DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to tape water heater insulation blanket (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/298099-how-tape-water-heater-insulation-blanket.html)

David Haardt February 13th 10 04:37 AM

How to tape water heater insulation blanket

Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Tony Hwang February 13th 10 05:06 AM

David Haardt wrote:
Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Hi,
Due to warmth, tapes doesn't stay put long. Use bunge cord or twine
to keep it in place. That is what I did.

Jason Bourne February 13th 10 01:12 PM

David Haardt wrote:
Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Consider metallic duct tape.

David Haardt February 13th 10 05:47 PM

On 13 Feb., 00:37, David Haardt wrote:
Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Great, thank you all very much!

D.

Phisherman[_2_] February 13th 10 07:59 PM

How to tape water heater insulation blanket

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:06:36 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

David Haardt wrote:
Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

Hi,
Due to warmth, tapes doesn't stay put long. Use bunge cord or twine
to keep it in place. That is what I did.

You are right. I used duct tape on some hot water pipe insulation and
it came apart in just three months.

HeyBub[_3_] February 14th 10 01:44 AM

David Haardt wrote:
Good evening,

My water heater has an insulation blanket which, unfortunately, has a
hole cut into it vertically. Is it safe to use normal office adhesive
tape to tape the insulation blanket, or could this be a fire hazard?
(The insulation blanket doesn't seem to be very hot, more like
lukewarm, but I thought I would ask.)

Apart from the fire hazard: I suppose that a different type of tape
would improve the quality of the insulation. Which kind of tape should
I get in the ideal case? Or would it be best to get a new insulation
blanket altogether?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Large needle and twine.