Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
jg jg is offline

Default Spa GFCI Trips with 120VAC load. What next?

The Background:
I had the motor on my 1994 FunSpa go bad on me. I purchased a used
one from a local spa dealer. Before I hooked up all the plumbing, I
hooked up the electrical wires to it and fired it up. It worked on
both low and high w/o any issues. I ran it less than 30 seconds
total. I then bolted it down and put all the plumbing and electrical
back the way it was.

The Problem:
As soon as I supplied power it the spa, the built in GFCI tripped. I
tried this a few times to no avail. So I started trouble shooting.

The Tests:
Here are the things I tested and the result from each test.
1. Disconnected the heater.
Still tripped
2. Disconnected the motor.
Still tripped
3. Disconnected the blower.
Still tripped
4. Disconnected a prong that goes up to the control panel
Still tripped
5. Educated myself on how GFCI's work. Disconnected the 120 VAC load
from the GFCI.
DID NOT TRIP
6. Reconnected the load and removed the fuse that feeds all the 120
VAC components.
DID NOT TRIP

The Additional Info on my Setup:
I have two GFCI in series. The built in one and the 50 Amp I placed 8
ft upstream of the spa. The built in one is a Leviton 06895. Which
as far as I can tell is the same as the 6895 and has the same form
factor as the 8895. Here is a link to the 8895. Go to page 184, it
is a large document. I'm using it as in Diagram # 3.

http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Su.../74OEMMAIN.pdf

I do not believe having two GFCI's in series is not the problem as I
have been running like that for over 4 years. This next link is a
picture of my tub's electrical panel. Note most everything is
disconnected. This is also a large file.

http://www.acequality.net/temp/tubpanel01.jpg

The Questions:
1. Where do I go from here? What else do I need to test.
2. Could having run the tub w/o any water be the cause of my
problems? Did I fry something by doing this?
3. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic of the panel?

The Conclusion:
I own a nice voltmeter and I am not afraid to use it. I just need to
know where to use it.

Thanx to all in advance who help out.
jg