DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why Do Auto Repair Shops ... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/299415-why-do-auto-repair-shops.html)

Way Back Jack[_2_] March 8th 10 04:35 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Jules Richardson March 8th 10 05:18 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 +0000, Way Back Jack wrote:
In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber gets
dry rot???

I've seen ones on old vehicles that have stood for years where the rubber
has gone dry and crumbly (same with things like door and window seals).
It actually seems to get things left in the shade more than the sun, so
maybe it's made worse by cold / moisture.

I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't
know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

cheers

Jules

AZ Nomad[_2_] March 8th 10 05:32 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) stayin@home wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the
northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on
anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like
fanbelts, hoses, etc.

Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with
anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never
had one offer to replace wipers.

AZ Nomad[_2_] March 8th 10 05:34 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 +0000, Way Back Jack wrote:
In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber gets
dry rot???

I've seen ones on old vehicles that have stood for years where the rubber
has gone dry and crumbly (same with things like door and window seals).
It actually seems to get things left in the shade more than the sun, so
maybe it's made worse by cold / moisture.

I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't
know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

The fix is replace it.
it's no different than replacing tires. Do you screw around with
caster oil when your tires are shot?

Colbyt March 8th 10 05:59 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Geez! According to him I am a little overdue with my OEM, 1996 Nissan, 150K
mile ones. If they did not work I guess I would.

Colbyt

Jim March 8th 10 06:13 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Geez! According to him I am a little overdue with my OEM, 1996 Nissan,
150K mile ones. If they did not work I guess I would.

Colbyt

Oh man can I relate to that!... I go for an oil change at the dealership
and they ask what the mileage is...I give it to them and they say "your
truck needs this, this, this and this" ...I say to the kid behind the
computer "My truck is sitting outside and your telling me what I need and
you haven't even looked at it" (he's going by the odometer reading of
vehicle and according to the computer all these very important issues need
to be done which I think a lot of it is a money grab) soooooooo after
SEVERAL twelve hundred dollar oil changes from that place I started going to
a 'jobber" place and get it done there.

hr(bob) [email protected] March 8th 10 06:32 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 8, 10:35*am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:
always want to replace wipers? *Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently. *

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. *Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Replace them when they don't work well, otherwise, develop deafness to
what is recommended. This isn't rocket science!!!!

notbob March 8th 10 06:35 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On 2010-03-08, Jim nospam@wherever wrote:

SEVERAL twelve hundred dollar oil changes....

Jaysus! ....did they ever see you coming. :\

nb

Jules Richardson March 8th 10 06:47 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:34:10 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:
I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't
know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

The fix is replace it.

Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking
vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that isn't
always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass through
my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good donor parts
handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.

I don't know if the rubber goes bad because it just dries - or if there's
a deteriation due to chemical reaction at work, so the oil just gives the
appearance of a fix.

I don't know if it affects *modern* parts, either - or if the problem's
irrelevant these days, but garages still use it as a way of boosting
sales.

it's no different than replacing tires. Do you screw around with caster
oil when your tires are shot?

Caster oil is what you use when your casters are seized and you want to
move a vehicle with shot tires ;-)

cheers

Jules

Jon Danniken[_2_] March 8th 10 06:59 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Way Back Jack wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Mine get replaced once per year, in the Fall. I replace them myself, as is
I perform all of my vehicle maintenance myself.

I replace them because after a year, they are noticeably less effective at
clearing my windshield.

My life is worth more than the cost of a yearly replacement of wiper blades.

Jon

AZ Nomad[_2_] March 8th 10 07:12 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:47:55 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:34:10 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:
I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't
know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

The fix is replace it.

Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking
vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that isn't
always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass through
my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good donor parts
handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.

I think you can buy the rubber separately. Don't know how hard it
would be to make it fit.

**** it. Take a modern blade and tie wrap it to the old arm. Maybe a
little duct tape.

[email protected] March 8th 10 07:41 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 8, 11:35*am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:
always want to replace wipers? *Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

When they charge $19.99 per wiper for 2 minutes of work, and you can
two replacements at walmart for $10, yeah, there's a really good
profit margin.

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently. *

Wiper manufacturers recommend every 90 days. In my experience wipers
last 6-9 months.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. *Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

The rubber does lose flexibility over time. If left long enough, yeah
it will dry rot.

[email protected] March 8th 10 08:09 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Yes, they do age. Them may not totally fail but older blades
don't clear the window properly.

