Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

Default It will cost 36 dollars or less

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Feb 4, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge. *

And he said "36 dollars or less". *Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." *What's going on here? *He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia

Did you ever price a new one, I junk them when they get low, its not
worth the headache recharging them unless you have lots of them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:41:30 -0500, mm
wrote:

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

With the "or less" guy you have no surprises. The labor to charge a
unit is about the same no matter the size. The material inside is not
so much. A pro knows what the larger sizes are so he gave you th at
price, less for a smaller one. The other guy may be giving you a
low ball price and then slams you when you get there.

Prices can vary by accent too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

mm wrote:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

When I asked a shop about this, I was told it's cheaper to buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

I bought a 3 pound (ABC) Kidde from Wal-Mart for about 20 bucks.

You can buy 2 of them instead (and have the added advantage of placing
them in separate locations).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:21:55 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 4, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge. *

And he said "36 dollars or less". *Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." *What's going on here? *He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

" " " " " " "
"
eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia

Did you ever price a new one, I junk them when they get low, its not
worth the headache recharging them unless you have lots of them]

I did buy a replacement for a smaller one but this one is
rechargeable.

Yes I did price new ones and they are a little more than twice what
reconditioned are.

Bob, perhaps recycling them has gotten more organized over time. And
maybe shipping costs have gone down. This place that sells never
used but recharged probably has loads, because periodically someone
replaces all the fire extinguishers all over almost every building in
the country, almost all of them never used. I guess the replacements
are mostly reconditioned, but not all of them.

At least the first time I would take one to get recharged, I would
find it very interesting to see the place where they do it. If I'm
lucky, I'll get to see the shop. Of course I might not get past the
counter. He he might trade me one that is already recharged for my
empty one, but I'd still find the place interesting.

I'm afraid unlike some I have to suffer headaches in order to save
money. I also prefer to turn the empty one into someone who will
reuse it. In fact even if I bug a recharged one online, I'll
probably drop the empty one off at the first guy's location, not far
from me, at no cost to him, just so he can reuse it.

--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Feb 4, 9:41�pm, mm wrote:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge. �

And he said "36 dollars or less". �Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." �What's going on here? �He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia

Call your local fire department and see who they use.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

With dry chem extinguishers, it's often cheaper to go buy a
new one. Sadly, so. The one extinguisher guy I talked with
for awhile, Mike. I noticed on one of his official papers on
the wall, his full name is Muhammed. Which is fine with me.
Looked like he knew what he was doing.

I'm like you, hate to throw out something that can be
reused.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two
nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I
described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says
"$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here?
He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21
dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for
a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between
70 and 80)

eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I'd do. Oh, don't bolt one over the stove. Put
it on the far wall away from the stove.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"G. Morgan" wrote in message

I bought a 3 pound (ABC) Kidde from Wal-Mart for about 20
bucks.

You can buy 2 of them instead (and have the added advantage
of placing
them in separate locations).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

mm wrote the following:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

eBay, Amazon, Overstock, Bidtopia

Check to see if there is a recall on those Kidde 340s.
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/Templates...%3D384,00.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With dry chem extinguishers, it's often cheaper to go buy a
new one. Sadly, so. The one extinguisher guy I talked with
for awhile, Mike. I noticed on one of his official papers on
the wall, his full name is Muhammed. Which is fine with me.
Looked like he knew what he was doing.

Probably trained in Waziristan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

Hank, calling the fire department is an excellent idea. They may well
know more about fires and my kind of oven than anyone else.

Whirlpool called me back yesterday, left a message and sent an email.
The email said they have no "hints", but it asked me to call back, so
I will.

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:00:27 -0500, willshak
wrote:

mm wrote the following:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.
And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.
It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

Check to see if there is a recall on those Kidde 340s.
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/Templates...%3D384,00.html

Wow. Thank you. Five of the nine models recalled have 340 as the
only main numbers in the model number, but I don't think it would be
right to complain about losing pressure and failing to operate when
needed, since I had the thing at least 10 years, maybe 15 and it
worked fine. I had checked the pressure indicator once in a while and
afaicr it was never higher than it was this week.. For sure it was
never lower than the middle of the green area (with red areas for too
much and too little pressure). And I checked just before I used it a
few days ago, and the needle was in the same place. It definitely had
more output than the smaller one I used once. (It must have been on
top of the stove. I don't remember it.) In fact the meter now is half
way down the red low pressure area, but there is still some pressure,
after 3 pretty big blasts.

