Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closure on: Gas Furnace Question

On Jan 12, 2:50�am, "CWLee" wrote:
As the OP on this thread, I report on closu

I did install a new vent switch, but that did not really
change the behavior of the furnace. �My friend explained the
matter to the landlord, and eventually, for $169, a
technician arrived to diagnose and
fix the problem. �He said the "stop" switch was not working,
pointing to the vent switch I had installed. �My friend
explained that it was brand new. �The technician repeated
that it wasn't working, and added that it was the "wrong
kind". �He removed it, added a similar looking switch and
that seems to have solved the problem. �I have not had a
chance to get a really close look at the new switch to see
how it is different, but the furnace does seem to behave
normally now.

Thanks to all who provided help on this situation.

I repair roll laminators for a living...GBC Seal Laminex USI Ledco
Idex, and others..

Always find it funny that customers who tried and failed to fix
something, when told of the real problem say thats not it now fix the
problem.

this has even happened with manufactuers who sent me on warranty
calls.

thats not it, now fix the problem... they hadnt a clue

I have asked them so why did you call me if you knew what would fix
it???

a experienced tech has seen all sorts of wierd troubles, and had to
solve them previously. part of what you pay for repairs is buying that
experience..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 12, 2:50�am, "CWLee" wrote:
[...]

It's sad that I have to explain to people that the product I sell is
my time, knowledge, expertise and experience, not parts. When a lawyer
hands you a couple of sheets of paper with some printing on them and
says that will be $150.00, there are people who won't bat an eye but
I spend a couple of hours figuring out the intermittent problem they're
having with their latest new whizzbang technowidget and hand them a bill
for $150.00, the same folks will have a fit. There are some people who
aren't charged a dime, like the elderly mother of a friend.

TDD