Jules Richardson March 8th 10 09:42 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:12:20 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:
Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking
vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that
isn't always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass
through my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good
donor parts handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.

I think you can buy the rubber separately. Don't know how hard it would
be to make it fit.

Yeah, to be honest I suspect you're right for wipers. In fact, I think I
did that for one vintage vehicle I had (or rather spare blades were just
sold as rubber strips and the rigid parts were retained each time - but
perhaps the profile's different for different cars, so they're not 100%
interchangeable)

**** it. Take a modern blade and tie wrap it to the old arm. Maybe a
little duct tape.

Baling wire all the way... :-)

Twayne[_3_] March 8th 10 10:36 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

In ,
Jules Richardson typed:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 +0000, Way Back Jack wrote:
In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement
even though the vehicle has been driven a total of only
7,000 miles in four years and spends most of its life in a
shaded carport. Maybe the rubber gets dry rot???

I've seen ones on old vehicles that have stood for years
where the rubber has gone dry and crumbly (same with things
like door and window seals). It actually seems to get
things left in the shade more than the sun, so maybe it's
made worse by cold / moisture.

I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving
it, but I don't know if that's a genuine fix or just a
temporary one.

cheers

Jules

Yeh; and it makes the windshield so clear to see thru too!! lol

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] March 8th 10 10:45 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Yes, they make good profit. Yes, they do deteriorate over time from UV
light and heat. OTOH it is good to replace them after a year or two
depending on use. If the rubber breaks off it is possible to scratch the
windshield. At four years, I'd definitely change them.

RonB[_2_] March 8th 10 10:51 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Some auto repair shops will replace the entire car if they can get
away with it.

A local Saturn Dealer started advertising $19.95 oil changes a few
years ago which was a pretty good deal. I figure a certain amount of
"sale building" was excusable.

HOWEVER....after a year or so it started getting out of hand, sexist
and discriminatory. I seldom had them mention any more than wiper
blades or belts. But I saw them work on women, especially older women
with tires, brakes, plugs, etc and get away with it.

They only tried it to my wife once! The tech came out to the crowded
waiting room declaring the brakes were worn and dangerous. She
informed him LOUDLY...."That's odd. Our Mechanic did a FULL BRAKE JOB
ON THE CAR LAST WEEEEEEK!

Got quiet. We quit using them.

RonB

HeyBub[_3_] March 9th 10 12:33 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Way Back Jack wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

I'm sure profit enters into the equation. But a more compelling argument is
a subsequent accident involving rainy weather.

"I had my car in the shop. They didn't tell me the wipers were bad. It's all
their fault granny is dead. I want compensation for pain and suffering and
loss of consortium. And throw in some punative damages too."

mm March 9th 10 12:39 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Unlike most parts, one can tell by looking when wipers need replacing.
It's right before your very eyes!

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

I'm sure they get brittle becasue of age alone. And 4 years is a
long time, but if they are wiping the water off nicely, that's all
that matters.

Stormin Mormon March 9th 10 12:58 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Priceless!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[email protected] March 9th 10 01:57 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:32:48 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) stayin@home wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the
northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on
anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like
fanbelts, hoses, etc.

Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with
anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never
had one offer to replace wipers.

You've found one that was competent to fix anything? Stay away from those
places!

[email protected] March 9th 10 02:21 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

The rubbers dry out. Ozone gets them. They get hard.The edge wears
off. They generally loose their effectiveness with either age OR use.
Generally not good for much more than a year or two at the most.

Tony[_19_] March 9th 10 03:34 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Colbyt wrote:
"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Geez! According to him I am a little overdue with my OEM, 1996 Nissan, 150K
mile ones. If they did not work I guess I would.

Ya know how some people hate to turn off the car while the wipers are
running or not in their parked position? About half of the time I do it
on purpose, while they are on there way up. This keeps the rubber so it
can "flip flop" as they change direction. When they stop "flip
flopping" you often get that awful chatter as they go up. Sometimes
when it's not raining if I notice the wipers are flipped on there return
to home position, I'll lift them up and..... Flop them! I'm sure this
all sounds silly, but I'm serious!

Tony[_19_] March 9th 10 03:44 AM

Wiper Joke: true story Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

OK, this is a true story. Many moons ago my girlfriend was driving when
we hit some really heavy rain. She had the wipers on slow. It rained
harder yet. Still, even though we could hardly see, she left them on
slow. I couldn't take it anymore and asked why she won't turn the
wipers on high? And I swear this is true....

she replied, "Then what will I do if it rains even harder?"

