Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pine plank flooring

I am thinking of putting down pine plank flooring throughout the
living room instead of carpet. I was just at a friends house who had
it done 20 years ago, and the flooring looks incredible. It seems to
be an economical way to do flooring, and having animals in the house,
would be better for wear and tear. I don't mind that the pine is soft
and will dent or scratch. That will add to the look. Their flooring
was put down with about a 1/4 inch space between the planks then there
was a filler put in that would allow for any expansion or contraction.
What is the filling that is used? Also, it looks like the floors where
screwed in - basically subsetting the screw then a dowel was put in on
top of the screw. I am assuming glued. Then was coated with
verathane? Can you get these dowels pre-cut? Also is there a special
tool/drill that can be used to create the subset for screwing in the
floors? I want to do this myself rather than hire someone to do it.
Any suggestions?
thanks
janet