Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My Rug Is Bunching Up

New problem.

I have a 4-season sun-room addition over a crawl space.
The 12 X 20 room was built 9 years ago, and at the time I had the
floor carpeted with what I thought was good padding.

This winter the rug is showing a problem. Seems that the rug is
developing ripples some few feet long. There are some three or four
at different places. When I walk on the ripples in stocking feet, I
can feel what appear to be the padding bunching up underneath.
Is the padding simply deteriorating? If so, why? Dampness? Coldness?

I have to wonder why this is happening now, since the rug has been
down for so many years. I thought maybe the cold air in the
underneath crawlspace was the culprit. Didn't show this before
though.

I figure I am going to have to pull up the carpet and replace the
padding. This will be difficult work for this senior-senior citizen.
Whatever is wrong, though, could do the same thing with new padding.

Someone out there have some ideas on the subject?

Thanks

Duke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:22:59 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I've had carpet "ripple" like this after it had been installed for
years. Most likely, the carpet was not stretched *enough* when the
company installed it. Carpet will stretch over time...

The solution was to have the company back out and have them stretch
the carpet again. Using a power stretcher. They trimmed about two
inches at one corner and about a half inch at the other corner. There
was nothing wrong with the padding.

Careful, the ripples are a trip hazard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 3:49*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

Careful, the ripples are a trip hazard.- Hide quoted text -

Exact same experience, restretching the carpet solved the problem.
Check the padding while the carpet is up as it may need to be trimmed
a little also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Often carpets made with synthetic backing material will stretch over the
years, especially if furniture has been moved by dragging. Organic backing
material doesn't tend to behave in this manner. Re-stretching will easily
fix it as long as it hasn't gone baggy, center loose with tight edges.