Bob F March 9th 10 05:32 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Tony wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
[...]

That, and cleaning them once in a while keeps them working for years.

Bob F March 9th 10 05:33 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Jon Danniken wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even
though the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in
four years and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe
the rubber gets dry rot???

Mine get replaced once per year, in the Fall. I replace them myself,
as is I perform all of my vehicle maintenance myself.

I replace them because after a year, they are noticeably less
effective at clearing my windshield.

My life is worth more than the cost of a yearly replacement of wiper
blades.

Have you ever tried just cleaning them? Makes all the difference.

Bob F March 9th 10 05:36 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even
though the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in
four years and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe
the rubber gets dry rot???

The rubbers dry out. Ozone gets them. They get hard.The edge wears
off. They generally loose their effectiveness with either age OR use.
Generally not good for much more than a year or two at the most.

If you clean them once in a while, they last several years. At least they do
here in Seattle.

Alim Nassor 1 March 9th 10 08:43 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 9, 2:32*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:35*am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

always want to replace wipers? *Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently. *

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. *Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

Replace them when they don't work well, otherwise, develop deafness to
what is recommended. *This isn't rocket science!!!!

Yeah, but who wants to replace em when it's raining, and if it aint
raining, who cares?

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] March 9th 10 11:01 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

"Alim Nassor 1" wrote
Replace them when they don't work well, otherwise, develop deafness to
what is recommended. This isn't rocket science!!!!

Yeah, but who wants to replace em when it's raining, and if it aint
raining, who cares?

Borrowed the company pickup one day and it started to rain. First I had to
find a place selling blades, then find a bridge to park under so I could see
what I was doing. What a mess.

Idiots let them go until they don't work any more. At the first sign of
less than perfect wiping, mine get changed. We're taling 20 bucks or less
every two years.

Stormin Mormon March 9th 10 12:04 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Not to be flip, but I'm wondering if that technique is a
flop?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Tony[_19_] March 9th 10 09:16 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not to be flip, but I'm wondering if that technique is a
flop?

No. Flipping is not flopping!

DemoDisk March 10th 10 05:49 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

stayin@home wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the
northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on
anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like
fanbelts, hoses, etc.

Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with
anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never
had one offer to replace wipers.

They'll tear holes in your CV joint boots and tell you, "We fix those."

Roger Shoaf March 10th 10 09:31 AM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

"Way Back Jack" stayin@home. wrote in message
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently.

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

I bet that at 4 years they are shot, but it is easy enough to see for
yourself. Look at a new wiper blade from the side. The corners are sharp
and the profile is symmetrical.

Now look at your 4 year old blades. From sitting compressed for 4 years
they will have taken a set and this prevents them from working properly.

Rain or not they are only good for about a year.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

AZ Nomad[_2_] March 10th 10 03:14 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

stayin@home wrote:
always want to replace wipers? Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Must be something about your locale. I've lived in 7 states in the
northeast and southwest and never had a mechanic offer to work on
anything but his main task and perhaps engine components like
fanbelts, hoses, etc.

Oil change shops are the worst: they want to pad the bill with
anything they can find that they are competant to fix, yet I've never
had one offer to replace wipers.

They'll tear holes in your CV joint boots and tell you, "We fix those."

Had my car in a tire shop and they pointed out a striped lug stud.
Said they had are relationship with a midas brake shop and they'd
replace it free. Took the car there (mistake!) and they chewed the end
off my axle. It has a one time crimped nut, it has a part on the nut
that is hit with a hammer to crimp it. It is a one time part. Midas
tried to reuse it and chewed the end off the axle trying. Then they
tried to say "it was like that when we started". Had to take them to
small claims court. It was weird calling road side emergency service
to have the car towed *away* from a repair shop.

Stormin Mormon March 10th 10 03:48 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Didn't mean to create a flap about the flip that was
flopping. I guess I flupped up?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

DerbyDad03 March 10th 10 07:52 PM

On Mar 8, 10:44*pm, Tony wrote:
OK, this is a true story. *Many moons ago my girlfriend was driving when
we hit some really heavy rain. *She had the wipers on slow. *It rained
harder yet. *Still, even though we could hardly see, she left them on
slow. *I couldn't take it anymore and asked why she won't turn the
wipers on high? *And I swear this is true....

she replied, "Then what will I do if it rains even harder?"

"OK, this is a true story."

Wiper story time? OK...

