Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Parts for Porter Cable Tools

A small belt on my Porter Cable Model 333 Series 2 random orbital sander broke.
The part number is 903373. The typical cost is about $2, but every source I have
checked wants $9 or more for shipping.

Does anyone have a favorite source for parts for Porter Cable tools that has a
more realistic shipping charge? The belt can easily ship in a letter-size
envelope for less than a dollar. There is a local Porter Cable repair facility.
Maybe they have one (which I will check tomorrow.)

As far as I can tell, all the belt does is prevent the pad from going into high
speed when it is not in contact with the sanding surface. It's used to add
friction to the pad's rotation. It doesn't look to me like it will hurt the
sander to operate it without it until I can find a new one.

We're trying to strip the dark, damaged finish off of a 100 year old dining room
table. When the belt broke, we were having marginal results using 80 grit paper.
The wood is hard as a rock. I can't find my belt sander.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

That is mother nature telling you you are using the wrong tool for the
job. Unless this is a plank 'farmers table', you don't sand, you strip
chemically. If this table is worth money, or is a family heirloom, take
it to somebody that can hot tank it for you.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Our local Tru Value Store will get parts and pieces for tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
A small belt on my Porter Cable Model 333 Series 2 random orbital sander broke.
The part number is 903373. The typical cost is about $2, but every source I have
checked wants $9 or more for shipping.

As far as I can tell, all the belt does is prevent the pad from going into high
speed when it is not in contact with the sanding surface. It's used to add
friction to the pad's rotation. It doesn't look to me like it will hurt the
sander to operate it without it until I can find a new one.

All the "belt" is is an O-ring.

First thing I do is take the thing off because all they do is add heat
that destroys the lower bearing prematurely unless the sander is only
used very intermittently.

You should have no trouble finding replacement at any decently-stocked
hardware, automotive parts or industrial supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 8:58 AM, aemeijers wrote:

That is mother nature telling you you are using the wrong tool for the
job. Unless this is a plank 'farmers table', you don't sand, you strip
chemically. If this table is worth money, or is a family heirloom, take
it to somebody that can hot tank it for you.

We consulted with a professional who quoted us $600 for the job. It's not worth
that to us. I don't know what a plank "farmer's table" is, but it sounds like
that description may fit this one. It was probably purchased from Montgomery
Ward early in the 20th century. It was my grandmother's dining room table. It
had to be very inexpensive when it was purchased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

[...]

For a single item like this, local purchase is more economical. You're on
the right track with checking for local PC authorized service center.
Yellow pages should list them. Doesn't need to be authorized center for
that though. Anyplace that repairs tools should have or be able to get it
pretty quick. Since you have the part number, phone calls should save
some running around.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red Green wrote:

For a single item like this, local purchase is more economical. You're on
the right track with checking for local PC authorized service center.
Yellow pages should list them. Doesn't need to be authorized center for
that though. Anyplace that repairs tools should have or be able to get it
pretty quick. Since you have the part number, phone calls should save
some running around.

Excellent advice in general, but... In this case the "belt" is just
a common o-ring available anywhere w/ a decent selection of same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:50*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I have the exact same ROS and needed the exact same "o" ring. It is a
poorly kept secret that the shipping and handling charges out weigh
the cost of small parts procured from all parts vendors. The S & H
profits probably are more than the profit on the small part.

Joe G
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

GROVER wrote:

I have the exact same ROS and needed the exact same "o" ring. It is a
poorly kept secret that the shipping and handling charges out weigh
the cost of small parts procured from all parts vendors. The S & H
profits probably are more than the profit on the small part.

Yeah, I've a half-dozen or so of this and the variations thereon...I've
quite a collection of "belts" in the drawer if (altho unlikely) I ever
put one back on...

And, hopefully you recognized it for what it was/is as simply an o-ring
and did the logical instead...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 9:23 AM, dpb wrote:

All the "belt" is is an O-ring.

First thing I do is take the thing off because all they do is add heat
that destroys the lower bearing prematurely unless the sander is only
used very intermittently.

You should have no trouble finding replacement at any decently-stocked
hardware, automotive parts or industrial supply.

I lucked out. There is a service center just a few miles from my office. I was
able to pick up a couple of them today for a reasonable price. Now I'm back to
trying to understand what they do. The repair guy said they keep the disk from
free-wheeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb ha scritto:
GROVER wrote:

I have the exact same ROS and needed the exact same "o" ring. It is a
poorly kept secret that the shipping and handling charges out weigh
the cost of small parts procured from all parts vendors. The S & H
profits probably are more than the profit on the small part.

Yeah, I've a half-dozen or so of this and the variations thereon...I've
quite a collection of "belts" in the drawer if (altho unlikely) I ever
put one back on...

And, hopefully you recognized it for what it was/is as simply an o-ring
and did the logical instead...

Send from http://www.nonsolonews.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 7:50*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Its good you cant find your belt sander and your sander broke, you
strip finishes off furniture with chemicals, you strip floors with
belt sanders. I have a belt for 25$ for you.