Aha, these were manufactured "between October 2007 and April 2008."
Mine was more likely 1995!
--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Western Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis 7 years
Chicago 6 years
Brooklyn, NY 12 years
Baltimore 26 years
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Feb 4, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge. *

And he said "36 dollars or less". *Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." *What's going on here? *He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

It turns out they sell these things, a Kidde 340, for 21 dollars plus
14 dollars shipping, never used but recharged, on ebay, for a total of
35, one dollar less than his 36 max. (New they are between 70 and 80)

" " " " " " "

Well, I was in Home Depot and the same fire ext. was 50 dollars plus
tax, 53 dollars, that these places wanted 70 to 80 dollars for.

Strange for 2 reasons: A) Usually the web is cheaper. Here it is 20
dollars more. That's a lot.
B) Home Depot again loses the web competition,
since they didn't come up when I did google shopping for the fire
extningisher. Doesn't include metal bracket which is 6 dollars but I
still have the old one.

Same price and probems with lowes.

It turns out Model 340 means 3-A, 40-BC, which is really strange
since the model 210, 2-A, 10-BC, is the same price.

Plus they have a third one with the same ratings** but a nylon instead
of metal handle for 10 dollars less but not rechargeable and not in
stock at the HD I was at. (where I was. ?)

**But no rating in the name:
Kidde Full Home Fire Extinguisher
Model # FX340GW

None are sold online, although that other refurbishing company sold
on-line.

"

--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Western Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis 7 years
Chicago 6 years
Brooklyn, NY 12 years
Baltimore 26 years
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

To his credit, he was only trying to blow up extinguishers
to the rated pressure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
With dry chem extinguishers, it's often cheaper to go buy
new one. Sadly, so. The one extinguisher guy I talked with
for awhile, Mike. I noticed on one of his official papers
on
the wall, his full name is Muhammed. Which is fine with
me.
Looked like he knew what he was doing.

Probably trained in Waziristan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
mm wrote:

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

I bought a 3 pound (ABC) Kidde from Wal-Mart for about 20 bucks.

You can buy 2 of them instead (and have the added advantage of placing
them in separate locations).

When I had my own business my insurance wouldn't allow that. I had a
small (I forget the size) one in my shop. In writing, the insurance
inspector made me buy a larger one and REMOVE the smaller one. I
couldn't hang it at the other side of the shop, I couldn't leave it
anywhere in the shop. The small one had to be removed!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:22:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

To his credit, he was only trying to blow up extinguishers
to the rated pressure.

But if was trying to blow them ALL up to that pressure, wouldnt' that
be extremist?
--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Western Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis 7 years
Chicago 6 years
Brooklyn, NY 12 years
Baltimore 26 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

That's what I'd do. Oh, don't bolt one over the stove. Put
it on the far wall away from the stove.

Put it near the exit. When fighting a fire with an extinguisher, you always
want to be between the fire and the exit. With it near the exit that will
naturally happen. You also have the option of picking up the extinguisher,
turning around towards the fire, deciding it's too much, and heading out the
door. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that sounds like a dictator.

I do not like it here or there!
I do not like it any where.
I'm an insurance inspector
My brain suffers a heck of complector
And don't you oogle and stare.

Dr. Seuss, commenting on insurance dictators.

I'm going into withdrawl. No one has used the word "Nazi" on
this list in ages. An insurance, Nazi, that's what he was.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
G. Morgan wrote:
mm wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

Only if the intent is to cause fear, or terror. You see, he
can blow up fire extinguishers at the shop, and no one is
scared.

Why is it? When a man goes to the desert and jumps off a
cliff, to kill himself. He commits suicide. But when a man
straps on a bomb and blows up others, he's a suicide bomber.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

To his credit, he was only trying to blow up extinguishers
to the rated pressure.

