Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extending an asphalt driveway

wrote:
When spring shows up, I want to extend the turnaround at the top of my
driveway by as much as 20 feet. The existing driveway is in pretty
good shape. I figure it's good for at least 5 more years.

Normally I like to pull into the turnaround and back up to the garage,
but the turnaround is way too short to do that. In the summer I just
drive on the grass. In the late fall, winter, and early spring, I have
to make a 3-point turn because I don't want to tear up the lawn.

How to extend:
1. Asphalt
2. Concrete pad
3. Pavers

I'm thinking pavers right now because I think I can do it pretty
cheap, and I won't have to deal with tearing up a near-new asphalt
patch in 5 years, or busting up a reinforced concrete pad in 5 years.
Thoughts?

Gravel. I don't remember the numbers, but somebody on here will jump in
momentarily. The right mix, wetted down and compacted, will be tight
enough to not get ruts, and can get reused as substrate when you replace
the asphalt. Any of your solutions will require grading and leveling
before you install the finish surface. If you know you will want it
eventually, I'd go ahead with asphalt. It might not be as expensive as
you think, especially if you can be flexible about scheduling. Do the
prep work yourself, or have them do it on a slow day, and put the
asphalt on when they are doing another job nearby, since you will only
be using a fraction of a load.

--
aem sends...