Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smart Strip LCG3 Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 10-Outlet

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...7133454&sr=1-1

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:34*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. *If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

Why dont you read up on what it does, a hint, it automaticly shuts
power off to accesories plugged in after you power off a tv, or put a
computer in standby or turn it off. Its a good idea
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...7133454&sr=1-1

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

http://www.google.com/search?q=vampi...er+consumption

HTH

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 25, 4:55*pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 25, 3:34*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. *If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

Why dont you read up on what it does, a hint, it automaticly shuts
power off to accesories plugged in after you power off a tv, or put a
computer in standby or turn it off. Its a good idea

yes, I like that idea, e.g. being able to power off my monitor
completely (not just "standby") when turning off computer. I do
manually turn off power strips that have rarely used appliances, e.g.
the TV in the spare bedroom, or the one that my cell phone chargers
plug into, when they're not in use.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...7133454&sr=1-1

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

When I shut down my computer, I switch off the power strip to kill the
power to eight other devices. This strip does it automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 4:26*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. *If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

When I shut down my computer, I switch off the power strip to kill the
power to eight other devices. *This strip does it automatically.

But its better, it shuts eveything off when computer goes into standby
mode that would still consume power, like a HD, modem, monitor,
speakers, printer. All my "extras" pull about 20 watts, thats about
1.50 a day at my rate 12 hrs a day in standby alone, if you leave
these extras on all night you could save alot over a year. I read
about one that uses a Usb port but this seems to be more versatile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/25/2010 06:39 PM, ransley wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:26 pm, E Z wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

When I shut down my computer, I switch off the power strip to kill the
power to eight other devices. This strip does it automatically.

But its better, it shuts eveything off when computer goes into standby
mode that would still consume power, like a HD, modem, monitor,
speakers, printer. All my "extras" pull about 20 watts, thats about
1.50 a day at my rate 12 hrs a day in standby alone, if you leave
these extras on all night you could save alot over a year. I read
about one that uses a Usb port but this seems to be more versatile.

I'm sure a product like I'm envisioning exists but I haven't searched it
out... I have two computers, both laptops. So the laptop should remain
plugged in even when powered down, to keep the battery charged. But all
the peripherals that are plugged into the docking station, like scanner,
printer, monitor, etc - those could be completely powered off when the
laptop is powered down, but that one "master" outlet would remain live.
so then when I sit down to do some work, I hit the power button and
all my peripherals come back to life. Et voila, no "standby" power draw
- monitors especially have this, because they need to detect when your
computer turns on so they come back to life. Apparently pushing an
extra power button is too much trouble for some people. Maybe the
product in the original link works like this; I didn't read the copy
very closely.

Useta be that you could buy these little power management boxes that
would sit under your monitor with switches on it for all your
peripherals and a master switch to kill everything when you were done
for the day, but they never really caught on, despite being a good idea.
I remember they were expenSive, although they really were probably
just a basic surge protector, some receps, and a couple lighted rocker
switches in a generic computer-colored case. Of course back in the day
I also remember that the power switch on a computer was an actual power
switch, and when you shut down your OS by a command, instead of actually
shutting the computer off, when it finished doing whatever it needed to
do a screen would pop up that said "It is now safe to turn off your
computer" (or similar verbiage, depending on what OS you were running.)

I'm not that old, honest. (seriously, technology has come a LONG way in
my lifetime, and I really am not that old. When I was a kid, the
thought of having a little box about the size of two cigarette packs
that would suction-cup to your windshield, display maps, and talk you
through directions was just unheard of. Hell, my parents still had a
black and white TV, and "computer games" meant my cousins' Atari. Think
about it)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...7133454&sr=1-1

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

You plug the pc tower into the marked Control Outlet. When it senses
the power from the control outlet goes low, but not off, it turns off
other outlets for printer, monitor, speakers..... but it leaves the PC
turned ON standby! If it didn't you would have errors when the PC
started up again. If you turn the PC off completely then it's just a
matter of flipping one power strip off. The only advantage of the
automatic one is for when your computer goes into standby while you are
not there. But again, it doesn't turn off the computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are
not using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

When I shut down my computer, I switch off the power strip to kill
the power to eight other devices. This strip does it automatically.

But its better, it shuts eveything off when computer goes into standby
mode that would still consume power, like a HD, modem, monitor,
speakers, printer. All my "extras" pull about 20 watts, thats about
1.50 a day at my rate 12 hrs a day in standby alone, if you leave
these extras on all night you could save alot over a year. I read
about one that uses a Usb port but this seems to be more versatile.

Huh!

20 watts x 12 hours = 0.24 kwh = $6.24/kwh!

At a more believable rate of 10¢/kwh you're "wasing" 2.4¢ or about
75¢/month.

Ah, I see. The $1.50 you quote is for a MONTH, not a day (at about 20¢/kwh).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...7133454&sr=1-1

This says it automatically switches off to save power. If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

Hi,
Do you inplug you TV or turn it of from remote? Do you see clock running
on your microwave oven when it is not cooking anything? Well? Having
problem understanding the product description?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Ah, I see. The $1.50 you quote is for a MONTH, not a day (at about 20 /kwh).- Hide quoted text -

So in two years it might have a payback, I might save 1.50 a month,
but my electric supplier has two rate increases starting this year,
then they will be approved 2 more next year. For me it would be worth
getting since my computer goes into standby 10x a day, or whatever,
for most of the day. The only downside in my modem would take a few
minutes to boot. For tv system setups it would also work well
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 10:48*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ng-Technology/...

This says it automatically switches off to save power. *If you are not
using any power, how would turning itself off save anything?

Hi,
Do you inplug you TV or turn it of from remote? Do you see clock running
on your microwave oven when it is not cooking anything? Well? Having
problem understanding the product description?

Actually, there are SOME applications where this thing makes sense,
like the PC with accessories connected and all located close enough to
plug in to one strip. But the typical home entertainment gear or
microwave oven sure aren't good examples. Every time the power goes
off here, I have to go reset the settings in some of the home
entertainment gear, eg selection of the appropriate input, so it will
work again. Some settings that aren't retained are even buried in
a second level menu. And of course, once you use this to turn off
your TV, you aren't going to turn it back on with the remote. Then,
there are the various items that have clocks in them, etc.