Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are low temperature dehumidifier for real?

I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that claim
to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention anything
about low temperature.

Are low-temperature dehumidifiers constructed differently than non
low-temperature dehumidifier, or is it just hype?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message
I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that
claim to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention
anything about low temperature.

Are low-temperature dehumidifiers constructed differently than non
low-temperature dehumidifier, or is it just hype?

I don't know the differance, but many regular dehumidifiers only operate to
about 70 deg. The one my basement would freeze over when it got much below
70.
The low temperature ones operate down to around 45 deg. Some may operate
slightly higher or lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:17:21 -0800, "james" wrote:

I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that claim
to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention anything
about low temperature.

Are low-temperature dehumidifiers constructed differently than non
low-temperature dehumidifier, or is it just hype?

I believe the true low temp units sense when the evaporator coils ice
up and enter a defrost cycle. You can do an active defrost (more
expensive but faster) or passive (just shut off the compressor while
keeping the fan running to melt the ice; cheap but slow) It's likely
the design is also tuned to reduce the tendency to ice up, probably at
the expense of dehumidification capacity.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen some dehum with a freeze stat. Temperature sensor,
turns off the compressor if the evaporator freezes. That
might very well be the difference.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across
units that claim
to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not
mention anything
about low temperature.

Are low-temperature dehumidifiers constructed differently
than non
low-temperature dehumidifier, or is it just hype?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:17:21 -0800, "james" wrote:

I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that claim
to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention anything
about low temperature.

I think I'd find a way to ventilate it. It sure beats buying
dehumidifiers that don't last and paying for the electricity which
won't be insignificant.
---
A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 8:17*pm, "james" wrote:
I'm shopping for a crawlspace dehumidifier and come across units that claim
to work under low temperature, as well as units that do not mention anything
about low temperature.

Are low-temperature dehumidifiers constructed differently than non
low-temperature dehumidifier, or is it just hype?

They work but what they actualy remove in cold air compared to the
rating and what your power consumption will be I think will suprise
you unhappily. Buy from a place you can return it after you verify
what it does and what it costs to run.