But if was trying to blow them ALL up to that pressure,
wouldnt' that
be extremist?
--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Western Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis 7 years
Chicago 6 years
Brooklyn, NY 12 years
Baltimore 26 years

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wondered if anyone would comment that.

--
Christopher A. Young
(whose fire extinguishers are arms reach from the main door

"Douglas Johnson" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

That's what I'd do. Oh, don't bolt one over the stove. Put
it on the far wall away from the stove.

Put it near the exit. When fighting a fire with an
extinguisher, you always
want to be between the fire and the exit. With it near the
exit that will
naturally happen. You also have the option of picking up
the extinguisher,
turning around towards the fire, deciding it's too much, and
heading out the
door. -- Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Only if the intent is to cause fear, or terror. You see, he
can blow up fire extinguishers at the shop, and no one is
scared.

Why is it? When a man goes to the desert and jumps off a
cliff, to kill himself. He commits suicide. But when a man
straps on a bomb and blows up others, he's a suicide bomber.

I'm not sure,but I think it has something to do with the bomb.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 23:06:52 -0500, Tony wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Only if the intent is to cause fear, or terror. You see, he
can blow up fire extinguishers at the shop, and no one is
scared.

Why is it? When a man goes to the desert and jumps off a
cliff, to kill himself. He commits suicide. But when a man
straps on a bomb and blows up others, he's a suicide bomber.

I'm not sure,but I think it has something to do with the bomb.

Exactly. The man who jumps off a cliff to kill himself does so because
his life has become intolerable and he wants to end it. The bomber wants
to get a bomb to a target and is prepared to sacrifice himself in the
process.
The motivations are very different.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

Default Titty-titty bang-bang

Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:

Why is it? When a man goes to the desert and jumps off a
cliff, to kill himself. He commits suicide. But when a man
straps on a bomb and blows up others, he's a suicide bomber.

Exactly. The man who jumps off a cliff to kill himself does so because
his life has become intolerable and he wants to end it. The bomber
wants to get a bomb to a target and is prepared to sacrifice himself
in the process.
The motivations are very different.

"[LONDON] Agents for Britain's MI5 intelligence service have discovered that
Muslim doctors trained at some of Britain's leading teaching hospitals have
returned to their own countries to fit surgical [breast] implants filled
with explosives, according to a report..."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=123758

In related news, applications are being accepted for explosive detection
technicians. The employment line began forming at Whitehall and now extends
as far west as Fort Worth, Texas.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:22:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Only if the intent is to cause fear, or terror. You see, he
can blow up fire extinguishers at the shop, and no one is
scared.

Top posting makes it harder to remember, but I didn't suggest he was a
terrorist. Just an extremist, for trying to refill ALL the fire
extinguishers. Isn't that a little extreme?

Why is it? When a man goes to the desert and jumps off a
cliff, to kill himself. He commits suicide. But when a man
straps on a bomb and blows up others, he's a suicide bomber.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

.. .
wrote:

To his credit, he was only trying to blow up extinguishers
to the rated pressure.

But if was trying to blow them ALL up to that pressure,
wouldnt' that
be extremist?

--
Posters should say where they live, and for which area
they are asking questions. I was born and then lived in
Western Pa. 10 years
Indianapolis 7 years
Chicago 6 years
Brooklyn, NY 12 years
Baltimore 26 years
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.english.usage

"mm" wrote in message

At least the first time I would take one to get recharged, I would
find it very interesting to see the place where they do it. If I'm
lucky, I'll get to see the shop. Of course I might not get past the
counter. He he might trade me one that is already recharged for my
empty one, but I'd still find the place interesting.

Here is how they recharge dry chemical fire extinguishers.

Step one. Discharge the old unit into a container.

Step two. Inspect the inside to be sure it is empty and dry inside.

Step three. Inspect O-rings and replace as needed.

Step four. Inspect hydro-test inspection stamp and re-hydro-test if due.

Step five. Insert funnel and refill dry chemical filtering out any lumps,
weigh to assure full charge.

Step six. Install new internal inspection sticker on dip tube.

