Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loud Fan on the 2008 RUDD 90RS furnace fan

Does the fan on this unit have a fan speed option? I think my fan is
too loud and I wonder if it is because of the fan speed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 10:46*am, EvenStephen wrote:
Does the fan on this unit have a fan speed option? *I think my fan is
too loud and I wonder if it is because of the fan speed?

The heat exchanger needs a certain amount of air moving over it to
keep it withing design temps, raise it above spec by reducing airflow
and life can be short with some new cheap aluminised exchangers, even
the best Lennox has or had them, mine does. Start by using a probe
thermometer, the one with a long metal probe, a meat thermometer and
get it just above the exchanger. I drilled a hole in the duct, but you
cant drill blindly usualy the AC coil is there. Then read the manual,
it could be to hot now as its something installers seem to be to lazy
to verify. So it should be checked anyway if you want the most life
out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:12*pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:46:22 -0800 (PST), EvenStephen
wrote:

Does the fan on this unit have a fan speed option? *I think my fan is
too loud and I wonder if it is because of the fan speed?

The fan needs to move a certain amount of air per minute for the
furnace to be efficient and effective. If you drop below the design
limit by reducing the blower capacity the furnace may not operate
well, may not operate at all and/or be damaged. You probably should
seek the advice of a Rudd dealer.

Thanks! I'll contact the installer.