Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate vs. Carpet

What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 1, 4:04*pm, Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? *Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. *Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

You need to use what will survive your family's lifestyle. For couch
potatoes, carpet is fine. For most adults and no pets, laminate looks
nice. If you have active youngsters, pets, gravel driveway, it makes
sense to use a commercial grade sheet vinyl flooring with a wood grain
pattern ( for example) to soothe the psyche. Your call.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in -
september.org:

What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

What's under it? Cement, crawlspace, unheated basement, heated room?
Consideration for floor temp on feet and room warmth. Maybe moot in your
area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate
wood or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Hmm. Anything BUT carpet. If I have to choose between the two, laminate for
sure.

Laminate:
1. Can be / is cheaper.
2. Doesn't absorb stains, spills, or dirt.
3. Doesn't absorb odors.
4. Is easier to clean and maintain.
5. Can be redecorated with a simple change of throw-rugs.
6. Installation is DIY.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Mar 1, 5:17*pm, Red Green wrote:
Kate wrote -
september.org:

What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? *Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. *Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

What's under it? Cement, crawlspace, unheated basement, heated room?
Consideration for floor temp on feet and room warmth. Maybe moot in your
area.

==
All carpets should be banned. Home of huge reserves of lint, dust,
mites, dung (of all descriptions), dog and cat flea eggs...not to
mention the millions of bacteria and viruses waiting for a host. Ditto
for animal skins.

The only carpets needed are small non-slip area rugs which can be
easily cleaned at least every week or so.

Laminate or equivalent is the way to go.

==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 5:04*pm, Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? *Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. *Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Carpets are dirty, hard to vacuum, impossible to clean, emit hazardous
gases (cheap ones), burn really quickly
in the event of fire.
If you must have carpet then use an area rug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:33:00 -0800 (PST), Roy
wrote:

All carpets should be banned. Home of huge reserves of lint, dust,
mites, dung (of all descriptions), dog and cat flea eggs...not to
mention the millions of bacteria and viruses waiting for a host.

Yep. When you combine all the above it equals "Cooties".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood or
carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Engineered hardwood. Looks better than laminate because it is real wood,
not plastic. Don't miss the carpet, but we do have two throw rugs in front
of chairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Mar 1, 4:04 pm, Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

You need to use what will survive your family's lifestyle. For couch
potatoes, carpet is fine. For most adults and no pets, laminate looks
nice. If you have active youngsters, pets, gravel driveway, it makes
sense to use a commercial grade sheet vinyl flooring with a wood grain
pattern ( for example) to soothe the psyche. Your call.

Joe

With my lifestyle, I could go either way, but I will probably stick with
carpet as it will be warmer in the winter. I rough house with my Yorkie
quite a bit, and the laminate flooring would not be great for that.
I do have a big throw rug I can put on the laminate, but think I will
stay with carpet.

Thanks for taking the time to email your info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Kate wrote in -
september.org:

What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

What's under it? Cement, crawlspace, unheated basement, heated room?
Consideration for floor temp on feet and room warmth. Maybe moot in your
area.

It is a crawlspace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate
wood or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Hmm. Anything BUT carpet. If I have to choose between the two, laminate for
sure.

Laminate:
1. Can be / is cheaper.
2. Doesn't absorb stains, spills, or dirt.
3. Doesn't absorb odors.
4. Is easier to clean and maintain.
5. Can be redecorated with a simple change of throw-rugs.
6. Installation is DIY.

Thanks for your feedback. I am still debating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:
[...]

Good points, and I had already thought of that. I am still debating
though. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Neither- REAL wood is the best for a family room, IMHO. A good factory
prefinished like Bruce or similar. And when the finish goes, you can
refinish it. A properly installed hardwood floor will outlast the house,
as long as you keep it dry and keep sand and grit off of it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate
wood or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Neither- REAL wood is the best for a family room, IMHO. A good factory
prefinished like Bruce or similar. And when the finish goes, you can
refinish it. A properly installed hardwood floor will outlast the
house, as long as you keep it dry and keep sand and grit off of it.

Good point. Still, you can replace the laminate for the cost of refinishing
a wood floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate
wood or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Neither- REAL wood is the best for a family room, IMHO. A good factory
prefinished like Bruce or similar. And when the finish goes, you can
refinish it. A properly installed hardwood floor will outlast the
house, as long as you keep it dry and keep sand and grit off of it.