A buddy and I flew from NYC to Cleveland to pick up an AMC Javelin
from my buddy's brother. It poured almost all the way home, a 10 plus
hour drive in a truly POS car.

Back in those days, AMC wipers ran off of the engine vacuum and were
controlled by a cabled lever that opened a valve.

Less than halfway home the valve broke in such a manner that the
wipers would only go up when you turned them on and down when you
turned them off.

After a few hours of the passenger flipping the lever up and down, the
cable broke and the wipers stayed in the up position. We pulled over
under a bridge and found that if we manually pulled them down, they
would go back up by themselves.

We managed to find a piece of wire in the trunk that was barely long
enough to allow the passenger to let the wipers go up and then pull
them back down. By barely long enough, I mean that our hand would have
to go outside the window, into the cold rain, just a little bit to get
the wipers to go up. We spent hours letting the wipers go up, and
pulling them back down, letting them go up and pulling them back down
over and over and over again.

We ended up wearing socks on our hands to keep them warm and were
covered with road spray and dirt by the time we made it back to NY.

N8N March 10th 10 08:25 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 8, 11:35*am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:
always want to replace wipers? *Is there a really good profit margin,
or do wipers truly need frequent replacement?

Throughout my driving history going back to 1963, auto techs have
recommended replacement frequently. *

In this case, the dealer's mechanic recommends replacement even though
the vehicle has been driven a total of only 7,000 miles in four years
and spends most of its life in a shaded carport. *Maybe the rubber
gets dry rot???

in my experience yes, they get hard and then won't flip over. The new
silicone blades work great for low mileage cars as they don't do
this. I still have ones (PIAA brand - usually wouldn't consider their
products because they are best known for ricer lights, but their
wipers are actually good) on my 944 that I put on over xmas break
either 2 or 3 years ago. Now the ones on my company car, even the
good silicone ones, seem to last a year and a half tops before the
edges are literally worn out and they start to smear, but at least
they are still supple unlike the parts store ones.

nate

N8N March 10th 10 08:28 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 8, 2:12*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:47:55 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:34:10 -0600, AZ Nomad wrote:
I've heard that a soak in castor oil's good for reviving it, but I don't
know if that's a genuine fix or just a temporary one.

The fix is replace it.

Definitely, if the part exists. For a lot of old vehicles (I'm talking
vintage stuff when I say "old cars", not e.g. 1980's clunkers) that isn't
always the case - but although I've had a few vintage cars pass through
my hands, I've always been able to source spares or had good donor parts
handy, so it's not something I've ever needed to try.

I think you can buy the rubber separately. *Don't know how hard it
would be to make it fit.

**** it. *Take a modern blade and tie wrap it to the old arm. *Maybe a
little duct tape.

I have investigated this for my old Studebaker which uses 12" Trico
blades (shared with pre-63 Corvette) and the only thing that I've
found that will work are the expen$ive repro blades sold for Corvette
enthusiasts. I would really like to use silicone inserts but the
profile of the "claws" of the blade is different, and attempting to
trim to fit with a razor blade did not work. Now maybe if I had a jig
to trim them things would be different.

nate

DerbyDad03 March 10th 10 08:45 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 10, 3:28*pm, N8N wrote:
On Mar 8, 2:12*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

"Now maybe if I had a jig to trim them things would be different.
"

When I think of a jig I think of all the one's I've made for various
woodworking and/or metal work projects. The few hours I spend making a
jig saves me countless hours of layout and measuring when performing
the same task over and over again.

I don't know exactly what type of "timming" you have to do, but
couldn't you spend a few hours making a jig that you could then use
forever?

N8N March 10th 10 09:06 PM

Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

On Mar 10, 3:45*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:28*pm, N8N wrote:

On Mar 8, 2:12*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

possibly. the problem is that a) I haven't a clue how to make a jig
to do what I need it to do and b) $20 every couple of years for some
overpriced but "show correct" wiper inserts really aren't the end of
the world.

I *could* just replace the blades with new aftermarket ones and
sidestep the problem, but I like the look of the old, low-profile
polished stainless blades.

I don't have a good profile pic of old and new refills handy, but
they're significantly different, with the new style being much
larger. If you go to Corvette Central and search for a '62 wiper
blade that's exactly what I'm using on my '55 Studebaker. (it was
actually used 56-64, but refills are available for those, and they're
also 12" long unlike the original '55 blades which were 11" and are
stashed away for safe keeping if I ever decide to restore the car to
show correctness, which will likely never happen.)

nate