Step seven. Reassemble and charge with dry nitrogen.

Step eight. Install a charge tag and seal on outside.

The two big items are the hydro test and the cost of the chemical if the
extinguisher has been used. The latter is usually no big deal as the chem.
is baking soda with an anti caking agent and the units that fail the hydro
test add to the supply of powder. The hydro test is no big deal either. it
is done the dame way they do welding tanks, just with a lower test pressure.
The big issue is the additional time it takes to test and dry the tank.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

And he said "36 dollars or less". Every other merchant says "$N or
more", "Prices start at X dollars." What's going on here? He had an
eastern European accent, I think.

With the "or less" guy you have no surprises. The labor to charge a
unit is about the same no matter the size. The material inside is not
so much. A pro knows what the larger sizes are so he gave you th at
price, less for a smaller one.

This makes sense. I hope you are right. There are other places I
could call but some don't give addresses, and this one is much much
closer than the others that do.

The other guy may be giving you a
low ball price and then slams you when you get there.

Prices can vary by accent too.

LOL. I thought maybe there were different pricing strategies in
different parts of the world.

Especially I thought the English usage group I also posted too might
have an opinion on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:37:16 -0500, Tony
wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
mm wrote:

So I needed to recharge the fire-extinguisher I used two nights ago,
and I googled and called the place nearest me, and I described my
fire-extinguisher and asked how much to recharge.

I bought a 3 pound (ABC) Kidde from Wal-Mart for about 20 bucks.

You can buy 2 of them instead (and have the added advantage of placing
them in separate locations).

I already have a smaller one in the basement. I like that this one
was as big as it was. It took three blasts (no more than 15 seconds,
probably more like 10 total) to put the fire out.

When I had my own business my insurance wouldn't allow that. I had a
small (I forget the size) one in my shop. In writing, the insurance
inspector made me buy a larger one and REMOVE the smaller one. I
couldn't hang it at the other side of the shop, I couldn't leave it
anywhere in the shop. The small one had to be removed!

I don't believe they make rules like that for no good reason, Probably
too many people with small extinguishers that didnt' do the job. No
time to get the big one after the small one fails.

BTW, as to it being filled with baking soda, the label says:
monoammonium phosphate, mica, ammonium phosphate, talc, nuisance dust,
irritant, hmis 1-0-0

(since it's not food I've never heard that ingredients have to be in
any particular order, but maybe they are. )

Almost every reference to hmis 1-0-0 is in a pdf file, but I found one
for fire extinguishers that wasn't. "ABC dry chemical extinguisher is
the second most common extinguisher used in motor homes. The material
used in this type of extinguisher is Monoammonium Phosphate. This
material has a Hazardous Material Identification System number of HMIS
1-0-0. These numbers mean the material is a Hazardous Material that is
toxic. This material becomes very corrosive when heated. It is very
difficult to clean because it melts to the surfaces it comes in
contact with. This type of extinguisher has very limited Class A
extinguishing ability (common combustibles, paper, fiberglass, wood,
12v wiring and most of the materials used in RV’s or boats). It takes
a large ABC dry chemical extinguisher to handle a relatively small
Class A fire. These extinguishers also pack easily and loose air."

The previous paragraph is about baking soda: "BC dry powder
extinguisher is the most common and least expensive extinguisher. The
material used in this type of extinguisher is non-toxic Sodium
Bicarbonate. In a non-motorized RV (trailer or 5th wheel) no matter
the size or type of construction, only one 5 BC extinguisher is
required. For motorized RV’s classes A, B or C motor homes no matter
the size, only one 10 BC extinguisher is required. This means 5 or 10
square feet of a Class B fire fueled by flammable or combustible
liquids or flammable gas (LPG)) and Class C energized 120v electrical.
These extinguishers pack easily and can loose air over time."

I might have been a lot better off with a BC, which woudln't hurt me
or my food. I haven't turned the oven on since I used the ABC, but
it was clearly hot when I sprayed it in the first place. None of this
would matter if it werent' a continuous cleaing oven.

Still, an awful lot of fires are class A, common combustibles, paper,
fiberglass, wood,