Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom paint prep

I'm painting a bathroom soon. There are two problem areas I want to
make sure I get prepped right.

First, above the shower, there is a metal dry-wall corner that's
rusting through some nicked paint in a few places. At this point,
it's just minor rust stains on white ceiling paint but I want to
prevent the stains from coming back and make sure the metal doesn't
rust out. What's the best way to seal it in?

Second, there's a area across from the sink where over spray from hair
products lands. Do I need to clean is really well before repainting?
If so, what's best? I've heard of TSP being use for thorough paint
prep but I'd usually use alcohol to remove hair spray. What's the
best paint or finish to use to make cleaning up the hair spray easiest
in the future?

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I'm painting a bathroom soon. There are two problem areas I want to
make sure I get prepped right.

First, above the shower, there is a metal dry-wall corner that's
rusting through some nicked paint in a few places. At this point,
it's just minor rust stains on white ceiling paint but I want to
prevent the stains from coming back and make sure the metal doesn't
rust out. What's the best way to seal it in?

I did that in our bath 4 or 5 yrs ago. I used my Dremel tool to grind
off the rust and immediately painted on some Rustoleum primer. When
that was cured, I painted with alkyd semigloss. There was a spot at the
bottom that had rusted entirely through...one side of the corner has
tile right up to the edge. I dug out the rust, put a little glop of
clear silicone on the cut end of the corner bead, said a little prayer,
and packed in some spackle to fill my excavation. Looks fine so far )

Second, there's a area across from the sink where over spray from hair
products lands. Do I need to clean is really well before repainting?

Denatured alcohol. If the paint starts to soften, leave it and sand
lightly with fine sandpaper.

If so, what's best? I've heard of TSP being use for thorough paint

TSP is not magic. Any household cleaner should be fine...fantastic,
formula 409, spic/span.

prep but I'd usually use alcohol to remove hair spray. What's the
best paint or finish to use to make cleaning up the hair spray easiest
in the future?

Chris

I wouldn't really worry about the hair spray unless it is so thick the
texture shows through the paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:15:41 -0800 (PST), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I'm painting a bathroom soon. There are two problem areas I want to
make sure I get prepped right.

First, above the shower, there is a metal dry-wall corner that's
rusting through some nicked paint in a few places. At this point,
it's just minor rust stains on white ceiling paint but I want to
prevent the stains from coming back and make sure the metal doesn't
rust out. What's the best way to seal it in?

I know you won't like this answer... Replace the metal corner with
a vinyl one.

Second, there's a area across from the sink where over spray from hair
products lands. Do I need to clean is really well before repainting?
If so, what's best? I've heard of TSP being use for thorough paint
prep but I'd usually use alcohol to remove hair spray. What's the
best paint or finish to use to make cleaning up the hair spray easiest
in the future?

Chris

Remove the hairspray. I'd use TSP, rinse, and follow up with alcohol.
A clean wall is very important. Repair holes, cracks, etc. Select a
high quality primer and paint (such as Benjamin Moore) that is a
"Kitchen and Bath" paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'd second Norminn's advice to sand the metal and use Rustoleum
followed by whatever final coat you intend to use. Above a shower,
I'd probably make that a semi-gloss coat or at least a satin.

The hairspray, as long as the surface is smooth I would just paint
over it, but then that opinion is not based on actual experience. I
just think dried hairspray is not going to be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

USG Dura-Bead Cornerbead is Galvinized. It won't rust..I have scraps out
behind the garage that have been there a year or two and no rust...No need
to use vinyl as it won't match the other cornerbead in the bathroom......The
bead is slightly larger..Regardless he doesn't need to replace it...I would
just sand the rusty spots , touch up if necessary and get a spray can of
Binz or similar and spray it as well as any other bad areas (hairspray) and
touch-ups...HTH...

Drywall - paint prep Jeff Dege Home Repair 3 March 29th 08 11:51 PM
Bathroom floor prep Tony Home Repair 17 August 12th 07 04:41 AM
Bathroom floor prep Tony Home Ownership 17 August 12th 07 04:41 AM
Paint Prep Steve Home Repair 1 July 26th 05 04:12 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Prep for Painting Vince Home Repair 3 May 27th 05 07:55 PM