/2010 7:57 AM Harry K spake thus:

Of course the best way to install a 'secure' door is make it open
_out_. That way the entire jamb has to give way vice some flimsy
'door stop' and striker plate area.

No people, there is no code that says doors have to open 'in'.
Opening out saves an amazing amount of space inside. Can be a
problem if youwant a storm door though.
No, there's no code requirement against outswing doors. But perhaps
there oughta be.

doesn't the fire dept like to see exterior inswing doors for ease of access
in emergencies?

They are also supposed to be better in a wind storm.

And a blizzard.

Tony[_19_] March 12th 10 11:58 PM

wrote:

[...]

My first exterior door installation, also my only one, the latch side of
the opening was so darn square that I just put it directly against the
framing and only shimmed on the hinge side. Seems to work well. Is
anything wrong with that approach?

Bud-- March 13th 10 02:57 AM

chaniarts wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/12/2010 7:57 AM Harry K spake thus:

Of course the best way to install a 'secure' door is make it open
_out_. That way the entire jamb has to give way vice some flimsy
'door stop' and striker plate area.

No people, there is no code that says doors have to open 'in'.
Opening out saves an amazing amount of space inside. Can be a
problem if youwant a storm door though.

No, there's no code requirement against outswing doors. But perhaps
there oughta be.

doesn't the fire dept like to see exterior inswing doors for ease of access
in emergencies?

Where the building can have a significant number of people in it, the
doors have to open out. Else in an emergency if people get to the door
before it is open they can pack and it is impossible to get out - has
happened many times. Also likely applies to interior doors in the path
of egress.

Harry K March 13th 10 03:35 AM

wrote:

[...]

anything wrong with that approach?- Hide quoted text -

No reason that I can think of.

Harry K

mm March 13th 10 07:02 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

wrote:

[...]

I see what casing means. Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't have done that. I
would have seen the problem in advance. As I recall there was
shimming in the door jamb but I added extra wood beyond jamb, the
shimming, and what the shim was against. I must have taken off the
door molding, but maybe I did something else too, since that wouldn't
have exposed much.

There have been two strings of burglaries at different times since
that summer, but amazingly they caught both of the thiefs. In one
case, he stole a check and they caught him when he tried to cash it.

In the other case, the police woudn't tell me all the details, but it
seems they figured out where he lived, staked out his place in the
morning, followed him here and waited while he broke in through the
back sliding glass door. Had a dog out front and a helicopter on
alert if he got away, but they just arrested him when he was ready to
leave. The homeowner was annoyed that they let him rummage through
his house, but this way they had an iron-clad case with almost no need
for anything other than police testimony.

I think they both went to jail, but it's been 20 years since one of
them. He must be out by now.

Harry K

Stormin Mormon March 13th 10 06:23 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

Like the theatre in Chicago, so many years ago. Inswinging
exit doors, not a good idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon March 13th 10 06:25 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

Those egress sure can be nasty. That makes them means of
egress. When they get out of their cage, they can walk along
the path of egress.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

David Nebenzahl March 13th 10 07:19 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/13/2010 10:25 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Those egress sure can be nasty. That makes them means of
egress. When they get out of their cage, they can walk along
the path of egress.

You must be referring to the trick of that old fraudster Barnum, who put
signs in his houses of amusement saying "This Way to the Egress!".

"Mommy, when are we gonna see the Egress?"

By the way, your posts are still screwed up (all quoted material is
below your sig). Any plans to fix that?

- a Usenet "apology"

Stormin Mormon March 14th 10 10:45 PM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

Yes, that's good old PT Barnum.

I've had my PC to the shop, and the posts are still screwed
up. Sorry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

David Nebenzahl March 15th 10 01:44 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On 3/14/2010 2:45 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Yes, that's good old PT Barnum.

I've had my PC to the shop, and the posts are still screwed
up. Sorry.

What does having your computer worked on have to do with the way your
posts are formatted? It's not a hardware problem, you know.

- a Usenet "apology"

Oren[_2_] March 15th 10 02:36 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:44:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 3/14/2010 2:45 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Yes, that's good old PT Barnum.

I've had my PC to the shop, and the posts are still screwed
up. Sorry.

What does having your computer worked on have to do with the way your
posts are formatted? It's not a hardware problem, you know.

A sample question on the net:

"When I do a reply OE automatically sets me up for top posting and
puts my signature under the double dash thing.

How can I tell it to set up for bottom posting? For that matter, how
can I tell it not to hide my signature under the double dash?"

Answer (s)

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...m-posting.aspx

You may have to water board Stormy...

Steve B[_4_] March 15th 10 05:09 AM

What are those strange screws used for locks?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 3/14/2010 2:45 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Yes, that's good old PT Barnum.

I've had my PC to the shop, and the posts are still screwed up. Sorry.

What does having your computer worked on have to do with the way your
posts are formatted? It's not a hardware problem, you know.

- a Usenet "apology"

Top posting has its disadvantages. Chris can't grasp the basics of snipping
and thread structure. I doubt he will comprehend anything about
electronics.

Prove me wrong, Chris.

Steve