Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hairbrained Lighting Idea

Our big hallway has a night light plugged into the outlet. While thinking about
the situation, I decided it might be neat to have a permanently installed light.
It seems that the type of light I would use is called a step light. Here is one
that caught my attention:

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/nsi-162.html

It would be easy to mount in an old work box on the opposite side of the stud
that the outlet is mounted to. However, unless I run a new wall switch, there
would be no way to turn it off and on. Maybe there is one of these with a light
sensor on it, like a night light has. I'm still looking.

The night light is very handle to be able to see while walking down the hallway
in the middle of the night without having to turn on the hall light that would
shine into the adjoining bedrooms. Has anyone installed such a contraption? Are
there any code issues?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mcp6453 wrote:
Our big hallway has a night light plugged into the outlet. While thinking about
the situation, I decided it might be neat to have a permanently installed light.

Yes, it would... Thanks for the idea. My wife's parents recently moved in with
us (because they're elderly and infirm), and I think this would be quite
helpful to them.

It seems that the type of light I would use is called a step light. Here is one
that caught my attention:

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/nsi-162.html

I like that. Thank you again for calling it to my attention.

It would be easy to mount in an old work box on the opposite side of the stud
that the outlet is mounted to. However, unless I run a new wall switch, there
would be no way to turn it off and on. Maybe there is one of these with a light
sensor on it, like a night light has. I'm still looking.

Who cares about turning it on and off? It's only 7 watts. Leaving it on
continuously consumes about 3kwh per month more than switching it on and off,
or somewhere in the neighborhood of a penny a day. So what?

Keep looking, and maybe you can find one with an LED lamp that consumes only
1/2 watt.

The night light is very handle to be able to see while walking down the hallway
in the middle of the night without having to turn on the hall light that would
shine into the adjoining bedrooms. Has anyone installed such a contraption?

No, but I think I soon will.

Are there any code issues?

There is one possible Code issue. Hallways ten feet or more in length are
required to have at least one receptacle[*] -- so if you install this to
replace the only receptacle in a ten-foot hallway, that's a violation.

[* -- 2008 NEC, Article 210.52(H)]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2010 10:42 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I may have answered my own question.

http://tinyurl.com/ydlegtw

Let me know how yours goes, Doug. It does seem like a neat idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:09*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++
+
Keep it simple.

We use a few LEDs plug ins, couple of bucks each, that use one half of
a duplex outlet. They give enough 'glow' (orange in this case) to be
able to see at night and leave the other half of each duplex free to
plug in the vacuum cleaner etc.

Recently was in a dollar store and picked up ($1.25 IIRC?) a sort
small luminous panel that also plugs into half a duplex outlet; it
glows sort of green all the time.

We figure all those night lights, running 24/7/365 probably use a
total of a couple of tenths of a watt per hour for an annual
electrcity cost of say 25 cents?

We are also using, for past year or so, an LED 'night light' device in
the bathroom it glows when the room light is off.

BTW one watt per hour at ten cents per kilowatt/hr is?
24 x 365 x 1 = 8760 watt/hrs.
8769 watts = 8.8 kilowatt/hrs.
8.8 kilowatt/hrs at ten cents (approx) = 88 cents.

Also trying out a nine LED strip, bought on sale for about $8, over
our double kitchen sink, it use one watt and is on continuously. Would
have preferred the 21 LED version or a second nine LED one which would
have plugged into and lengthened this one. But the one we got was the
only one in stock.

Also btw; in what, some 44 years ago, was our daughter's room the
little neon bulb inside the wall switch is still glowing whenever the
the switch is off, in series with the room light. Slight glow from
that also useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
-snip-

http://tinyurl.com/ydlegtw

I like it-- but wonder why they used ultra reliable LEDs that only
consume 3/4of a watt per hour, then add a relatively expensive,
trouble-prone [in my experience, anyway] photocell.

"American Lighting hooded recessed night lite, includes three .25-Watt
white LED's with 60,000 hour lamp life, includes 1 120-Volt
receptacle, fits a standard single gang Junction Box, #RNLS-4
photocell controlled recessed night lights automatically turn on at
dusk and off at dawn, "

The LED's should last 7 years if left on 24/7 - and if my math is
right they'll consume 60KwH of power- 30 of them when it is light.

So to save $5.00 worth of electricity in 7 yrs they add a photocell
that I'll bet won't see year 3- and for some folks that will mean
another $100 for the electrician to replace the fixture.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 10:09*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

We have something like this in our hallway:

http://www.decorativecents.com/71193.html

It's actually pretty cool as the different colors softly fade in and
out.

These might also be useful, although I don't know the power
consumption or the candle power of the "guide light" that is always
on.

http://www.decorativecents.com/71138cc.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 22, 10:42*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

However, I believe Pass & Seymour make receptacles with LED night
lights, both with and without GFCIs. I have one with GFCI ready to
install in my bathroom, soon as I get the homerun pulled. Only
downside is they are all Decora format and likely only available in
white or ivory.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

In article , mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

http://208.78.153.165/literature/pdf..._BR1151_fr.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 9:09*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I have thought about the same thing, but in my older house, I was
thinking more along the lines of one of those old-fashioned movie
theater lights, the kind they had built in to the seats along the
aisle. Kind of a hooded brass thing. If anyone knows of a source for
those I'd be grateful. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2010 5:53 PM, Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

I believe I've seem them recently, but I don't remember where. Do a search for
"step lights". Look in commercial catalogs, as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

The very definition of planned obsolescence.