Good point. Still, you can replace the laminate for the cost of refinishing
a wood floor.

My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time the
refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to come in and
sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real wood again, at
least in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real
wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled less than
0.002 inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time the
refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to come in and
sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real wood again, at
least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Yup. Tile in the kitchen, bathrooms, in front of fireplaces, and all
entryways with real hardwood used everywhere else. I use a few small,
washable rugs in the bathrooms but that's it. Large carpets are just
disgusting. You can never really clean them unless you send them out to be
washed (real wool Persians, etc.). That "steemer" service is a joke. It just
squirts toxic chemicals into the carpet and the padding and gets out surface
stains. Wall-to-wall which is permanently installed and therefore not
cleanable is a health hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 2, 7:43*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. *One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. *They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. *He said he would never have real
wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled less than
0.002 inch.

Not all of it. I saw the aftermath of a blowed up dishwasher in a
friend's place where (at his landlady's request) he had installed
Pergo in the kitchen. It was all buckled and had to be R&R'd.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:43 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real
wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled less than
0.002 inch.

Not all of it. I saw the aftermath of a blowed up dishwasher in a
friend's place where (at his landlady's request) he had installed
Pergo in the kitchen. It was all buckled and had to be R&R'd.

nate

depends on the brand. I had some laminate when I lived in Houston that I
had in a bucket of water for months with no problem. The Laminate I have
now in my current house is awful. edges swell and curl up if it gets
wet....

paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 2:04*pm, Kate wrote:
What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? *Laminate wood
or carpet?

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. *Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

Thanks.

Carpets are much more resistant to scratches (think of heavy hard
objects, metal, etc). Carpets are much nicer to lay on. And they're
not to hard to change out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real
wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled less than
0.002 inch.

I did the same thing with my kitchen laminate. It is truly amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Oman wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:43 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

What brand would that be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree your brother on wood in the kitchen( Laminate or 'real wood"). I
put down laminate in my kitchen and breakfast area and it was really pretty,
.... until the dishwasher door seal leaked one night! That pretty floor
curled up very nicely and was ruined, not three months after installation.
The only consolation was the ease in which it came up later! Put ceramic
tile down and have never looked back!!

Bill

Kate" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have real
wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled less than
0.002 inch.

What about the wood subfloor under those cracks? Snaplock floors ain't
water-tight.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
My brother has real wood in his kitchen and family room. One time
the refrigerator leaked, and what a mess. They hired someone to
come in and sand/repair the floor. He said he would never have
real wood again, at least in the kitchen.

Quite agree on that- kitchen, like the front hallway, should be
stone/slate/vinyl, or something equally liquid-proof.

Engineered laminate IS liquid proof.

I tooks some strips and miked 'em.

Then I left them in a glass of water for a MONTH. They had swelled
less than 0.002 inch.

What about the wood subfloor under those cracks? Snaplock floors ain't
water-tight.

You may be right. I haven't tried, but as hard as those things are to click
together, I wouldn't be surprised if they WERE at least water-resistant.

Whatever, my subfloor is eight inches of concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:04:02 -0800, Kate wrote:

What type of flooring do you prefer in your family room? Laminate wood
or carpet?

Depends. If you lay on the floor, carpet. If you want to change it often,
carpet.

I am not sure I want to give up my carpet, but it sure would make
the upkeep easier. Also, I like the fact that I would never have
to the replace carpet in that room.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is Bamboo. I used it in my
halls, dining room, and kitchen in my last house and loved it. I have it in
my great room in this house and it's miserable stuff (this stuff scratches
like crazy). It's really cheap (cheaper than vinyl, which is why I put it in
my last house) and looks nice. If it gets badly scratched simply replace it.
Of course that's the idea with carpet, too. ;-)

Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer? Neil UK diy 64 April 7th 13 09:36 AM
Carpet over Laminate Flooe alecgreen UK diy 8 June 3rd 08 10:46 PM
carpet over laminate Ann UK diy 1 August 17th 06 03:56 PM
Carpet over laminate? Tom Barker UK diy 8 March 25th 06 07:47 PM
Laminate on carpet? Matthew Barnard UK diy 2 September 9th 03 03:39 PM