Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what's this thing called? (sheetmetal ductwork)

was in my basement today because my laundry room is typically quite warm
in the winter despite not having a heat vent. Figured there had to be a
leaky duct joint somewhere, sure enough, I found it. Where the main
supply trunk makes a 90 up by the ceiling, it connects to a plenum, and
along the top of the duct it was connected with a Z-shaped piece of
metal. Apparently it'd either been assembled wrong or at some point was
flexed and put back wrong; the one piece of duct was completely outside
the "Z" making a massive leak, and it was only (partially) held together
with duct tape. I ripped all the tape off, disassembled enough stuff to
get the "Z" piece out, and went to the store (I'd mangled the "Z" pretty
badly getting it out.)

I was able to find a new "Z" piece but not replacements for the other
pieces that hold the sides of the duct together. Those are like a "U"
that's been flattened and closed, and the pieces of duct have the
sheetmetal ends bent back on themselves. I'm sure those of you who have
messed with HVAC stuff know what I'm talking about. I was able to
mangle those back into shape enough to put the duct back together, but
if I need to buy any of these in the future, what should I ask for, so I
can call around and see if anyone has them rather than drive to a whole
mess of different stores and be disappointed?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:

I was able to find a new "Z" piece but not replacements for the other
pieces that hold the sides of the duct together. Those are like a "U"
that's been flattened and closed, and the pieces of duct have the
sheetmetal ends bent back on themselves. I'm sure those of you who have
messed with HVAC stuff know what I'm talking about. I was able to
mangle those back into shape enough to put the duct back together, but
if I need to buy any of these in the future, what should I ask for, so I
can call around and see if anyone has them rather than drive to a whole
mess of different stores and be disappointed?

Straps are generally made on site by any tin shop I've seen...stuff like
that's why they bring their mobile tinshop in the trailer w/ 'em to
installations...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you! What's the other bit called, just out of curiosity?

nate

(now I just need to find a store that sells them)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

S cleat...home centers should have both...

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article , says...
[...]

They are cleats. HD has short ones in bags and 4 or 5 foot lengths that
you cut as required.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you, however, Home Despot does not.

Of course, the fact that the Despot sucks big hairy goat balls is Not
News. I chose my location badly; there are literally three Despots more
convenient to me than any other store save for one small mom 'n' pop.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
S cleat...home centers should have both...

I agree with you, however, Home Despot does not.

Of course, the fact that the Despot sucks big hairy goat balls is Not
News. I chose my location badly; there are literally three Despots more
convenient to me than any other store save for one small mom 'n' pop.

You could probably save yourself a lot of grief and time if you found a
sheet metal
shop and walked in with the mangled part or a dimensioned drawing of what
you needed.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
S cleat...home centers should have both...

I agree with you, however, Home Despot does not.

Of course, the fact that the Despot sucks big hairy goat balls is Not
News. I chose my location badly; there are literally three Despots more
convenient to me than any other store save for one small mom 'n' pop.

You could probably save yourself a lot of grief and time if you found a
sheet metal
shop and walked in with the mangled part or a dimensioned drawing of what
you needed.

Well, there's the problem... all that stuff is miles away.

Like I said, I managed to mangle it back together, although my original
plan, which was to clean off the ducts and tape the joints, is somewhat
stalled due to running out of clean shop rags and lack of motivation. I
did get the whole plenum properly assembled and taped however; we'll see
if the bedroom stays warmer tonight. My original problem was poor
airflow to the upstairs ducts; I'm sure the misassembled joint between
the two big pieces of ductwork didn't help. Now if I'd slept in the
laundry room, I'd have been nice and toasty

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 8:24*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

You can always buy aluminum flashing material and cut it to whatever
you need and then use pop rivets to hold evrything together. Once you
are happy with how that works, then you can use high-quality duct tape
(metal covered) to seal any remaining leaks. ALso, if you run the
blower continuously, you can even out the heating in various rooms in
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to seal up the ducts so they stay sealed from now on, use
the mastic sealer made for ducts. Unfortunatly, the stuff HD/Lowes has
is in quarts and costs about the same as a gallon costs at an a/c supply
house. If you have access to an a/c supply houe that will sell to the
public, there is a sealer that is actually made for outdoor use (like
the ductwork on rooftop units). It costs a lot more, but IMO it is worth
it, and a gallon does seem to go a little further than the regular
sealer, so that evens it out a little. One name of the outdoor stuff is
"AirSeal 11" Sealing straight, flat seams/joints with tape is easy and
works ok, but this is the way to go with the kind of seams you are
talking about. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:

If you want to seal up the ducts so they stay sealed from now on, use
the mastic sealer made for ducts. Unfortunatly, the stuff HD/Lowes has
is in quarts and costs about the same as a gallon costs at an a/c supply
house. If you have access to an a/c supply houe that will sell to the
public, there is a sealer that is actually made for outdoor use (like
the ductwork on rooftop units). It costs a lot more, but IMO it is worth
it, and a gallon does seem to go a little further than the regular
sealer, so that evens it out a little. One name of the outdoor stuff is
"AirSeal 11" Sealing straight, flat seams/joints with tape is easy and
works ok, but this is the way to go with the kind of seams you are
talking about. Good luck Larry

The foil duct seal tape that has a black sticky layer works quite well
and is a bit easier to handle than a paste product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slips and drives. Any good tin shop will have them. You can also
seal all joints with "hard cast" - you paint it on with a throw
away paint brush, one good brand is Childers:

http://www.fosterproducts.com/defaul...168&cat_id=167

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .