Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing Inflatable Cushion

A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak. I
was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but taping this
did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an appropriate material /
glue to fix this sort of thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

W wrote:
A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak. I
was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but taping this
did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an appropriate material /
glue to fix this sort of thing?

You might try using a water bed repair kit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W" wrote in message
A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak. I
was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but taping this
did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an appropriate material /
glue to fix this sort of thing?

Ace has a Vinyl Mender that may do the job on the seam.
It comes in a small tube.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W" wrote in
:

A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak.
I was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but
taping this did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an
appropriate material / glue to fix this sort of thing?

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...c&that=Plastic

"There are so many kinds of plastic its hard to give advice
here that applies to them all. If possible try a small
test in an area that doesn't show."

The size of the user MAY also be a factor. Think wax toilet gaskets that
fail frequently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

W wrote:
A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak.
I was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but
taping this did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an
appropriate material / glue to fix this sort of thing?

I have successfully used a product called Aquaseal to seal up holes in
waterbeds (full of water!), wetsuits, and even the inflatable bladders
of buoyancy compensators (the flotation devices used by scuba divers).
It has the consistency and appearance of model airplane glue. Smells
like model airplane cement too. Curing takes about 12 hours, IIRC.

There is a second product that you can use with the Aquaseal if you want
to speed up curing to less than 2 hours: Cotol 240.

http://www.mcnett.com/Aquaseal-Ureth...lant-P234.aspx
http://www.mcnett.com/Cotol-240-Clea...ator-P238.aspx

You should be able to find both products in any scuba shop or you can
get it from the manufacturer's links.

I believe Aquaseal can solve your problem for you. You can use it
either as an adhesive on the seam or to form a new skin directly over a
small hole.... which is how I fixed my leaking waterbed.... no steenking
patches for me! It's good stuff.

Jay